.224 Valkyrie or 6.5 Grendel

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by Paycheck, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

Right on. Keep us posted on your build. I'm thinking about getting an adjustable gas block to tune the gas system when I build mine.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  2. Mountain Tiger

Mountain Tiger Member

Paycheck likes this.
  3. ny700

ny700 Member

A8CC930E-13ED-4C19-9C00-255929CF93C0.jpeg 889BC79A-95BF-4F81-A77A-D3C07A1F8B09.jpeg I went through this same thing a few months back. I think it really comes down to what your intended use is.

For me it really is strictly a target rifle and I went with Valkyrie. The .224 is firing 90 gr projectiles just a bit slower than a .243 It is definitely capable of taking deer at modest distances.

The 224 has effectively no recoil, factory ammo is relatively cheap and it is showing tremendous long range potential. And a big bonus if your a target shooter is very good barrel life.

The 6.5 Grendel is far more tested. Hits harder. Is easier to spot misses as there is going to be more splash and is established in the industry. If your sticking tondistances no further than 800yards I might say stick Grendel. The 6.5 Grendel reallly is to big for an AR15. The bullet is seated so deep your robbing hourspower. Past 800 the Valkyrie really out shines the Grendel.

If you go 224 I would highly suggest you go with an upper from JP or craddock. Early on there were bad readers, twist rate fights and just poor results.
    Make sure your twist is 6.7 or faster. I would stick with a barrel of at least 22”. I went 24” with a craddock upper with a 6.7 twist bartlain barrel.

YN*Dotte, Paycheck, Strigidae and 2 others like this.
  4. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

Appreciate it @ny700. I would prefer to build one myself, but right now, I'm having trouble selling my 6.8 spc components. I'm not in a rush, though, I can hit pretty good groups with my 6.8, and I'm far from being the best shot. But yes, I'm not really planning on shooting past 600 even, so Grendel would probably suit me better.

Where do you usually shoot?

5. ny700

ny700 Member

Place called the battle field in Greenville. About an hour and half north east of Dallas. Goes out to 1100yards

Paycheck and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  6. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

Nice. I actually shoot not far from there, place called B Tactical. Their range only goes out to 400 meters, but it's enough for me for now. Later on, I might look for a longer range, but I still got a lot of practice to do.