Disabled Vets get FREE Lifetime National Park Pass

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, May 23, 2019.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I had heard of this before but got this in a Email today. Great way to get out this Memorial Day weekend :)

Long story Short if you have 10% or more disability rating from the VA you take proof to the nearest National Park Service managed location and you get a Lifetime Access Pass for FREE! It’s good for you and anyone in your vehicle.

I have also heard there is something similar for other types of parks and outdoor REC areas but I don’t know any details. (I know MS has one for example but is a lot harder to get)

https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/60...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VAntage?

erik, Drew RedBear, Rankor and 5 others like this.
  2. jeeter

jeeter Member

I've never heard of this. Very useful info. Thanks for posting it!:)

3. Wose

Wose Member

Many states also offer a discount on camping/park fees and such, as well as discounted hunting and fishing licenses.

4. Gunn

Gunn Member

I recently researched this to replace a lost pass and things changed, but here's the info: https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

See a list of all federal recreation sites (PDF), including national parks, where the passes are issued.

The following passes are available:

The "Access Pass" is available free if you have a significant impairment or disability. They now have an affidavit you file and don't press you for the Doctor's Statement. This is a LIFETIME PASS. As Federal waterways are managed by the Army Corps. of Engineers, I went to a local dam with an Army Corps office right at the base of the dam.

For other info here is some copy/paste from https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

Annual Pass

Senior Pass
    see PDF list of federal recreation sites that issue passes)

Cost: Free (see note in "how to obtain" for more details)Available for: U.S. citizens or permanent residents with permanent disabilities. Applicants must provide documentation of permanent disability and residency or citizenship.
    How to obtain:
    In person at a federal recreation site (see PDF list of federal recreation sites that issue passes)

Online through the USGS Store.
    Note: The cost of obtaining an Access Pass online is $10 for processing (the pass is free).

Through the mail using this application form (PDF).
          • NOTE: The cost of obtaining an Access Pass through the mail is $10 for processing the application (the pass is free).
      • Additional information:
        • The Access Pass may provide a 50 percent discount on some amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launching, and specialized interpretive services.
        • The Access Pass generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.
        • Golden Access Passports are no longer sold. However, these passes will continue to be honored according to the provisions of the pass.
        • Frequently Asked Questions about the Interagency Access Pass (USGS website)
        • You can also see a list of all federal recreation sites (PDF), including national parks, where the passes are issued.

• Cost: Free (valid for 12 months from the date of issue)
      • Available for: Volunteers with 250 service hours with federal agencies that participate in the Interagency Pass Program
      • Contact your local federal recreation site for more information about volunteer opportunities or visit Volunteer.gov.

More Information

These six agencies participate in the Interagency Pass Program:

For more information about the terms used (for example, "non-commercial vehicle" or "pass owner," see Pass Program Definitions on the USGS website.

You can also see a list of all federal recreation sites (PDF), including national parks, where the passes are issued.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020