ESSE 3 pocket sheath ?

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Mack, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Mack

Mack Member

And you leave the knife in the sheath until it air dries ?

2. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

Yep usally over night, if you want wrap the blade with plastic wrap, I do if it is someone else's knife but mine I just strop and clean the blade when I am done. Gives me another reason to play lol.

3. Mack

Mack Member

Thanks Wild bill sheath should be here the end of next week. I'll give it a try. I guess if I mess it up I'll order another one .. Lol. Thanks again..

4. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

Before you order another send it to me I will see if I can fix it for you, be cheaper I will just ask for you to pay shipping back to you.

5. Mack

Mack Member

I will. Thanx..

6. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

Did it arrive yet? Any luck forum fitting it?

7. Mack

Mack Member

Orderd it from knife country . Supposed to be deliverd tomorrow.

8. Mack

Mack Member

Finally got the Sharpshooter in today after over two weeks. Wont get to wet form till maybe Sunday. May try using the vaccum sealer method. Any experiences with that ???? 20170216_190102.jpg

9. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

Yep works great but some bags leave a design in the leather not much of one but can happen.

10. Mack

Mack Member

I was reading that a couple of smooth viva paper towels will stop that.. ? What do you recommend putting on it after it dries?

11. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

Wrap it before you shrink it make sure there are no fold or creases.

12. Mack

Mack Member

IMG_0335.JPG
    I got the sheath wet formed. I'm really happy with it . Great retention with a nice snap. Also etched and stripped the knife. Thanks for the help with wet forming Wildbill . It was actually pretty painless.

13. olywa

olywa Member

Wildbill - thanks for the wetforming tips, I'm going to try that on my 3 and Sharpshooter. I'd be interested in hearing more about wax treating it as well. How does that work and do you wax both the inside and outside?

14. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

For the wax treatment, make sure leather is completely dry. I use cotton balls or toilet paper and stuff it so the wax will not get inside sheath. I use my wifes old hand wax machine you can get them at Walmart for $30 . I like using it because it keeps the wax at a constant temperature and will not get so hot that you will burn your self or have fire issues. I just dip the sheath a couple of times so it is completely coated. Let it dry completely and then I use a heat gun and set it to low and run it over the wax coated sheath till you see the wax melting again. DO NOT HOLD IT ON ONE SPOT OR YOU WILL MELT THE LEATHER LMAO. Once one side melts do the other side same way. I then use old rag wipe off some of the wax. Remove the cotton ot toilet paper put knife in and repeat but this time, wipe melt wax and use fingers to forum leather as you go. Do this on both sides. Keep doing this till leather looks dry but not dried out. Let it sit till wax that has soaked in leather has dried. Then just use dry rag and buff till it is shinning. Then leather should be stiff and kinda hard.pull knife out and wipe down it will look wet from all the water being removed from leather. For maintaining just use damp cloth and a hair drier to clean.
    If any of this does not make since ask away I will try to answer you questions easily lol. Or if you want me to do it for you I will for $10.00 plus shipping back to you.

15. olywa

olywa Member

Thanks, just what I was looking for.