American Made Series: Red Wing Boots

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Been a while since I posted something in this series. So, Red Wing boots--who's got them? I love mine.

Founded in 1905 and still kicking out fantastic products right here in the U.S. of America.

I've got these and they are awesome:

6febc99c03cfa228f5e60651fb980323--shoes-for-work-red-wing-iron-ranger.jpg

So, who likes them some Minnesota-flavored 'Merica?

Zeek, Theodore and mwramos76 like this.
  2. olderguy

olderguy Member

Loved mine when I was still a full time worker. They replaced the soles and laces and oiled them as part of their warranty several years ago. Still have them and wear them when needed.

Zeek and Theodore like this.
  3. Theodore

Theodore Member

I have only owned one pair of redwings. They were required by the job I had. That one pair lasted the entire time I worked there and I can not remember anything negative about them.

Dagwood and Zeek like this.
  4. Marty W

Marty W Member

Here are mine. My work boots when I'm on the floor. They are freaking indestructible. We wear the ones with the snake soul.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Zeek likes this.
  5. IW17

IW17 Member

Unfortunately I've never owned a pair of red wings that didn't hurt my feet. Definitely well made boots, just don't work for me. I'm a huge fan of Thorogood boots. Another USA made boot company.

Theodore and Zeek like this.
  6. jlowrance

jlowrance Member

I Have a pair of Iron Rangers in Amber harness going on two years now. Definitely awesome boots.

Zeek likes this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Way back when I use to wear Red Wings at work, we actually sold them in the shop. I still have an old pair away somewhere I should dig out !

Zeek likes this.
  8. ChristopherRC

ChristopherRC Member

14918759165301960357095.jpg
    I have a pair of Irish setters. Amazing boots probably best pair of work boots I've owned. Definitely best boot for the money. Ill be wearing red wings till the day I die or till I can justify a pair of custom westco's.

Theodore and Zeek like this.
  9. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I have a pair of custom made wesco boots. I wear the red wings 5 times more often. The wescos will last forever but they are the heaviest boot ive ever owned. They are also hot because they have so much thick leather on them. They were $700 and I dont think they were worth it.

Marty W, ChristopherRC and Theodore like this.
  10. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

I've had Red Wing going on 20 years. Great boots. My newest pair is the first non-steel toe boot I've bought from them. Seems good, the steel on the others kept tearing through the leather from constant kneeling over their lifespan. I'm hoping the lack of a protective toe will get me a solid two years at minimum out of the newest ones.

One of the things I thought was odd was when I was buying the new pair, I inquired about the heritage series because they look good, but the lady told me they were just dress boots, not work boots. Seems silly.

11. ChristopherRC

ChristopherRC Member

Well I'm glad you mentioned that. I guess I always wanted a pair because all the guys I used to work with had them or talked about them. I'm good with red wings. I really have never owned a more comfortable boot. I 've owned a couple pairs of danners, I don't like the fit or quality even compared to Georgia boot.

Dagwood likes this.
  12. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Back in the day I picked up a pair of surplus "jungle" boots. Everybody said how great they were, but I couldn't walk/hike even a mile without my feet hurting a lot. I put some thought into it and figured out it was the lack of arch support, so I glued an arch support in and they were then the most comfortable pair of boots I had. Same sort of thing with Timberlands. The arch was just wrong for my feet.

Dagwood and Theodore like this.
  13. Theodore

Theodore Member

In the Infantry they marched us through the Georgia mud over and over. Wear a pair. Dry and polish the other pair. Switch repeat. My jungle boots were the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. My jump boots with the full leather uppers were a close second. Same treatment. I am good on "wearing in" a new pair;)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Zeek and Dagwood like this.
  14. IW17

IW17 Member

I guess that's just the way it goes. Everyone is different, and there really isn't a one size fits all. I did try everything from arch support to Dr Scholls, and it didn't help. But I found boots I like so it is what it is. Just like knives. I've sold many great knives that people rave about, simply because the handle didn't work for me. Doesn't mean they were bad, or the quality wasn't there. Just didn't work for me.

Marty W and AddictedToSteel like this.
  15. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

I used to walk into a shoe store and buy a pair of Rockports, 10-1/2 wide. No need to try them on. They were always comfortable and fit just right. The Timberlands always hurt just trying them out in the store. Never bought any.

16. Johnny Syndergaard

Johnny Syndergaard Member

I never bought a pair of Red Wing boots until I started working for the railroad. These are the best boots that I have ever worn and they hold up to heavy use.

Zeek and ChristopherRC like this.
  17. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

Wore a pair of Red Wing slip on boots for 15 years doing plumbing service. (5 pair actually) Red Wings and Danners are the only work boot that I've found that holds up to daily laboring for any significant amount of time.

Theodore, Zeek and ChristopherRC like this.
  18. ASH

ASH Member

The only pair of Red Wings that I have had were super comfortable, the only problem was that they fell apart in no time. It was a made in China model, I didn't have a lot of choice at the time because this was the only store where I could use my shoe allowance for work. The store let me exchange them, but would not let me get another pair of the same boots because they were having too many problems with them. The pair I had split across the sole. I was steam cleaning a piece of equipment and noticed my feet getting wet, but my boots were dry. The water was coming through the bottom. I was disappointed because those boots felt so good.

A couple years ago I was boot shopping and found a pair of American made Double H boots that I liked. This time I bought them with my own money. I wore a hole in the toe of one of them in less than a month from kneeling on concrete. That was a disappointment too.

One of my biggest problems finding good boots that I like, is that I prefer a zip up boot. I also prefer a smooth leather interior. My Mark Nason boots have spoiled me on those two features.