daughters and firearms?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Zeek, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Zeek

Zeek Member

So... I have a good thing going with my boy. He was the stereotypical boy, loved nerf guns, cap guns, paint ball, and then real firearms. Hell, I got him a .270 for his 12th birthday... he now has more testosterone than me. We continue to make great memories shooting on the weekends together with his uncle.

I also have a girl, now 13. Still can't get her to even shoot a 22. I have several good options for her to get started, 10/22, 22 bolt guns, and 22 hand guns. She won't touch them. My wife is in favor of it. She shoots occasionally and has her own handgun.

I'm thinking sometime this summer is my last chance. Sh!t, I am lucky as hell... can just have her shoot off the back deck. She is no girly girly. Hates pink, is on a hard core travel soccer team and they are super aggressive.

I'm not looking for her to "love" firearms, but it concerns me that she seems 'afraid' and at her age has never pulled a trigger.

You guys have any experiences or words of wisdom?

P.S. She likes knives. Got her an Izula for her birthday and a SAK Alox for Valentine's Day.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Datilite, C99c and Theodore like this.
  2. Theodore

Theodore Member

Everyone does there own thing with there kids. Personally, I did not give them a choice with the safety stuff. This is the safety. On, off, loaded, unloaded. On, off, unloaded, now you do it. And the talks about what to do if found, with friends, yada yada. After that They pursue what they want. My oldest boys hunt (they go out during bird season more than me!)and are getting into bows now, (dad rubbing off on them,) the girls arent old enough to hunt yet but have no interest.

Datilite and Zeek like this.
  3. Treehorn

Treehorn Member

I'm about to take my 14 year old daughter to the range for the first time and picked up a Ruger 10/22 just for that purpose. Last year she had zero interest, not scared but just not into it. Now all of a sudden she asked me to take her a bunch of times in the last month. Could be the same with your girl, timing might just not be there right now and then she'll suddenly have the urge to try it out. Either way, I wouldn't bother her to much about it and enjoy shooting with your son, can't wait till my son is old enough!

Datilite, Theodore and Zeek like this.
  4. C99c

C99c Member

I'd sit her down and explain to her that they are simply tools, like her knives, the cars in the drive and the screwdrivers in your tool box.
    They all have different uses and as a member of the household she needs to know how they function and how to operate them even if she never plans to use them. Stress that it's about safety and don't make a huge deal out of her dislike for them.

That logic has worked with a couple of friends who had wives/kids/step kids who weren't initially interested in shooting or had issues with guns.

Datilite and Zeek like this.
  5. Zeek

Zeek Member

Yeah... don't want to push her too much. Just can't help but think once she gets a taste... she'll love it too.:)

Datilite and Theodore like this.
  6. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

I tell everyone that you need to learn how to do xxxxxx, be it drive a standard transmission, use a tool , learn a specific skill or in this instance handle and shoot a firearm safely. Once they know how, if they choose not to that is fine, they have the knowledge to make an informed decision on the subject matter. After that it is up to them to decide if they wish to participate.

Datilite, C99c and Zeek like this.
  7. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I understand completely but wouldn't push her. I have a 13yo daughter myself and one thing I know is if I push her to do anything she simply digs in and refuses. Stubborn like her mother.

My girl has been to the range with me a few times in past years but hasn't expressed any interest for at least the past couple even though I always ask. She isn't afraid - just not interested.

Zeek and Theodore like this.
  8. Slade

Slade Member

Have you asked her why she doesn't want to try it? Is she competitive? Has she been present while you and your son are only shooting the .22? What do you guys shoot at? Does she realize it can be a game as far as target practice goes. You have any spinners/plates? Something that is not a target accuracy competition might be more her style.

It could certainly be that she doesn't have a clear understanding of the different calibers and their uses or is put off by the sound and power of the higher power stuff. Maybe the sounds has been an annoyance to her while she is talking on her phone with friends if you shoot at home and now she doesn't want to be a part of the thing that annoys her. Just troubleshooting.

Zeek likes this.
  9. Zeek

Zeek Member

I've asked her why she doesn't want me to teach her to shoot. She just responds with an abrupt, "cuz I don't want to".:rolleyes: She's certainly been around enough when we're shooting, 22s and everything else. We shoot some fun stuff I guess, my boy and I are quite the recyclers. Every empty milk carton, and bottle gets refilled with water and food coloring. I also have some steel plates. I think my next attempt will be when my boy isn't around...

Theodore likes this.
  10. IW17

IW17 Member

Man I opened this thinking it would be a story of you meeting your daughters boyfriend for the first time.

Zeek likes this.
  11. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

My daughter just turned 5. Has her own .22 that she shoots regularly. She's shot a .22 pistol and my M&P with me holding onto it.

We took her to a Cowboy Mounted Shooting competition this weekend and now she wants to shoot off her horse. So I'm in the market for a .45LC single action lol.

I didn't do anything, she was just kind of drawn to firearms at a super young age. Like, 3 years old and begging me to let her help clean them. She still demands that I let her help clean them now.

Willow and Zeek like this.
  12. Willow

Willow Member

Take advantage of her competitive nature and challenge her to out shoot you in a competition. If she wins then she gets something that she really wants.

Zeek likes this.
  13. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I think this would be a good way to approach it..

Maybe another none traditional method might be subliminal messaging :) I would see about finding good pictures of you guys shooting or hunting and place them around were she might see. Maybe if she sees it enough times she might start to find it more interesting :)

Having only girls myself I foresee more then 1 challenge in the future with guns....

Zeek likes this.
  14. Ausher

Ausher Member

I bought a .22 Henry lever action for my daughter to shoot. She's 12. She didn't like shooting an AR 15. Said it kicks too hard. Her twin sister really isn't into shooting guns.
    IMG_20170226_173032391_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170226_173104748.jpg

Theodore and Zeek like this.
  15. Zeek

Zeek Member

Very nice...

Theodore likes this.