Shotguns

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stone, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Stone

Stone Member

I propose that we use this thread to discuss them.

Everything about them.

* Types: pumps, semi-autos, SxS, O/U ...
    * Gauges: 10, 12, 16, 20, 28, .410 bore
    * Barrel length: 30"+ to ... sawed off
    * Makers: Benelli, Beretta, Browning, Holland & Holland, Mossberg, Remington, Stoeger ...
    * Stocks: wood, synthetic, adjustable, pistol ...
    * Accessories: slings, rails, lasers, lights ...
    * Sights: bead, ghost rings, scopes
    * Utility: hunting, SD/HD, general
    * Shot: bird, buck & slugs
    * Best ammo for SD v hunting (buck is best)
    * Patterning & training
    * Reviews: written & video
    * Movies & music ("I said, shotgun! Shoot 'em fore they run, now.")

What have you owned/shot?
    What do you own now?
    What are your favs?
    What do you want next?
    Do you pattern your shotguns?
    How much training have you had/do you want?

Me?
    Started at 12'ish with single shot 20.
    Migrated to Remington Wingmaster 870 in 16.
    Sold both in my late 20's (stupidly).

In my 50's, owned a Remington 870P in 12.
    Patterned nicely, but it was
    TMG (too much gun ... for me)

Next: Stoeger Coach Gun in 20.
    Might be a regular, might be a supreme.
    Haven't decided yet. But 20 for sure.
    I've had zero formal training, but wish to take a SD class.

What say you?

<My desktop image>

Stoeger CG Supreme.png

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Zeitgeist and mil spec like this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I like to ride shotgun if i cannot drive.

Stone and Zeek like this.
  3. Marty W

Marty W Member

I've been on the market for a semi auto for a while. Every time I get the funds, I buy a pistol or a knife. I'm focused now. I've got 870s, one tricked out for home defense. I had a Benelli SBE II, but sold it to a co worker. I have since been torn between the Browning Maxus and the Beretta A400. My buddy has both so I got to try them out. The Beretta is very nice and had the KO system on it, but I have to say the Maxus handled better to me. It swings quicker, feels lighter, and the recoil is almost non existent. The Beretta seems heavier and bulkier to me. Still shot great and very nice. The new A5s seem to have more recoil, similar to the Benelli shotguns. That makes sense because they are both inertia guns. In a nutshell, I'm hoping to buy a Maxus in the near future. There are a lot of great choices these days. Another I may look at is the SBE III. They made some good changes, so I may look at them again too. I'm still hot for a Maxus though.

Stone likes this.
  4. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Love me some Maxus. It was my first gun, fell on hard times and sold it at a huge loss, and when I got back on my feet I bought another one. This one won't be leaving anytime soon.

Zeitgeist, Marty W and Stone like this.
  5. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Beauty and the beast.

IMG_2606.JPG

6. Stone

Stone Member

Just logging on for a minute for the first time today ... before work. Great start. Especially appreciating the pics. (More, more!) -- I can tell I'm going to learn a lot here.

Oh, and I've added three more items to the list of things to discuss:

* Stocks: wood, synthetic, adjustable, pistol ...
    * Training
    * Reviews: written and videos

Zeitgeist and Marty W like this.
  7. Marty W

Marty W Member

On my home defense 870, I have the Knox adjustable stock. I like it but would probably put the Magpul on if I did it again. For my semi auto, synthetic is of course much more durable, and some have some grippy finishes to them, but I want a nice wood version next time. If I'm just hunting and beating it around, synthetic all the way. I'm wanting a wood Maxus though. Browning's woods are unrivaled IMO. I actually plan to buy the Golden Clays Maple when I buy mine.

8. Rich275

Rich275 Member

Benelli Super 90 M3. Not my favorite gun, but it worked well when I needed it!
    [​IMG][/URL]

9. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

image.jpg My favourite skeet, hunting and home security shotguns. image.jpg These were custom made for me and my orangutang like measurement in Spain. They are 12,20 and 28 gauge. The LOP is 16".

I like long barrels and relatively open chokes and have many other useless opinions regarding guns.

Trailmaster and Strigidae like this.
  10. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

I've shot quite a few shotguns over the years, and although I really like doubles, they require more hand fitting for proper function, a pump or semi is easier to mass produce with good results.
    Therefore, I can only recommend pumps or semis by make and model, doubles are individual items and I've seen great ones that were cheap, as well as expensive ones that were junk, Bikal and CZ are brands I would look at though, as well as stoger.
    For pumps, I like Mossberg 500's or 590A1's and the Stoger P-350 which is identical to a benelli super black eagle.
    I've used 870's as well, but don't like them as much.
    For semi-autos, I really like the Benelli and Stoger inertia drive guns like the M2 and the M-3000.
    I prefer shorter barrels generally, except on waterfowl or dedicated clays guns.
    I prefer 12 gauge for versatility, with 20 gauge as a close second, and possibly a first choice if weight is a factor.
    Ammunition wise, I like #6 birdshot for small game hunting/foraging, slugs for big game, and 00 buckshot for SD.
    In 20 gauge I'd substitute #3 buckshot, but the rest remains the same.
    #4 buckshot can be very effective, but I prefer 00 given a choice.

