Does anyone here keep bees?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VolGrad, Feb 19, 2017.

1. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Just curious. As part of my job I attended our state's Beekeeping Association Spring Conference with approximately 300 registered members. I loaded up on some good honey and a couple of honey pops (lollipops made from honey). I was wondering if anyone here kept bees, pulled their own honey, and made their own products for sale.

Delkancott and Theodore like this.
  2. tangomike3

tangomike3 Member

Have a large apiary at the farm and have had active bees on and off for several years. My problem is that I am too close to power lines and right of way that GA Power sprays their bee-killing herbicide on. They are supposed to spray at night when the bees are not out but it costs them more money, so they don't. I have 4 active hives left at some other property that I will move to Alabama soon as I finish the apiary there. If they do well may build the population up. I do it for the fun and honey for friends and family. I have a neighbor and good friend that has turned a hobby into a thriving business with over 30 hives. They branched out from just honey to bee jewelry and pendants, lib balm and creams and doing quite well. If you want to talk to him, PM me and I will send you his contact info.

Start small and see how they well they thrive and to ensure you don't have any environmental issues. I spent about 5k on building a bear resistant apiary, no such thing as bear proof, and 16 full hives and the equipment/tools to support. I could have bought a lifetime supply of honey for me, extended family and 100 of my closest friends for that amount.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Theodore likes this.
  3. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

I just started last year. We've got two healthy growing hives. Haven't been able to get but a small amount of honey just yet. They are fun so far. Been really interesting watching how they live.

Theodore likes this.
  4. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

We have some hives on the farm, but they are someone else's just using our space.

Theodore likes this.
  5. C99c

C99c Member

I really wanted to start a couple of years ago but the location didn't work out. Maybe sometime in the future.

We have a lot of friends locally that do and always buy from them.

Put some in straws and seal the ends with a lighter for a great little natural energy boost while on the trail or just through the work day.

6. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

That's he best way. No work. No expense. Free honey as rent.

7. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Many years old but why start a new one? :)

I am curios if anyone else has been raising bees?
    Seriously Starting to like the idea Maybe starting in the fall.

8. ASH

ASH Member

I have always thought about it but just don't have the time to take it on.

9. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Hopefully "tripping" into Bee Keeping soon :) To long of a story to read.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    ASH likes this.