Bear gun

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Jeff Randall, May 29, 2018.

1. Hammer

Hammer Member

Some interesting info in that link. I find it's hard to separate fact from hyperbole in a lot of the information out there about "bear guns," and for some reason, it's a topic some people get really worked up and personal about, rather than just factually assessing the threat/most common scenarios and making reasonable decisions about preparedness.

Some good perspectives here as well: https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/forumid/24/threadid/220/scope/posts
    (Hope it's ok to link to the HPG forum)

2. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

In that case a .357 Mag would be better. If we can't stand it's report even with ear protection, imagine what it'll do to the poor sensitive bear? :p

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  3. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Member

357 with hard casts was popular before the internet age.

CWB and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  4. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Down here in the sunshine state 357mag is all you need, now if I was to go to moose country I'd go with 44mag.

Zeek and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  5. Black5

Black5 Member

I can agree. A heavy cast lead bullet from a 357 has hellatious penetration, especially from a 4 or 6 inch barrel. Unfortunately, i dont want to run heavy loads through my m66, and young son has my Ruger in Alaska.

I've got to quit paying utility bills, buying groceries, and getting new tires. I need a new gun..

The Marsh Gorilla, IW17 and STPNWLF like this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I need to get a passport photo and send in my damn PAL and restricted application paperwork.....

7. Hammer

Hammer Member

If you want to see an in-depth, level-headed comparison of .357 & .44 Mag:

8. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

I like Paul Harrell, he always puts out no nonsense firearm videos.

9. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

IMG_1461.JPG IMG_1462.JPG I would not presume to advise anyone on their carry choice when in bear country. Like many things one has to make their own choice. One's ability to effectively deliver rounds on the target with their chosen caliber has to be considered.
    The few times I have hiked in areas known for grizzlies I have carried my Freedom Arms .475 Linbaugh. The cartridge is pictured along with a .45 Colt and a .357. The gun is packable but delivers a round near the force of a 12 ga slug or a standard 45-70...recoil is pretty stout. I can barely keep it in a 5" group at 25 yards. It will defiantly go through any bear. As far as follow up shots. It is not that quick. I would choose it over one of the X frame smiths because of weight. It seems to recoil more the older I get! This choice is not for everyone and I would just as soon carry a heavily loaded .45 Colt if I did not have this.

Mike Smith, Bluelew, Zeek and 5 others like this.
  10. Trailmaster

Trailmaster Member

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

thats a damn good article.

I often see people at the trail heads here....putting their bear spray IN their backpacks. Drives me nuts. Try to educate about carrying it on a holster on the shoulder or waist straps, but most people have the attitude of "oh we'll be fine, were in a group and have bear bells"

my SOP is carry a small can of bear spray for the initial fogging of the area, and have the magnum can as the secondary attack.

Trailmaster and shaneadams90 like this.
  12. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Any new thought on Bear guns folks :)

I am trying to head up to big bear country in the summer and I’m not liking the idea of only packing a 9mm.

I have looked at the 870 option but with a bummed up shoulder I might be down for the count after 1 hot loaded shot..

I have also considered a lever action 45/70 but having never shot one my shoulder might take this out of contention also...

Revolver is almost a must and would carry likely in my HPG chest rig.

A additional consideration is I might have a problem with aggressive moose ( apparently more people die every year from moose attacks then bear attacks) So I don’t know if I need to adjust a caliber accordingly.

I will also be carrying a nice big can of bear spray BUT a firearm is a neccasery backup IMO.

13. shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers Member

I usually just pack my Smith 686+ loaded with hard cast. That should be enough to handle a cantankerous boar or a kitty in New Mexico. Strange enough, we’ve had a rise in maulings recently. Some of which were guides. One of the Bears was dispatched with a 10mm Glock.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/harr...ack-finally-stopped-with-a-glock-10mm-pistol/

I have a .44 also which would fit the bill. It’s mostly for if I venture to the northern part of the states. Still working the kinks out and will roll my own hard cast. I believe that that a 300 grain SWC cooking at 1K FPS is very strong medicine.

If that doesn’t do it, I have a Smith .460 Mag. It’s ridiculous to need one in New Mexico. But, I sure like the idea. The only way to pack it is on a chest rig. The cylinder is the size of a coke can, not small by any means. It’s a very very fast round at 2,400 FPS and 65k psi pressure. The .500 edges past in power. The .460 is faster and can shoot .454 Casull and .45 LC. It’s very easy to hit a gong at 100y with it. But it’s ungodly loud and spews an impressive flame.

14. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

image.jpeg View attachment 50638

I brought a 12 pump because it was easy to get into Canada and we didn't venture far from our vehicle.

image.jpeg

West Copilot

image.jpeg

Wiley Clapp 10mm

image.jpeg

Glock in 10mm

While in Alaska this Summer I asked a few locals who spent time in the bush what they carried. Responses included:

12ga with slugs
    45/70 lever
    44 mag
    10mm
    West Gun shop James West promoted their shaved down Ruger .44 and their famed Copilot breakdown in 45/70.
    Gun shop nearest Denali counter man said Glock 10mm I suspect due to price. And perhaps weight.

I personally would go with the Wiley Clapp 10mm Ruger.
    Great choice Jeff.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Mike Smith and shivermetimbers like this.
  15. shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers Member

16. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

I take my G19 to the bush, but only because I can't find a good way to carry the Ruger SRH yet. We have had a large influx of bears in my area in recent years, to the point that I've almost hit 2 deer this year and 2 black bears as well. My parents think it's fun to throw food in the back and get photos of the bears, and don't understand the harm they are doing.

Either way, I enjoy the .480 Ruger and it's a round that I'm comfortable shooting (even if my ears aren't a big fan). I'm sure most of you know the .480 Ruger round, but here's a photo of a 325gr against a 9mm as well.
    IMG_20191123_105631.jpg

IMG_20191123_105550.jpg

17. shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers Member

@Odinborn Im on the fence on how I want to carry my SRH as well. Ive talked with Tucker Gun leather about what they could do for me. They said they'd do pretty much whatever. Dont know if I want a cross-draw or a chest rig. I kinda like the idea of the cross-draw on a tilt and off my left hip, but then a big honking barrel is sticking out. Decisions... Nice pieces BTW!

18. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

Ran into this Article the other day.
    .357 round testing for game.

https://www.gun-tests.com/issues/24...mmunition-Comparison-5957-1.html#.XeiQX-tOKrU

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Some of my thoughts then on traveling to AK.
    Ship the handgun. Stay in the State....don't leave.
    Take the AK Ferry so you are never in Canada.
    If you want to go to the Provinces or Territories
    Getting permitted for a handgun or about anything semiauto is onerous but possible.

The best bet then is the twelve pump, or a lever or bolt rifle. Any of these is 15 minutes of paperwork and 25$ Canadian.

26 inch LOA, 18 inch barrel are the minimums.
    Here's the RCMP rules and Form.
    My 12 pump was right at 26.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/wam/media/2347/original/d369a605ac3363b569af5ea5dc40c88d.pdf

For Grizzly in the lower 48 there seems to be a few good choices.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Mike Smith, CWB, Ballenxj and 2 others like this.
  19. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

20. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So based on what I presently own and not going out and buying a .44 or 10mm as a dedicated bear handgun
    It's either the Smith 686 6 inch in the 180 grain Grizzly load or Springfield XDM in .45 plus P.

STPNWLF and Mike Smith like this.