Eastern Tennessee

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by KMCMICHAEL, Sep 2, 2020.

1. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

The wife wants to move when she retires to get away from Texas property tax. I suggested Knoxville, TN.
    We road bike and like to hike. I would possibly like to get back into paddling, fly fishing, skeet, rifle shooting or maybe traditional archery. Due to her wanting to be near a doctor Knoxville seems logical, within an hour. There is the Volunteer Gun Club near there. I would like a small garden. None of these are requirements, merely preferences.

Can anyone with knowledge offer an opinion?

2. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I’d look at Lenoir City or that area. Maybe Vonore. Very nice subdivision called Tellico Village there. Both are close to Knoxville. That area is rich with all the things you’ve mentioned. To me, there’s no where like East TN.

Guillermo and DYSPHORIC JOY like this.
  3. erik

erik Member

stay as far away from Sevierville as possible -- SMKW, bud's guns, coleman outlet, lodge outlet 1/2 mile South of I-40 and Bass Pro just North of it...

TerryD likes this.
  4. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I do not have any first hand experience with the Tennessee.

That said my family has been seriously looking at retiring to the Johnson City area.

The property prices seems extremely good and a small home farm is very possible. We are hoping for a 10 or more acre piece of land with stick built home and there are plenty of options.

My wife works in the medical field and that is one of the big reasons we have looked at the area.
    There are a number of large hospitals scattered around including regional type, VA and Level 1 adult and pediatric Trauma centers. If you need to be close to doctors then it looks to be a good area.

5. C99c

C99c Member

I like the area starting at the Georgia line, east of Hwy 411. Look north and or east from there.

Lot of good secluded little places, far away from the GatlinburgPigeonForgeSevierville big ball of stupidity but still only a short drive to Knoxville.

6. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Just stay out of the area north of Knoxville. That's where Mike Perron lives. He's the mayor of Blaine so he's got speed traps setup everywhere

7. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

Look at Sweetwater and Tellico Plains Area.

I've lived in Tellico Village for 12 years. Nice but just giant subdivisions.
    Nothing over quarter acre lots. POA. Restrictions etc. Prices are up due to high demand.

Maryville area isn't bad.
    Townsend might be OK.
    You might look at Winchester area. More towards Chattanooga. More rural.
    Maybe Elizabethton towards Johnson City.

Wisdom and KMCMICHAEL like this.
  8. IW17

IW17 Member

My family lives in Niota, which is right between Sweetwater and Athens. I love the area, but it's growing up fast. Tellico is nice. Still not very developed. Etowah is still pretty rural and the prices are decent. I've heard the schools aren't the best but that only matters if you have children using them.

Zeek, KMCMICHAEL and Dennis Adams like this.
  9. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

Was driving around the other day. Near Knoxville and Maryville.
    I liked the Friendsville and Louisville area.
    Seemed country like but near shopping and the Smokies.

10. Wisdom

Wisdom Member