Allen Morrison Kydex

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Rick, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Rick

Rick Member

Hello everyone-

I recently purchased an Expat Cleaver and was looking for a kydex sheath. On the ESEE forum I found one or two mentions of Allen Morrison. I checked out his pics of the kydex sheaths, liked what I saw, and sent him a message. I ordered a black kydex sheath that would have the ability to attach to the molle system on my backpack. The cleaver and sheath will be used 90% in the kitchen but I wanted to ability to attach to carry the cleaver on a camping or hiking trip.

Allen was very responsive to my messages and I placed my order. The price was not cheep but fair. I'd rather pay more for a quality product than less for a piece of crap. The sheath arrived less than a week, well packaged, and as ordered. I was pleasantly surprised to see the quality of the sheath. My first thought was this is not Allen's first attempt at making kydex sheaths. The kydex sheath has 10-11 heavy rivets holding it together in which the holes can be used as lashing points if you so desire. The Bladetech system is fastened on the back of the sheath so it can be carried on a molle system. This Bladetech is also a top notch attachment system and not a knockoff attachment system.

The next thing I did was insert the cleaver into the sheath. It snapped into the sheath and the business end of cleaver is completely protected. The loud snap as it was inserted was what I wanted to hear as it is held securely. In order to remove the cleaver from the sheath you have to grasp the sheath with your left hand and remove the cleaver by pulling apart with your right hand. A decent amount of force is needed to pull it out, just what I like to see. Even if the kydex wears in over time the cleaver will still be held in a secure sheath.

Not a criticism, but I wondered if a portion of the kydex (near the jimping of the cleaver's spine) could be peeled away some to give your thumb a place to push away to assist in removing the cleaver? To be honest, the fit is so tight this may not work well and having extra kydex in this area may be cumbersome or just not be worth it. I'd say leave well enough alone.

My only criticism for Allen is that he sheath bears no insignia that the work is his. The quality is high, so Allen should be proud of his work and defiantly come up with a design logo or at least place his initials in an unobtrusive area.

I have only had the sheath for a week but I feel thats long enough for this review. Highly recommended, nice work Allen!

-Rick Watrous

Joshua, Murphnuge, Bushman5 and 3 others like this.
  2. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Excellent review. I buy @Allen Morrison's sheaths in bulk, stamp my initials and mark them up 30%. Has been lucrative thus far just on Hunt and Becker sheaths plus people think I am a Kydex master.

3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

What Rick Watrous said X 100

I got my Allen Morrison Expat Cleaver Sheath LONG before i got the cleaver. , Like Rick said above, the cleaver just snaps in and locks down.

Allen Morrison Kydex is amazing.

Dagwood, Allen Morrison and Zeek like this.
  4. Allen Morrison

Allen Morrison Member

Thank you for the kind words guy's.

YN*Dotte, Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  5. DYSPHORIC JOY

Don't let your head get too big. Fact is, I wouldn't send praise your way if it wasn't justified. You have a magic formula with fit and finish that I have not been able to find with other makers. The small details with blade protection/retention and the innovative thinking keep me buying...not your award winning personality:D

It stinks when you have a bunch of floppy kydex that lacks that fulfilling secure fit. I had a knife slip out of the sheath today strapped to the ATV and thought, well you can tell that is not an @Allen Morrison sheath.

Thanks again for making my other sheaths feel inferior.

Zeek and Allen Morrison like this.
  6. Allen Morrison

Allen Morrison Member

Well that sucks what knife was it?

7. CWB

CWB Member

Not sure I trust anyone that hangs with goat loving Todd

Bushman5 and Allen Morrison like this.
  8. DYSPHORIC JOY

I didn't lose it but it did come out of the sheath. Not sure who made the sheath, Armageddon or something like that.

Allen Morrison likes this.
  9. DYSPHORIC JOY

Credit where credit is due....man makes a good sheath no matter who he hangs out with.

Allen Morrison and CWB like this.
  10. CWB

CWB Member

I guess. He's making me a kydex for my next magua

Bushman5 and Allen Morrison like this.
  11. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I agree 100% @Rick .

Allen doesn't work for us nor do we get any commission or anything like that from Allen but it's in my best interest not to have my cleaver seen in some crappy kydex. I've wanted him to be the guy making cleaver sheaths from the get go.

Thanks for buying our cleaver and thanks for putting it in a quality sheath. And I agree--Allen should have some sort of logo on his work.

PM me your address and I'll send you some of our stickers out.

Murphnuge and Allen Morrison like this.
  12. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

Allen does great work. I bought a knife a while back that had his Kydex sheath. Top notch work

Allen Morrison likes this.