Getting in shape for the farm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtngoat, May 18, 2017.

1. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

ok so I'm trying to get into shape for the farm, so I can do another field survival class. The push up and sit up pet I think I have but the run is what's getting me.

So doc put me in a strict diet and work out plan in January and I've lost over 30 lbs and I have done several half marathons and countless 5k and 8k races in the past. I have never done them for speed though always finish never quit.

So we have started training for another 8k and the past 3 runs I've done 13 minute miles which is pretty good for me since I'm weighing it at just under 250, but to do the 1.5 mile in 15 min i need to shave it down to a sustainable 10 min mile.

Any thoughts on how to increase speed and longevity for runs???????

Mountainmistwanderer and Zeek like this.
  2. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

3. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

But congratulations on your efforts and achievements.

Kaw-liga and mtngoat like this.
  4. Zeek

Zeek Member

For speed... Fartleks!!! You get faster by running faster, even if it's for very short durations.

PS. You're down 30lbs... that's fantastic. Congrats!!! Maybe even an inspiration. Yeah, just let me finish this beer first.:cool:

5. Boker55

Boker55 Member

60/120s is how I always increased my mile times. Sprint as hard as you can for 60 seconds, jog for 120 seconds. Repeat.

6. Zeek

Zeek Member

For longevity...
    tmp_20984-3385151865_fcd0b89a58_z1326624228.jpg

Bushman5, Dagwood, Kaw-liga and 5 others like this.
  7. Zeek

Zeek Member

Yep

Dagwood, Kaw-liga and mtngoat like this.
  8. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

I ran 1K and 3K in school competitively, and I was never more athletic than other kids. In fact, I was one of the worst sprinters in my class. My only advantage in long distance running was my splits. I was one of the shortest kids with the longest stride. Obviously, good cardio and endurance are important, but a longer stride lets you utilize your pace more efficiently. Just my 2 cents.

Kaw-liga and mtngoat like this.
  9. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Id love to have you on my team at the farm. Keep me posted on when you are going. Ive got a buddy I'm obligated to go with next year.

Kaw-liga, mtngoat and Zeek like this.
  10. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

you doing the 3 or 5 day?

Kaw-liga likes this.
  11. Strigidae

Depends on timing for my buddy. Id like to go 5 days but ill have to see what he can make.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  12. Strigidae

Maybe in October we can run the field survival running course and see how you do?

13. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Sounds like a plan

Kaw-liga and Strigidae like this.
  14. Nordac

Nordac Member

Breath control.
    Trust me on this
    In for 3 steps and out for 2 Steps
    When you need a little more juice like going up a hill switch to in for 2 out for 1 and when you go HAM in for 1 out for 1.
    This allows you too better regulate your breath and allows you to more reliably deal with blood O2 levels. And makes it as easy as possible to monitor speed levels and endurance. And it helps reduce stress on your body snice inhales have a relaxed core that it switches which foot the inhale happens on

15. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    All great tips above, BUT let me say....if you are weighing in around 250, and running 1.5 in 15 minutes
    YOU ARE DOING GREAT!
    Keep up the good work.
    Keep running, follow the tips above that work for you, and press on in your mind. Your body will follow.

Nordac, mtngoat, Strigidae and 2 others like this.
  16. Chuy

Chuy Member

Please don't take this the wrong way, but someone once told me "you cant outrun your mouth" its probably the best motivational quote I ever heard. I would take a serious look at how you can improve your diet. It definitely seems like you are putting the work in. Those PT standards listed seem to be loosely based off the USAF fitness test for ages 50-59.

Here is a link to a USAF proven run plan to increase your 1.5 mile time for all ages and experience levels.

1.5 Mile Run

I have helped a lot of people shave minutes off their run time by focusing them on the philosophy of running. I mostly was inspired by El Caballo Blanco's work, the basics are:

Don't focus on speed or time, focus on technique breathing and the rest will follow naturally.

From what Im reading not knowing your height only your weight and never seeing you run I would focus on a shorter stride and higher cadence to increase speed. If you increase your stride you will begin heal striking which will cause pain and damage to your knees, shins, and heal. You need to utilize your natural body mechanics and "spring" effect to lessen impact. Try and mix in some cycling and swimming if you are feeling any pain. Shins, knees, and heals can take years to heal.

A quick test you can perform is take off your shoes and run in place, wherever your foot is striking the ground is about where it should be striking when running.

Have the mental thought of running efficiently, running at your best is doing a lot of little things correctly.

I hope this helps friend, best of luck, I know you can do it because you have the mental strength to train and I know you will never give up if you have completed a marathon.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need some resources.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Nordac, mtngoat, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  17. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

El Caballo Blanco? Micah True? Really unique dude. I don't know many people that know about him.

@mtngoat , I agree with pretty much everything above (I don't know anything about the breathing though). To run faster, you have to run faster. Do sprints. It doesn't really matter the program, you just have to do them. You can do something as simple as sprint 50 yards, walk back, sprint the 50 again, whatever gets you sprinting for longer and longer times.

Also, hill work. Do as much hill work as you can. It sucks but it is a very effective and efficient technique. On off days from running, I'd suggest doing some rucking with weight. But DON'T RUN with weight on you. Hard on the knees and not much extra benefit.

Maybe try a GORUCK Light? It'll only be about 6 hours or so but it will be challenging.

Chuy, Kaw-liga, mtngoat and 1 other person like this.
  18. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    image.png

Delkancott, Zeek and mtngoat like this.
  19. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Zeek likes this.
  20. Strigidae

Looks like someone got thrown under the bus. Good work on whomever that was!

mtngoat and Zeek like this.