Carothers Performance Knives

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by ManOfSteel, Oct 28, 2016.

1. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Anybody else have some of these to show or talk about? Nathan Carothers is a genius with more than just machining and produces the finest working tools/knives I've found to date. He teamed up with Lorien of Loriendesign Canada and they've made magic. As anyone who knows me knows, I'm obsessed with these now- so much so that I sold all my SURVIVE! knives to fund getting a hold of these. Nathan has all the bases covered as far as sizes go from the EDC (the smallest), the Field Knife (my go-to belt knife), and up to the Light Chopper. He and Peter's came up with the new heat treat protocol on CPM-3V and are calling it Delta3V. This new HT maximizes edge stability enabling them to make thinner edge and blade geometry while keeping a ridiculous edge for a long time and making it tough as nails. Check out his YouTube videos if you haven't seen them yet. He pounds these things through cinder blocks with no real issues. The only thing I would change is the availability (super hard to get) and I'd put a 90* spine on the bigger models.

IMG_1813.JPG IMG_1932.JPG IMG_1784.JPG

This one for size reference. GSO 4.7 on loan from @Grog (thanks again brother) and I think everyone on this forum has handled or owned an ESEE 6 at some point.

IMG_1934.JPG

2. Theo

Theo Member

I have been looking at them over at BF but they seem to be pretty hard to get. How are the sheaths?

3. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I'm not a big fan of their sheaths at all but the knife is worth it even if you have to spend a few bucks on a sheath.

4. Tinbanger

Tinbanger Member

I love my Carothers. Hopefully I'll get some pictures of them working soon .
    [​IMG]

5. daizee

daizee Member

I've only admired from afar. Love Nathan's stuff and Lorien's designs. Hard to go wrong here.

ManOfSteel likes this.
  6. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman Member

Yeah, these are very nice. I hope to add a field knife soon, but the light chopper looks incredible

7. IW17

IW17 Member

8. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

9. IW17

IW17 Member

That was my thought but I wasn't sure . These knives are not my area of expertise.

10. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I appreciate the heads up. They're 240 directly from Nathan and Jo but guys know they're hard to come by so they charge a huge premium on the secondary market sometimes.

11. IW17

IW17 Member

Yeah I've never been one to pay over some things value simply because it's limited or hard to get.

ManOfSteel likes this.
  12. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Same. I got extremely lucky to pay what my 3 were new

13. Grog

Grog Member

I don't love the downturned angle of the blade on the Field Knife with the accompanying jimping. For whatever reason, I do love the offset angle on the EDC. I think, with the shorter blade length, the tighter than flat plane angle gives more torque on the blade with less work. I just don't feel the advantage with the Field Knife. CPK and Survive! have been my main interests lately, I prefer the 4.7 over the Field Knife but think the EDC beats the 2.7 up pretty handily. But, then price factors in, and the 2.7 rises right back up.

I really wanted a Light Chopper but for the price, and after getting smoked on multiple sales, I lost interest.

Hope you're digging the 4.7 @ManOfSteel. I've been trying to strip my Ugly Betty CruForgeV since Friday. Cut the **** out of myself, that was funny. Their Cerakote is no joke.

14. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I haven't used it on much besides a couple boxes but I love it. I hope you're ok man I hate when they bite.

Grog likes this.
  15. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Member

Nathan does do great work. I like these designs. Just as an FYI, he works with Fiddleback Forge on all of their production line knives. Nathan does the blades and handles, Peters does the heat treat and FF does the final fit and finish.

Bushfinger.jpg

dm1995 likes this.
  16. Grog

Grog Member

I guess we get 10 digits for a reason lol!

ManOfSteel likes this.
  17. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I knew he did handles. Had no idea about the blades. Makes sense though. Thanks for posting that

18. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

my travel bag will be so light tonight I'm gonna treat it as a GHB. 9 and plenty of ammo and the LC will be in it. Never know when you gotta chop through a cinder block wall I guess.

19. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

20. Standard78

Standard78 Member

IMG_4236.JPG
    Nathan and Lorien nailed it with the FK!

ManOfSteel likes this.