2020 Summer Vacation Plans?

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Adventurer, Mar 30, 2020.

1. TerryD

TerryD Member

We go in the fall and winter. Usually November for our anniversary and then a couples trip with some friends in February for all four of our birthdays to get away from the kids for a weekend.

Weather has been all over the place in the past. But its always a good time. Best breakfast is The Log Cabin up past the sky needle. Buckwheat pancakes with margarine and honey is my go to but I had the cornmeal cakes this year and they are pretty darn good too. Get there when they open and sit by one of the fireplaces.

2. TerryD

TerryD Member

The Blonde and I spent a weekend there last fall and it there were quite a few folks out. But not inhibitive I don't think. Would like to go back and do some more exploring. We were meeting a group from Overland Bound out there and we had a great time but we didn't get to roam very much.

3. camoguy

camoguy Member

Its still too hot, but I have a kid in school and we usually go that last week before school starts back.

4. camoguy

camoguy Member

We always go to Cades Cove. If you get there early in the morning there is more wildlife. We also will go tubing. That's really relaxing and not expensive. I am also a Jeep guy and they do have the Cades Cove Jeep Outpost.

Frigin and IW17 like this.
  5. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I’m bringing the little princess to the farm in August to do bushcrafty things and cook a pig.

Datilite, TerryD and camoguy like this.
  6. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Well not sure how the Canadian boarder situation will go or what Canadian park campgrounds will do so decided to make an alternate plan. Got some reservations made for Yellowstone and will hit the Tetons as well. Planning on late August and am hoping things go well with park openings and covid...

7. Black5

Black5 Member

Well, looks like this will be the first year in a while we haven't went to the Smoky Mountains.
    Just too much going on. I envy you guys that are able to go.

IW17 likes this.
  8. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

We have been doing some preliminary planning, seeing if things would hold together to travel. Looks like a go.

Visiting Son and family in WI. Next stop two nights Menominee, MI, Three nights Manistique, MI on Lake Michigan, then two weeks in northern MI, Leelanau Peninsula and moochdocking in friends driveway, Old Mission Peninsula.
    Backtrack the UP and cross the Great Plains. Two weeks in and around Libby, MT, then south through ID, including Farragut State Park, Sandpoint, on the McCall, Boise for a few days, Stanley and eastern ID, maybe a stop in the Tetons.
    Two months out. No problem distancing in the RV. Wife has her own bed :)
    This will be our first trip west with the Jeep, and looking forward to some exploring.

9. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

You should make sure to stop by Kitch-iti-kipi while in Manistique. It is pretty cool and worth the stop. Love the pictured rocks area. Make sure to post up pictures!

Dennis Adams likes this.
  10. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

Been there a couple of times. Across the Spring and walks in the area. Even bought a windbreaker on sale at the gift shop.
    Pictured Rocks are just amazing. We were supposed to be there Memorial Day Week as this would have been our fourth year there but the Parks were closed.
    There is a City Park in Menominee, MI on the River where we are going to spend a couple days. Part of the Park is closed due to flooding high Lake levels. We then have reservations at Lakeshore Campground in Manistique for three days.
    At least we can eat pasties and Jacks Supermarket pot pies.
    After that Leelanau Peninsula for a week. Two different private parks. We lived in Traverse City for 12 years.

Adventurer likes this.