ESEE BRK Avispa Folder Thoughts?

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by A.Elder, Oct 24, 2021.

?

Do you like this knife?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Kinda

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Circumstancial

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. A.Elder

A.Elder Member

This knife recently caught my attention. Have it ordered and on the way. Just wanted to see what peoples thoughts are on this folder in general. Good for EDC, Camping? Best steel type? Etc.

2. Bozho

Bozho Member

I like the shape and the fact that it can be had in D2 steel, but the handle looks very thin.
    After using the HMs with their full and rounded scales I couldn't have a thin handled knife anymore and even got rid of my CS folders, but that's just me.

A.Elder likes this.
  3. anomad

anomad Member

The frame lock can be a little stiff to operate one handed on mine. My pocket clip was giving it some added tension and it's not hard to fight yourself if you don't watch where you put your fingers. If you have any manual dexterity and common sense you'll figure it out.

But excellent blade shape and gets crispy sharp at 17 degrees per side. I carried it the last 3-4 weeks and intentionally cut a lot of difficult things, like aluminum cans. It held an edge very nicely. I don't have any "super steel" to compare it to.

A.Elder likes this.
  4. A.Elder

A.Elder Member

My pocket knives see a lot of submersion in water, I tend to go with aus-8 because of this. Would D2 hold up in those conditions?

5. Bozho

Bozho Member

A folder that I carry a lot has D2 and is prone to rust, however it has an awful blade finish, very rough and makes rusting easy. Sweat in the pocket, remaining moisture after washing it - it gets rusty spots. If the Avispa has a better finish I am sure it will be more resistant.

6. A.Elder

A.Elder Member

Gotta say, had this thing a week and it is amazing! Put a snake knot thumb lanyard on it and removed a little tension off of the pocket clip. Cut down a 3/4 in bush with almost no effort. Very impressed with this knife!

SqueeDab likes this.
  7. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I just got one 20211127_074703.jpg yesterday from a trade. Not sure if I like it or not. The quality is definitely there but it's big for a folder and it is pretty thin. I doubt I'll be carrying it because of the size so I'll either sell it or it'll be another drawer sitter.

Stray Round likes this.
  8. SqueeDab

SqueeDab Member

EE73EE74-1092-4FC5-9B23-D125AB75D13D.jpeg

I like all of these. AUS steel has always served me well.

Bozho likes this.
  9. anomad

anomad Member

I have the D2 variant and rust hasn't been a problem at all. I'm even in the process of selling off all my 1095 since I live in a very humid climate and don't like keeping up with the maintenance.

10. Bozho

Bozho Member

How do you feel about the thin handle? Is it really uncomfortable in use, compared to the RAT1 for example?

11. anomad

anomad Member

That is a good question. I never thought about the comfort in use compared to other knives I have. So I guess that suggests it is not uncomfortable! Haha.

I just cut a cardboard box up using it and my favorite Spyderco and tried to observe the relative comfort of each. The handle is fine for how I use a folding knife. No complaints. Interestingly, cutting cardboard the thin blade really slides through in comparison. I don't have a RAT1 to compare against.

Bozho likes this.