Esee sheaths over the years?

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Lost-n-the-woods, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Lost-n-the-woods

Lost-n-the-woods Member

I notice that my skull logo Esee 5 sheath is different from all the recent Esee’s I’ve bought the last couple of years. When did sheaths change. Why were they changed? Do you have a preference? I know it really isn’t important but I’m loving my Esee’s and wanna know about them.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  2. Ossian

Ossian Member

My 4, first esee, came with a kydex sheath. The 5 was my next purchase, kydex sheath also. I believe they changed the 4 sheath years ago to the thermoplastic sheath. The material holds up better to extreme temps than kydex does from what I remember reading on the forum. I do believe this is true. I kept the 4 in my work truck for years before swapping it for the 5. The kydex sheath for my 4 has loosened up considerably. South Dakota weather, summer possibly triple digits, winter time negative temperatures regularly. I haven’t noticed the 5 sheath loosening but it also has the adjustable tension screw on the sheath. I have a 3 with the thermoplastic sheath. Both style of sheaths serve the purpose. I should hit the kydex sheath with some heat to tighten it up some.

3. Ossian

Ossian Member

2E4A7682-47DE-469E-A63A-5D383BB7651C.jpeg
    Old school sheath.

4. Lost-n-the-woods

Lost-n-the-woods Member

Here’s my old school 5 on the left and a newer 6 on the right. I much prefer the look and texture/feel of the older one. 2C87EA09-7071-47C4-B943-D8B0A0D01774.jpeg

KnOeFz and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  5. KnOeFz

KnOeFz Member

as far as I can remember only the 4 and the 5 and the Junglas came with kydex in the past.
    Don't think the 6 ever came with factory kydex.

edit. Oh, and the CM6 does come with kydex

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  6. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

And the Laserstrike

KnOeFz, Zeek and Lost-n-the-woods like this.
  7. KnOeFz

KnOeFz Member

Ofcoarse, how could I forget :D
    Thanks for that.

8. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

ESEE 5 sheath has always been kydex to my knowledge. Not sure why... there was no "switch". Some models had our injection moulded sheath (most) and a few options have kydex.. of the top of my head the E5, Laser Strike, CM6, and Junglas/J2. There were some E4 kydex options at one time as well.

We (ESEE) prefer the injection moulded sheaths for a number of reasons. First, they are NOT as sensitive to temperature changes as kydex. Also the QC is easier to control with the injection moulded process than kydex and it's better suited for mass production.

otis, Maurice DeLaune, KnOeFz and 3 others like this.