Camp coffee

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Klutz, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Klutz

Klutz Member

I saw these today and was wondering if anyone has tried them. There a little expensive at this store so, I passed. I currently use Starbucks instant single packs. What does everyone else use when camping or during power outages?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

I can drink instant black coffee for a few days but home brewed is always my first choice. There used to be Folgers instant coffee bags but they were a bit expensive per cup.

MarriedTheMedic and Murphnuge like this.
  3. Murphnuge

Murphnuge Member

I use the Starbucks vias for days I wake up too late in camp. Most days I wake up early enough there's still coffee in the community pot.

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  4. JAD

JAD Member

5. fmrranger

fmrranger Member

^^This, brew it on a burner. We percolate it on the stove top even when the power is on. Makes a better coffee that drip brewing.

6. JackLondon

JackLondon Member

Starbucks packets and if power out at home, I boil water and use a French press. French press coffee is my favorite, but I'm usually too lazy to spend the time preparing it.

7. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I use the same thing camping that I do in the fireplace, on the stove, over a butane heater, kerosene heater, grill, hot plate, camp stove, car engine, whatever. The Bialetti. All you need is water, coffee grinds and a heat source. Any heat source. I use it daily on the stovetop and take it with me in the woods or anywhere else. No filters to buy, nothing. And it makes the coffee very strong, which is the only way I drink coffee. For those of you that understand this: I like my coffee like the Miami Cubans drink it.

[​IMG]

8. JMJ

JMJ Member

Sounds the same way we drink it here, don't stir it cause it'll bend the spoon if it's made right!

French press for me.

9. jeeter

jeeter Member

10. Expat

11. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman Member

Has anyone tried a chemex or do it pour over style? Looks like a slippery slope to becoming a coffee snob.

Dunking coffee grounds into fresh boiling water works for me or black/green tea bags. I need to check if we grind to fine for use in a tea ball, but I could just use my dirty sock in a pinch for a less gritty brew

12. BigJake

BigJake Member

image.jpeg
    I have one of the snow peak fold up pour over deals. Easy to pack.

My coffee of choice is from a local roaster. Ozark Mountain Coffee.

http://www.ozarkmountaincoffee.com

Bushman5 and MarriedTheMedic like this.
  13. JMJ

JMJ Member

Community coffee darkroast signature blend arabica. There medium roast is nice but f you want higher caffeine.

14. jeeter

jeeter Member

15. Ryno

Ryno Member

I picked up some Kopi Luwak from a coffee plantation in Ubud, Indonesia. Luckily it was washed and processed!!

It is very smooth without any acidity, but not worth the high price tag!

When I'm out & about I tend to carry a few of these...

https://growerscup.coffee/en/the-coffeebrewer

It saves waiting for more things to cool down, washing up and also reduces weight as you go along by burning/throwing them after.

Klutz likes this.
  16. Klutz

Klutz Member

I like the idea of the Bialetti just not the size of it. I carry a small pack that has way too much stuff as it is. I think I'll stick with the via packs for now. The Bialetti is still on my wish list for power outages.

17. Expat

They've got every size you can imagine. Tiny, tiny ones up to big ol pots. I think the size in that photo is like 4 sizes bigger than the smallest one so you have a lot to choose from. They are super light also and you can pack stuff inside them.

Just a thought.

18. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

[​IMG]

Involves cheap basket filters, reused bread tie wires, and the same coffe I use at home. Makes almost precisely 2 delicious cups of morning goo...I mean go! ;)

19. Benson X

Benson X Member

I have a badass MSR nesting cookware kit, with the French press. Works amazingly well!
    [​IMG]

Klutz and Bushman5 like this.
  20. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

I am surprised that no one makes "cowboy coffee". We have done it on several camping trips and it is not bad if you do it correctly.
    Premeasure your water and bring to a boil (lets use 3 mugs of water). As soon as the water boils set the pot off the fire and let it sit for 30-40 seconds.
    Add a measured amount of fine grind coffee to the hot water(2 tablespoons per mug) and stir in to the water and let sit for 2 minutes.
    After letting the coffee brew for 2 minutes stir again. Once the coffee has sat for 4 minutes gently sprinkle a bit of cold water into the pot to settle the coffee.
    Gently pour the coffee into the mugs so that you disturb the grounds, and enjoy. Any coffee that is left sitting with the grounds in it will become bitter fairly quickly so if you need a second round of coffee, rinse and repeat.

RedEyedHog likes this.