ESEE-3 MIL seems a bit off. Possibly fake?

Discussion in 'Counterfeits and Fakes' started by John C, May 18, 2020.

1. John C

John C Member

Hello All,

New to the forum here, but not to ESEE Knives.

I found a decent deal on and ESEE-3 MIL on Ebay (I know) from a seller not selling just this one ESEE and not a bunch of them for a very reasonable price and offering free returns so I gave it a shot shot.

Sheath, finish and handles seem right, but right away the logo and etchings looked a bit off to me. All of them seem a bit fatter, or thicker everywhere. I am not familiar enough with laser etchings, but didn't think that was possible, as it can be with inks or liquids. I own several ESEE knives (Izulas, ESEE 4 and 5, RAT Cutlery RC-3 and RC-4) and all are very crisp etches. These seem to almost fill up some areas like the hole in the top of the "A"s and all the shapes just seem fatter, or spread a bit overall.

Is it possibly a fake, or are there some legit ones that this happens with as part of the process now and then? I have never encountered it, but hoped someone here might know. Thank you in advance for any insights.

Attached Files:

2. IW17

IW17 Member

Seems legit to me

3. John C

John C Member

Thanks IW17. Overall it seems it, but the etching, especially in the logo is definitely not as clear as all others I have which is what is causing me to question it. It is definitely much thicker and filling in overall.