Does anyone make thicker JG3 scales?

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by MrKanuhead, Jan 31, 2017.

1. MrKanuhead

MrKanuhead Member

I've been using the JG3 since it came out and it's a very handy tool, both outdoors and around the house. However, I've even thinking about putting thicker, more rounded scales on it - ideally with a palm swell and a thicker pommel, similar to the TKC replacement handles. I suppose people call this a coke bottle shape. Unfortunately TKC doesn't offer a replacement JG3 set, so I was wondering if anyone else could make them.

2. wilas101

wilas101 Member

I haven't found anything yet either. Ethan at TKC said "probably 2017" when I asked so that's all I know.

3. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

How crafty would you say you are? Have you considered putting a set of liners on it to thicken it up and slowly sanding the corners of the scales to round them up? Just a thought. Of course TKC scales are money well spent IMO (if/when they are produced for the JG3). I had a similar issue with my Laser Strike. I wanted rounder corners so I carefully sanded the stock micarta grips. It improved them but a set of scales from Dale ultimately went on it.

MrKanuhead likes this.
  4. olderguy

olderguy Member

I got scales for my Laser Strike from TKC and added homemade liners and sanded a bit and the fit is much better

5. MrKanuhead

MrKanuhead Member

I thought about getting liners and rounding off the scales, but I'd rather keep my stock scales as is, in case I decide to go back to them. I do have access to a friend's woodworking shop, so I could make my own, but... Even though I like tinkering with my knives, in this case I'm feeling lazy and would rather buy new scales than make them. ;)

I might try just adding the liners as an interim solution. Any idea where I can buy liner material and longer bolts? The stock bolts on the JG3 are too short to accommodate thicker scales without counter-sinking.

6. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

Yeh, there's certainly a lot more to making a set of scales than just cutting and drilling. As far as the liner material I have been shopping for G10 to make a set. But I too am leaning more toward buying a set rather than commit to making one. However, a few sites that I've eyeballed heavily have been USA knife maker, Alpha Knife Supply, Texas Knife Maker, and Atlas Billiards. I haven't ordered from any of these so I can't speak for them. I'm sure there are many more but these were the most frequent in my search history. As far as longer hardware, shoot that beats me. I personally know just enough to botch a set trying to countersink my holes.
    Let us see if how it turns out if you end up making or buying a set.

MrKanuhead likes this.
  7. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Alpha Knife Supply, and Jantz Supply are great to deal with.

Sometimes Home Depot has the longer screws, but only in stainless.

If you don't mind using fleebay the seller, makermaterialsupply is good to deal with. I have purchased from them repeatedly with good service. They are also on instagram.

MrKanuhead and Kaw-liga like this.
  8. MrKanuhead

MrKanuhead Member

Thanks for the vendor suggestions, folks.

Still, if someone knows of a maker who can hook me up with a set of scales, I'm open to suggestions.

9. kculbert

kculbert Member

I just emailed Ethan from the knife connection. According to him, g10 scales are in development for the jg3, jg5 and rb3. So, hopefully we'll have some options soon!

MrKanuhead and W.Jester like this.