Survival matches are NOT all they are made out to be.......

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Bushman5, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

..............the following will demonstrate BCB International , UCO Storm Matches, RedBird Strike Anywhere, and a cheap paper match book flame patterns, burn time and size of flame.

The Contenders, left to right: (also the most expensive left to right)

BCB Interantional, 25 matches $7 CDN, UCO STORM 25 matches $6 CDN, REDBIRD Strike Anywhere 250 matches $3 CDN, and a generic paper match book (from a box of 50 books, 1000 matches) $2 CDN

[​IMG]

BCB International

[​IMG]

UCO STORM MATCH

[​IMG]

REDBIRD Strike Anywhere

[​IMG]

generic paper book match

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video of the flame pattern, size and duration of each match. Quite interesting. Sorry for the fan noise in the background.....lots of smoke

my personal favorite is the UCO matches...because you get a bombproof RE-USABLE storage container that can be reloaded with matches, fishing gear, sewing gear etc. IN the 4x4 truck however i carry the paper matches in bulk, as well as the strike anywheres. I tend to carry the BCB matches in the survival kit, sue to the compact size.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    STPNWLF, Phaedrus, Michael W. and 6 others like this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I will be elaborating on this thread,but outdoors...due the smoke alarms ...LOL

on a side note, the strike anywhere's are hard to find or restricted in the USA , due to their usage by scumbags who make meth.

they are readily available here in Canada, and I make a point of always buying a couple boxes of the strike anywheres and the book matches, EVERY TIME i'm in the grocery store. No one notices a few matches per purchase, but boy do they notice when you buy several dozen....

storage///////matches degrade over time and the heads crumble. This is due to moisture and humidity in the air. I store mine in Pelican Cases, with Dri-Zorb crystals (lots) inside the case. I keep them in the upper section of my gear locker cabinet, where it is a constant warm temp. I also ,for SAFETY,have a smoke detector DIRECTLY above the case. Just in case.

Datilite and Zeek like this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

HA HA HA!!! What a great thread sir and i look forward to the results. Im no match guy but it would be interesting to see.

mil spec likes this.
  4. JAD

JAD Member

The UCO Storm and the generic box of stick matches are the two that I keep for my fire kits. I just sort of gravitated to them just by trying and liking them. This is a fun little thread and I'll be tuning in.

On a sidenote, I keep a throwaway tin pan 10 x 14 inches with approximately two inch sides on it in my shop. I call it my fire box and use it to occasionally do an indoor burn in it. It could be testing a PJCB or a Tinder Quik for a burn rate or playing with a new firesteel. My wife always freaks out when she smells something burning. :)

Bushman5 likes this.
  5. mil spec

mil spec Member

Interesting when compared side by side. The 2 cheaper matches impressed me more. I just wonder how the 4 brands perform in a damp environment.

Side note: I find it getting more difficult to find strike any where matches in my area. Last time I found them was in an Amish store.

Bushman5 likes this.
  6. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I buy the UCO strike anywhere matches off Amazon. Very cheap and they light off of pretty much anything.

See my brass match case thread.

gobblegobble and scout1sg like this.
  7. Expat

8. elgatoloco

elgatoloco Member

I use swan matches here - these are strike anywhere types - £1 for 4x85 matches - straight off the supermarket shelf.

Weird to see similar matches that cost £3 for 20 of them dipped in wax...although there's some business idea I guess :)

9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

one way to supercharge the paperbook matches is to do this:

[​IMG]

fold back about 8 matches

[​IMG]

dip the book of matches in hot wax, leaving the striker surface and the 8 matches wax free.

[​IMG]

DO NOT WAX the striker surface!
    [​IMG]

now you have a self contained manual igniting fires starter, and since these are so cheap, its worth carrying about 25 of them in the pack, scattered thruout the jacket and pants (in ziplocs) (NOTE: this is not waterproofing them,but rather adding to the book of matches to turn it into a firestarter)

oh boy, hope the fire alarm doesn't go off, but here goes....:confused:

Dagwood, Michael W., Datilite and 2 others like this.
  10. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    This thread could also be called, "The Making of an Arsonist."

Datilite, Zeek, chorpie and 2 others like this.
  11. Expat

It needs a red doll burning in effigy

Reno Lewis and Bushman5 like this.
  12. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Strigidae likes this.
  13. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I keep a mix of UCO lifeboat matches and standard strike anywheres in my Exotac matchcap.

Zeek likes this.
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

koolaidnd likes this.
  15. scout1sg

scout1sg Member

I'll second on the UCO Strike Anywhere, I haven't found too many somewhat abrasive surfaces they won't fire off from.

16. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

Thats a good profit!

elgatoloco likes this.
  17. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Member

The Titan matches are awe inspiring! They're almost overkill, though. I do keep some in my gear but I think the regular UCO Stormproof are a bit more practical due to the size and expense. I like the UCO match case; it seals well and is pretty roomy. I make up some kits in them about half full of matches plus extra strikers, a small firesteel and some tinder (usually some Tinder-Quik and strips of Tinder Card).

Overall I'm not a big fan of matches, either. A lighter is more economical and firesteels are more reliable and last longer. Still, matches are cool and I usually have some of them with me.

Bushman5 and Zeek like this.
  18. troutfisher13111

troutfisher13111 Member

I just use regular wooden matches and keep a couple striker pads in with them. That's what fits best in my K&M's

I might look into the UCO strike anywhere though, I didn't know they existed until this thread.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.