Kabar TDI

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stone, Feb 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Theodore

Theodore Member

Sure. I find that you probably have no idea what the Maine population for the most part wears during the winter months. Or perhaps you do and it did not fit into the choice you made. Regardless I find the reference to what people are wearing on one particular day at the grocery store as a reference to how most of Maine dresses in the winter funny. The grocery store fashon report. Take it how you will. I found the acclimation comment you made came off a little rude seing how you are speaking to a born and raised Mainer. But hey I rolled right past it. If you need to pull out the we card, and start insinuating people are trolls because someone loled, perhaps you need a nap.

2. Stone

Stone Member

Perhaps you need to find a little respect.

I've lived here for six winters, with no car.
    I've walked and biked, and dealt with it.
    I've seen what people wear,
    and worn what I needed.

Don't cop an attitude with me.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  3. Theodore

Theodore Member

Lol. Bark at someone else's ankles flatlander.

4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Gentlemen, opinions are like ...well you both know. You have both expressed yours so it's best left at that now thank you.

5. Stone

Stone Member

Fully agreed. Moving on ...

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  6. jlowrance

jlowrance Member

Is it awkward to draw this knife from the sheath?

7. Zeek

Zeek Member

8. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

You wanna carry a cheap but effective weapon? Just break off a car antenna. You get good with that and you'll beat anyone in a knife fight.

BTW--that's a good thing to keep in the back of your head when you're in Third World countries. If two unsavory dudes intent on robbing a rich American are following you down the street at night on the way to the grocery store, Carulla, in Bogota, Colombia and the streets are lined with cars that all have antennas protruding from them, and you break one off of an old VW Polo, you can whip the snotbubbles out of those two guys in the alley behind the Hotel Sofitel. Or so I've heard....

C99c, Stone, Strigidae and 1 other person like this.
  9. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Snotbubbles... HA HA HA!!

Zeek and Theodore like this.
  10. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I once woke hungover in an ally clutching a bloody rear wiper arm from a Ford Laser.... damn that was a good night...what I remember...

C99c, Zeek, Strigidae and 1 other person like this.
  11. Expat

I woke up once on the beach on Tortola, BVI. A guy was peeing on me.

Theodore likes this.
  12. james gormley

james gormley Member

I've used the same technique here in NY. Antennas off of old faux woodpanel country squire stationwagons work just as well

Stone and Theodore like this.
  13. Theodore

Theodore Member

My time traveling days are over but they sure were fun.

14. Expat

Is that the station wagon where the 3rd seat faces the rear? We had one of those as a kid. The whole way to Myrtle Beach, I'd have to stare at the driver behind me. Awkward.

Strigidae likes this.
  15. Stone

Stone Member

This is a good, relevant question IMO, because it deals with the main -- really the only -- issue I have with the knife, which is actually an issue with the stock sheath. Don't get me wrong, as stock sheaths go, this is a good one. But it has two weaknesses, at least for me. One, it mounts vertically only; there's no option for horizontal carry, which I want. The NSR that Zeek linked above deals with that, I think.

But the sheath I want (soon as I've got an extra $40) is this one. (Note the site has an option for buying a new knife with the new sheath, avoiding the stock sheath entirely.) Note: second generation; the first had a few issues that they've resolved (though it was still reportedly better than the stock sheath). It allows multiple mounting positions -- including horizontal (and in between vert and horizontal) just by adjusting the position of the belt loops. From my perspective, a horizontally-mounted (or nearly so) strong hand** crossdraw at about 10 or 11 o'clock would be very accessible and faster. (** The knife's designer -- John Brenner -- recommends wearing this knife for use with the weak hand; it was designed primarily as a last ditch tool for LEO's who've had their handgun grabbed by an assailant, so while they attempt to control the gun with their strong side hand, the weak side hand grabs the knife to do what needs doing. <said in best Jeff Quinn voice>

It was also purposefully designed to feel more like drawing and handling a revolver or pistol -- hence that crook in the knife rather than being straight. For me, that makes the knife not only easy to draw but easy for punching and slashing; the angle of my fist when holding it facilitates it.

The other problem with the stock sheath that this new one fixes (and I think that NSR does also, but not sure) is that it -- the new sheath -- allows one's index finger to fit into that deep finger groove fully even before drawing it. With the stock sheath, one only gets a partial fit into that finger groove. Once it's drawn, then -- for me the most awkward part -- is that you have to readjust your grip after draw so that your finger fits fully into the groove. That's not something you'd want to do during an emergency situation.

Since I'm not planning to use the stock sheath after I replace it, I've been carving on it some to try to make it more usuable -- basically just messing around with it, not seriously trying to make it 100% functional.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    jlowrance likes this.
  16. james gormley

james gormley Member

The one and only.

17. Theodore

Theodore Member

My grandparents had one and the reaward seat was a fold up. It was recessed. Like the manufacturers wanted to see how close to death you would make the kids sit before you went ok, hold the f on.

18. james gormley

james gormley Member

If you already have a pistol just shoot the MFer. A murder charge is a murder charge regardless of weapon.
    If you are that close to someone in a sd situation, he has just a good of a chance to kick your ass as you do hism

19. james gormley

james gormley Member

I think they all folded down for trunk space

Theodore likes this.
  20. Stone

Stone Member

Sure, but this is a backup weapon, not a primary. Again, it was designed for LEO's as a back up in case their handgun was compromised. I know, I know, don't let yourself get into that position -- but **** happens.

Having said that, I don't necessarily see this knife as stuck in that role.

But explaining that is another post.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017