EDC Fixed Blade Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by hebrewhammer762, May 4, 2021.

1. hebrewhammer762

hebrewhammer762 Member

Good afternoon all,

I'm looking into getting a fixed blade to complement my Leatherman that I carry most days. Obviously not looking for something huge . Probably looking for something around a 3 inch blade length, give or take a bit, but not something as small as say a Candiru. I'd ideally like to keep the price under $120, but a little over is fine if you think it's worth the money. If y'all wouldn't mind dropping me some recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: I should also clarify that it doesn't need to be an ESEE, but if it is, that's obviously ok.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  2. Gunn

Gunn Member

I have found 2 ESEE knives that blow me away, and they are both pocketable. First, I purchased an ESEE-3 HMK. I was amazed at the ergonomics of the HM handle. Also, the 3 has a slim blade at 1/8 inch, making it light and slicey. Leave the clip off and just put it in your pocket.

Well I thought I had the perfect EDC blade, then someone on this forum sold me a used Izula II. Great doesn't begin to describe this knife. It is superb. the handle is comfortably hand filling for its size (I'm 6'3 with big hands,) the blade profile is near perfect, and it just begs to be used. I find my self sitting on the couch fondling the Izzy-2 when I watch tv. OH, the Izzy-2 has the same blade thickness as the ESEE4 and 6, 3/16 of an inch. It's not afraid of anything.

There you go, 2 amazing fixed blades for your pocket. ~Cheers!

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Mike Smith, Bozho, C99c and 2 others like this.
  3. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

The CR3.0

Adventurer, Gunn, C99c and 1 other person like this.
  4. Justin Bohnett

Justin Bohnett Member

I've been carrying a White River Knives M1 Caper almost everyday for just over a year now. It has fantastic ergos, a versatile sheath, and is made from top shelf materials.

20210203_153406.jpg

Michael W., olywa, Bluelew and 3 others like this.
  5. ny700

ny700 Member

A knife that does not get a lot of attention the Fällkniven KK VG10 light weight good ergos easy to pocket carry
    Takes a killer edge and the handle is super grippy even when wet 0543402E-0718-490A-A24B-87FDAAEB4DC4.jpeg

6. Bozho

Bozho Member

The 3HM indeed can be carried in the pocket and I do it from time to time. Mine has a leather sheath, the kydex would be a lot better. But for true EDC I would get the Izzy 2, in fact I plan on doing it on the next payday, as I freed one spot in the stable, by selling a folder. Izzy 2 and a Leatherman is going to be a perfect combo.

7. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Might be hard to find now but look at the Izula in stainless steel. The Knife Connection makes some great scales (and extended scales) if you are looking to add a handle to it.

hebrewhammer762 likes this.
  8. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Member

I’ve started EDCing small fixed blades again the past few months.
    About 6 years ago I enjoyed EDCing an Izula2 for several years and it was capable of doing more than its size would lead one to believe.

I just got an LT Wright Bandit which is a Smoky Mountain Knife Works exclusive. Sets well in the pocket and I really like its slicyness and ergos. I wear XXL gloves.

9. hebrewhammer762

hebrewhammer762 Member

Thanks for the suggestions thus far! Feel free to keep them coming.

I think my only real hesitation with getting something like a 3HM or Izula 2 is the fact that they're 1095, and considering they're gonna be used for food prep, might be a bad idea. That being said, I've never really had a problem with my LS, and keep a good maintenance cycle, so I might be over-thinking it. The Izula series also seems dummy thick for such a small blade.

That Caper/Backpacker is looking mighty tempting thought!

Justin Bohnett likes this.
  10. hebrewhammer762

hebrewhammer762 Member

I'm just curious, how do you carry your Backpacker? I'm looking into getting this one with an Armatus cross draw sheath.

11. Justin Bohnett

Justin Bohnett Member

I have a blaze orange Armatus sheath that I use for hunting season. 99.9% of the time I belt carry with a Bark River sheath that was meant for a Bravo Necker. I prefer leather sheaths, and this one carries very discreetly, high on the belt, and close to the body. Also, the rare earth magnet for retention is super cool.
    20210505_224641.jpg

12. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Member

For what it’s worth, I have three EDC set-ups, depending on when and where:
    Skeletool paired with Candiru;
    Rebar paired with Izula (I or II, depending);
    Wave+, Izula II, Pocketwrench, small prybar.

I have absolute faith in ESEE knives, and the smaller models punch way above their weight.

13. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

I carried an ESEE 3 daily for over 8 years. That kinda made it my standard for all other 3inch fixed blades. That said, I’ve EDCed a few others. The Mora Companion HD honestly was the only one that came close to the carry time of the ESEE 3. (Purely based on what was most frequently grabbed when heading out the door). I have a friend who swears by the Spyderco Street Beat. (And that guy has a lot more edc fixed blades than I do lol). Well that’s my 2 cents. Hope you find what you’re looking for!

hebrewhammer762 and Bozho like this.
  14. hebrewhammer762

hebrewhammer762 Member

How are the Izula's for food prep type work in your experience? They seem a tad thick for what I normally do, but I understand that they're popular for a reason. Also, as for the Candiru, the blade is just a bit too short/thick to justify carrying it imo, but I'll probably get one eventually because I think it's cool.

15. hebrewhammer762

hebrewhammer762 Member

I'm looking at maybe getting a 3 in S35VN, so that's definitely an option.

Caleb O and Justin Bohnett like this.
  16. Justin Bohnett

Justin Bohnett Member

Can't go wrong there... Just don't loan it to @Patrick Rollins

17. hebrewhammer762

hebrewhammer762 Member

Yeah... I tend to like my knives in one piece haha.
    My only concern is with the choil being too small/taking up too much space. All things considered, if you could only have one, would you pick the 3 or the Backpacker?

18. Justin Bohnett

Justin Bohnett Member

Oof... That's a tough one.
    For me personally I would choose the White River Knives Caper because it's smaller / more pocketable. It takes up less room on a belt, or in a pack.

I use my Caper mainly for EDC tasks and hunting. It's not great for bushcraft. I wouldn't call the Caper a "survival" knife. It can feather stick and baton, but it wouldn't be my first choice for either (it would do in an extreme pinch).

If you're looking for more of a versatile knife, but not worried about size, or crazy looks from non-knife people, I would choose the 3. The 3 feather sticks pretty well, and the ergos are better suited for hard use.

My dilemma with the 3 is if I'm looking for something more substantial that I can beat up I go straight to my JG5. I'm not a fan of the choil on the 3 either.

I hope this helps in your decision!

19. hebrewhammer762

hebrewhammer762 Member

Thanks for your input. If I'm looking for a beater I'm taking either my Laser Strike or a hatchet. The Backpacker's size definitely looks more appealing for what I'm gonna do with it. I wouldn't mind a Xancudo fixed either, but I just can't stand the scale coloration.

20. Clown

Clown Member

Bark River makes a lot of smaller knives. They are (unfortunately) priced a bit higher than than your budget but you can sometimes find them priced more reasonably second hand.