i held a gen 5 glock 17 earlier today.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JV3, Nov 10, 2017.

1. .357 mag

.357 mag Member

I don’t understand the double/single thing. I’m not a fan (for carry) of manual safety’s and price puts me out of the Sig line.

Zeek likes this.
  2. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Da/sa definitely takes getting used to, but with training it doesn't effect groups or speed, and decocking becomes natural when you are either reholstering or moving, I don't even think about it anymore. I dont like manual safeties either so the sig system (no manual safety, da/sa with a deckocker) works for me. The point about price is true, I have never bought a brand new sig, I have always found deals on used guns, I paid $420 shipped for the p220 on its way to me. There is also the sp2022, a polymer framed version of the sig classic line that can be had for the same price as a glock 19.

3. .357 mag

.357 mag Member

I completely understand. I shoot a 1911 in USPSA so I get the training.

4. JV3

JV3 Member

i have a century arms c39v2 ak-47 and a kel tec sub2000 that takes glock 17 mags coming (nics was backed up so i'd have to wait to pick it up tomorrow)...still no glock 17 though...i gotta ease into feeling dirty, hehe.

i did fondle one again yesterday and i'm still liking it.

Zeek likes this.
  5. JV3

JV3 Member

i picked it up a few days ago, a kel-tec sub2000 9 mm (uses glock 17 mags)....almost there! on monday i'm picking up a gen 5 glock 17 to complete my peasant guns collection, hehe.

[​IMG]

6. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

You held a gen 5 glock 17, did you wash your hands with disinfectant afterwards?
    o_O

JV3 likes this.
  7. IW17

IW17 Member

^Boo!

STPNWLF likes this.
  8. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Haha, sorry I'm a 1911 guy:D just can't get a feel for Lego block pistol:confused:

JV3 likes this.
  9. JV3

JV3 Member

haha! i got drunk with cheap booze and pretended it never happened.

me too - springfield armory trp is my favorite pistol...9+ yrs and thousands of my own reloads - zero malfunctions of any kind. the surefire x400 is temporarily mounted on that xd...i have a railed trp coming next month for it :D

[​IMG]

STPNWLF likes this.
  10. cwaring13

cwaring13 Member

I bought a Gen4 after hearing all the hoopla about Glocks, it put brass on my head, down my shirt and in my face. 1911s never did that. If I want to carry something polymer it's my S&W MP9 2.0. I never shot the 1st Gen M&P but when they fixed the trigger I wanted to try it...is good.

JV3 likes this.
  11. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Member

I am a Glock hater. I've had the 34 and shot a bunch of other glocks, all worked fine and shot unimpressive groups. Having gone through SIGs, Steyrs, Springfield, 1911s, S&W, HK, CZ, and Walther pistols I have come to the conclusion that Glocks are nothing special. I don't like the grip angle, square slide, trigger (including aftermarket), and stock barrel accuracy. The pistols themselves are more than acceptable in a pinch, but if I have choice it won't be a glock.

STPNWLF and JV3 like this.
  12. .357 mag

.357 mag Member

I️ agree with this. I️ mean all of it. With that said I️ carry a G43. It works all the time. Body accurate ( for me)at 25 yards off the draw. Easy to carry. Easy to control. Not my favorite. But it works. Kinda like my ESEE. Not my favorite blade but the one that will get the job done.

JV3 likes this.
  13. Yardman

Yardman Member

I struggle with my 43 shooting left. I’m right handed and even braced on a bag. I can hit a bad guy in the head at 25 feet but I have to aim at his ear. Is it me.

JV3 likes this.
  14. Rich275

Rich275 Member

"I struggle with my 43 shooting left. I’m right handed and even braced on a bag. I can hit a bad guy in the head at 25 feet but I have to aim at his ear. Is it me."
    Put more finger on the trigger and if it continues to shoot left for you, bump the sights over. Very common problem for right handed Glock shooters.

JV3 and Zeek like this.
  15. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Member

I would check the sight alignment. It needs to be in the most solid rest you can get and shoot on paper. You mentioned sandbags already, but does it shoot left for other people?

Rich275 has good advice with the trigger finger. I would add that it needs to be a consistent press and retain to the rear for each shot. My Uncle is a cop and he makes the guys who can't shoot Glocks well practice with a revolver in double action. The long press simulates the Glock trigger press fairly well. People who transition from target triggers often times like to feather the trigger and it doesn't work well on the long Glock trigger pull length. The Glock is technically double action because the striker is only partially cocked. Pulling the trigger pulls the striker back to the fully cocked position before being released. So yeah, it is like a double action revolver trigger.

JV3 likes this.
  16. Yardman

Yardman Member

I admit most of it is me but others also find it pulling left. All right handed I add. Probably need more practice which is tough to find the time for.

Thanks for the advice.

admit

17. JV3

JV3 Member

it's official! i used about 400 rounds since tuesday night and i gotta say i like it alot.

[​IMG]

did a little head to head comparison with the vp9 earlier today (it has a month head start and 500'sh rounds through it already so i'm more familiar with it) but i shot the g17 equally or better...even my buddy who's a big hk fan shot the g17 better - he was pissed :D

not sure what the deal is with the vp9 reviewers saying it has a great trigger and all that...with my hands the g17 feels a lot closer to my 1911 both in trigger feel and grouping and the 1911 is almost 3x as much...i guess like in everything else, it pays to have an open mind and try it for yourself to see what works and what doesn't. i'm glad i'm not a gun snob otherwise i would've missed out on a great gun :)

[​IMG]

Delkancott and Zeek like this.
  18. JV3

JV3 Member

who's going to argue against this combo? tools that get the job done with zero bling :)

[​IMG]

Delkancott and Zeek like this.
  19. Zeek

Zeek Member

You're good now. Just need to buy more mags and ammo.

20. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Member

It depends on how you are doing a trigger press. The VP9 is a double stage trigger with a short reset. (Slack-press.) Pulling it as a continuous single stage the second stage makes a noticeable but not too terrible bump. The PPQ on the other hand pulls well as either, but the double stage is closer to the first stage in pull weight. I prefer a single stage press for speed shooting and point shooting. (I do on sights on trigger, but don't like pulling the slack out to avoid NDs. )
    I don't know why it would feel like a 1911 trigger. The glock is on a rotating pivot and has a long pull length, while the 1911 is an inline trigger that has a short pull length.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017