Zeitgeist and Trailmaster like this.
  11. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

A few shotguns in my past :)

An SKB O/U trap gun that I wore out and left beyond economical repair.
    Winchester 101 Sporter I still have.
    Ithaca M37 8 shot
    Ithaca M37 4 shot (Asian contract from a bunch that came out of Vietnam in the 90s)
    Stevens 77 riot gun (also from the Vietnam pile)
    Winchester M12 (US military marked, bring back from Vietnam in the early 70s)
    Remington 870 (20 inch riot gun)
    Remington 1100 (had it configured as both a four shot 28inch wood stocked hunting/trap gun and a 21 inch - Polychoked - 8 shot in Choate PG stock and forend.

Plus more Govt owned 870s than I can reconcile.

If I had to have but a single gun it would be the 870. These days I may lean to the Magpul stock and forend but I would need to shoot one more, back in the day it was a Choate straight or PG stock and forend, neither are a personal option here with our laws. These days the working 870s I normally see have a factory 14inch (modified choke) barrel with a "M4" strock/adaptor and sidesaddle. Handy vehicle gun.

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  12. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Had a real nice 80's Citori 20ga o/u but I needed the optic on my AR more than a decorative shotgun I wasn't using.

Zeitgeist likes this.
  13. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I have shotgunned a Canada Dry Ginger Ale back in my wild college days.

Strigidae likes this.
  14. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

16" LOP. Wow.

KMCMICHAEL and Strigidae like this.
  15. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Remington 870 for me.

Thought I'd never want or need a shotgun. This one kind of fell into my lap as a BNIB never shot 870 Express with a Hogue stock on it. I liked the way the Hogue stuff felt, but I hated the way it shot. It provided no recoil reduction at all.

So I figured if I was going to do a shotgun, I was going to do it how I wanted it. I don't remember brand names.

Magpul Stock and forend
    Trijicon big dot front bead
    Wilson Combat safety
    Aluminum magazine follower
    +2 mag extension
    6rd side saddle
    Polished chamber

Shoots like an absolute dream and it's now one of my favorite guns.
    I keep it loaded up with Hornady Critical Defense and I have some PDX Segmenting slugs on the side saddle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

Benelli M1 Super 90 Entry 14" Barrel
    [​IMG]

17. mil spec

mil spec Member

Currently own the following Browning Citori 12 gauge, 26", Browning Citori 20 gauge 28", Browning Citori 16 gauge, 28", and a old Stevens side by side in 12 gauge.

Passed shotguns I have owned is too many to list. I was a die hard waterfowl hunter at one time always seeking for the next best shotgun. I think my best 2 for waterfowl hunting was a Remington 870 12 gauge and a Benelli Super Black Eagle. Wish I still had the Super Black Eagle. I just don't like the rib on the SBE II's.

18. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

19. W.Jester

W.Jester Member

Growing up in an area where it was shotgun only I have handled and owned quite a few shotguns ranging from 18 inch barrels to 30 in, smooth bore to rifle. Almost all were pump with one or two autos and single barrels. Through all the shotguns I learned they needed to be tough and take the abuse of going through mud, briars, salt water and just being thrown around. A synthetic stock is now all I will ever own after a few cracked wooden ones. Many brands have come and gone and the one I have decided on is Mossberg. Sure they rattle and make noise but they have never failed me when needed and their synthetic stocks I think are the best. The location of their safeties are also great. I have one where I know I have at least put 15,000 shells through with no hitch (lots and lots of skeet shooting). They have my vote and are currently the only brandI have in my house. As for shells federal all the way. The flight control wad delivers amazing patterns and performance. For buckshot during deer season I use a buck kicker choke and for other game mostly a patternmaster. This of course is just my experience and two cents on shotguns.

20. Zeek

Zeek Member

I'm a Benelli and Mossberg guy. But what I want to mention here is Hornady's Heavy Magnum Coyote loads. They make both 00 buck and a BB versions. I'm a big fan of the BB load. It's a 3" magnum shell loaded with 1.5ozs of nickel plated antimony lead. It's not my first pick for coyote hunting. However, this is my "go to" load when I need to kill some varmint in a hurry. The last raccoon my boy shot, the blood came pouring out like water through a sieve!!!
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...ge-3-1-1-2-oz-bb-nickel-plated-shot-box-of-10

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017