Danger zone

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Drew RedBear, Feb 10, 2022.

1. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Ok, so stupid question and you'll see why it is. Well maybe just a stupid idea? So I want a bullet paracord bead but I'm not going to pay $13 or more for one so I want to make my own. I have 380 rounds and I know how to remove the powder but I also need to remove the primer. I've watched some videos but none have really answered what I want to know. After I remove the powder can I just drill the primer out safely or should I just tap it out from the inside? To drill, I would have to make an indent in the primer, setting it off I'm sure, but is that safe to do even without the powder in it? I plan to spray the inside with Wd40 or rinse the inside out with just water first to make sure there's no remaining powder left to ignite.

2. Skip808

Skip808 Member

I’ve done this before but I reload…a lot…since I was 15 years old and take a lot of precautions. Honestly without a press I wouldn’t do it. What type of bullets do you want to use? I have some plated 9mm and some 357. Can send some pics tonight to look at and if you like some I’ll send you a few for free and not risk an accidental primer ignition.

just reread the post and I can put the head into an unprimed case for you or just send both separate so you can assemble them. If I assemble I can crimp them so they don’t move

3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I thin you are safer getting someone here to sort it out. Easy task with a press and dies etc but a bit tricky without.

4. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

5. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I'll send ya a pm.

I think you're right lol. Glad I asked before I did it..

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  6. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Drew RedBear
    I think that @Skip808 offer is your safest bet.

That said.. If you get desperate to clear a primer from a casing that has no powder or bullet on it. I have 2-3 times loaded a single round and discharged it in a safe place. I am sure there are some issues with doing that but it’s the safest way IMO for those without tools and experience to “safe” a primer..

7. Skip808

Skip808 Member

Pm sent with some options. Keeping it on the down low so you can show a finished product.

8. Sean

Sean Member

What??? After the projectile and powder are removed just chamber the round and pop it off!!!! Take a nail and a socket to put on the base of the brass and punch out the primer. What's the problem?? Why do you own a 380???

9. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Why not a 380?

Bushman5 and Dagwood like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Member

Okay kinda vague question I guess. Why a 380 over say 9,40,10 or 45? I personally prefer 22 for mouse rigs. Not a dig at all.

11. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

It's just a personal choice. It's small, easy to shoot, easy to conceal and I'm pretty accurate with it, not to mention the price was right. 20220211_114821.jpg 20220211_114642.jpg

12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

13. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Great song too

Bushman5 likes this.