Dark Angel Medical

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by Wisdom, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Signed up for a class with Dark Angel Medical. Anyone ever taken any training from them? Any feedback?

2. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Are you taking the course that is geared for no healthcare experience or a different one? I talked to one of the guys several years ago, I believe he had been staff for Magpul. Seemed squared away, but I have zero experience training with them.

It looks like you have spent some time with Hugh. Check out the Talon Defense/Ditch Med course at the farm if you haven't already.

Also, if you have healthcare experience and are a LEO, check out:
    http://www.tacticalmedicine.com/main/course-info/
    It will definitely challenge your game. Used to cover about everything you can think of from H2H (you get to fight each other with pads), Clan lab entry, lots of 3 gun and significant stress induction.

Please provide some feedback on Dark Angel when you complete the course.

3. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I wasn't familiar with Tactical Medicine. Thanks for the heads up! I have some medical training, but all ways try to keep my skills "updated". The wife and I were just in an fairly serious wreck. It reminded us of what could happen. I had to use my IFAK while under a huge adrenaline dump. I keep my IFAK strapped to the lower seat track, which turned out to be a good idea. It was the first thing I grabbed. Had it not been strapped to the seat track, it likely would have been displaced and difficult to find. Everything worked out, but it put things into perspective!
    The class is in Dec. I'll do a review when complete.

4. DYSPHORIC JOY

Glad you all made it out OK.

5. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

They make some AWESOME pouches :)

6. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

The boss (aka wife) and I took the DARK training from Dark Angel back in Dec. My wife is in the medical field, Im in left field. Even so, we both had a great time and gained some very good knowledge that I pray we will never use. The instructor was very knowledgeable and made the class fun. They covered the H,A,B,C,D,E very well. I had some previous medical training, but there was still lots to learn. Tourniquets, hemostatic agents, bandages, chest seals, nasal airway, and more. We even spent half of one of the days doing scenarios and triage. Do you know how to burp a sucking chest wound? What about if you have an evisceration? Or a tree limb shoved thru your leg? All this and much more will be answered by DAM.
    If you need medical training, these guys are a great place to start. If you do not have any trauma med training...Please, please, please get it quickly! You may have the coolest tactical ninja IFAK in the world, but if you don't know how to use it (under stress) you wasted your money and you or someone elses life is at stake.
    Vita Vel Nex!

7. DYSPHORIC JOY

What type of healthcare training does your wife have and how did the experience augment that?

Strigidae likes this.
  8. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Shes a PTA and is very knowledgeable on human anatomy. Esp. muscle groups. By the time they become her patient they are on their way to recovery, she only sees the aftermath. The instructor did a great job in explaining the why as much as the how. He covered lots of medical terminology that is better understood by those who work in the medical field. Its a little harder for a simpleton like me to understand. She learned as much as I did when faced with trauma.
    Check out the link below. DAM send out some great stories. I'm not sure this one is great, but it is eye opening. Sometimes "healthcare professionals" aren't as up to speed as we think they should be.

http://darkangelmedical.com/blog/save-66/

9. DYSPHORIC JOY

10. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

That is a scary story. The scariest part is that he still has a medical license!

11. DYSPHORIC JOY

If things are serious enough for a cricothyroidotomy in the ED when a patient walks in then there is a severe anatomical deficit or you have made a few errors leading up to that point in your initial. In the field is different but the last thing that you want to happen with an ambulatory pt is to go down that road.

Strigidae and Wisdom like this.