Best Tourniquet ??

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by Andy the Aussie, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

@DYSPHORIC JOY .... what's your view on the best general use TQ ??? I currently have a CAT with my field/work gear but looking to refresh and add one to my vehicle kit, want the same across the board.

Suggestions, happy to hear all's views ?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Twoody88, Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  2. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

CAT and Wide SOF-T backup.

3. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

I've got CAT's and RAT's.
    RAT TQ is faster on if you keep it pre looped, kind of a bitch to get off though. I also wonder if you can get it as tight because there is no windlass. It's a shock cord strap so you might have to worry about the rubber rotting eventually. I have 2 of those in my personal gear. they were $15 ish

I have 1 CAT TQ in my personal gear and 2 at work in the car. Those are the standard. around $30 at North American Rescue.

They both hurt like a mother effer to have put on you and cranked down.

Twoody88 likes this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Thanks both....... was I wrong or where there "fake/clone" CATs being sold as well ??? I have a reputable place to shop from but have seen them online cheaper.

Strigidae likes this.
  5. C99c

C99c Member

A fake knife is irritating. A fake tourniquet might fail and end a life. I don't "price shop" med gear. Buy from your shop or a recognized legit online medical supply vender.
    No offense meant, @Andy the Kangaroo Fornicator, I mean @Andy the Aussie.

Silly auto correct...

I carry a mix of Soft T wides and CATs of various generations. I also have some SWAT-Ts and some small racheting TQ whose name escapes me at the moment for use on children or very small adults.

hma153 likes this.
  6. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

I realize it's been a month since this question was asked, but I just saw it so I want to add my $0.02 as well.

I was told in my classes from different instructors that the CAT is the go-to for adults, and the RAT is best to have for children and dogs. The CAT is a fantastic TQ, that's why it's used so heavily in the medical field. However, it can only go so small and (not sure how true it is) I've been told it can cause a fracture in a child/dog if cranked too tight.

IW17, Chris Talley and Strigidae like this.
  7. IW17

IW17 Member

That's a good bit of information to have. Thanks!

8. Kevo

Kevo Member

9. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

I agree, and it's entirely situationally dependant. If an investment of $15 on a RAT gives me the option to apply a TQ to my child without fear of extra damage, then I feel like it's a worthy investment.

If a CAT is all I had, then I would apply it. No questions asked. The RAT feels like carrying a couple feet of paracord though, so I don't have a good excuse not to.

Kevo likes this.