Dangerous animal defense and avoidance

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Strigidae, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

Try that where I served. We did not like shotgun in the Bush Wars. Why? No range and no pen. Even a simple elephant was hard to kill with 7.62 and we where just trained to get out of there way. I just trust my Elders knowledge and did not try

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

You have previously mentioned your like of the 470NE for everything. Choice is a wonderful thing. I spent many afternoons hunting rabbits with a .375H&H so will never judge anyone using too much gun.

IW17, Stewart and Boker55 like this.
  3. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

View attachment 58534
    I am sure it was some exciting times. I was on the Southern border of the US and was only worried about much smaller creatures.
    My brief time in Africa was much more sedate. I spent much of my time outside of class, sampling the excellent food. I am on the left E6DA27D4-A966-4E31-84EE-F8EABF3E3F08.jpeg

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Are you wearing shoes in the photo?

Delkancott likes this.
  5. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Man, yall could pass as brothers.

6. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Yes, I have some special made Russel Moccasins for actual work, but I did do some short hikes in unencumbered by the devils torture devices referred to as footwear.
    I do have a nickname bestowed upon me from Eastern Africans in reference to my proclivity for ignoring the social constraints of shoes. “Mzungu Masai” In direct translation it means white Masai but in this instance “Monkey Boy”might be a better translation.

Strigidae likes this.
  7. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

B18DDFEB-1B85-40C6-B63A-31DA96340FCD.jpeg
    Yes now that you mention it, but when I was there I seemed to stick out like the proverbial rat turd in the super bowl. I did have the habit of wandering around lots more than my coworkers who seemed convinced they were some sort of James Bond and were worried about security. I recognized my our true identity as an unimportant school Marm and freely checked out the local attractions.

a self defense class. I do believe West Africans can have the darkest complexion.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Zeek likes this.