Balance of 3 vs 4 (w/ 3D scales)?

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by CoolBreeze135, Jul 26, 2020.

1. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Member

Hey all,
    Hopefully some of you can help me out.

I’m tentatively looking at a new ESEE and I have a question that hasn’t been addressed online as far as I can tell.

I’m looking at either the 3 or the 4. I like the 1/8” thickness of the 3, but I also really like neutrally balances knives. I have handled both the 3 and the 4, but it was long ago and briefly. From what I remember, the classic 3 was a bit handle heavy. Can someone confirm? Also, I’m looking at the new 3D scales. I assume they add a bit of handle weight. Anyone with the new 3D handled 3 and/or 4 that can comment on balance point?

Thanks!

If I recall the standard old 3 to feel a bit off balance, then

2. IW17

IW17 Member

I don't have experience with the 3d scales esee has put out, but I have used the tkc scales (both generations) that are very similar. The short scales with the palm swell were fantastic on the 3. Truly made it a different knife. The added material really locks the knife into your hand. On the 4 however I didn't care for it. It was definitely an improvement over the stock scales, but they were too short, and made the knife feel unbalanced. I'm not sure if it actually was, but it definitely felt like it need a bit more length for the longer blade. I immediately went back to the original tkc scales on the 4. It just made the feel of the knife seem to work better. Now if someone has experience with both and has a different opinion I'd love to hear their thoughts. But for me if I was ordering a 3, I'd go with the scales from Esee, as they seem to be almost the same and they come in micarta. Which is why I sold my knives with the tkc scales, as Dave only offers g10. If I was buying a 4 I'd go through tkc and get them with his original design scales.