Grayman Knives

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by VolGrad, Nov 22, 2016.

1. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Who has them? These have always had my attention but I've never handled one.

Those who have them - compare overall size (feel) to something I might already be familiar with. I'm thinking the Dua is similar to a ZT550? Also compare fit and finish and smoothness of blade deployment, etc. Of course, my Sebenza is the benchmark by which all others are measured. Will I be disappointed if I pull the trigger?

I'm considering a DLC Dua with the textured CF scale.

@GaryMc step in here.

Slade likes this.
  2. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I have the Kordofan.

3. Slade

Slade Member

I'm curious to see what the responses are on this. I know people seem to like them, but I'm not a fan of the aesthetics. The price is quite high, so I would also like to know how people feel about the value.

4. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

I want a dua. <------me not being helpful.

Slade likes this.
  5. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

The only one I ever owned was the fixed blade Warrior, it was big heavy duty knife but didn't care for it so much, my Esee 6 is much more usable.

[​IMG]

Zeek likes this.
  6. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I see Dua going on Echamge on BF for anywhere from $200-300 so there is value out there if I wasn't stuck on a DLC version.

My fear is the F&F will be average and I'll end up with another big heavy knife I won't carry much. I have owned a ZT550 (actually the same one twice) and rarely carried it as I generally prefer thinner slicers.

7. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

The Dua is a very civilized easy to carry little tank of a knife. It is as well made & engineered as a Sebenza or a Hinderer. It is almost the exact same size as a DPx Hest f/2.0 except thinner in the pocket with a little wider & thicker blade. If your level of measure is the Sebenza though you will be disappointed. The edges come somewhat toothy which is to be expected of a Grayman bevel. Mine has about a 1" section that I'm still trying to get to my liking, all but that 1" on the belly was razor sharp so don't expect a great edge out of the box. My SATU on the other hand had a perfect toothy edge that was razor sharp throughout so I figure it varies knife to knife coming from Grayman. The Dua is really solid little tank, solid lockup, easy to deploy. Not sorry I bought it and enjoy carrying it but the blade does not compare out of the box to a Sebenza or a Hinderer for example. It is slightly smaller and a lot thinner in my pocket than my ZT0456 but dollar for dollar the 0456 is a much better knife would be another comparison. I'll try to take some comparison pictures later today for you. The best comment I have for it is it a solid little pocketable knife I'm not sure you could break, well engineered and executed construction but the blade bevel leaves a lot to be desired. I really need to see if I can get the blade razor sharp like I'd like it and then I might have better comments for it.

8. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I knew you would deliver. All great comments. Thanks so much. I mostly just love the looks of the Dua. It doesn't really fill a niche I'm missing.

I've always felt it would be more of a rustic Sebenza and your comments seem to confirm that. I'd likely be better served sticking with my large Insingo and if I just want a new knife look at the new Inkoso or another old 25.

GaryMc likes this.
  9. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I couldn't leave it alone. I found a fair deal on a like new (carried twice) CF Dua. It isn't DLC but it looks great. I can't wait for it to arrive next week.

10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

11. Mingecutter

Mingecutter Member

Keep us posted on your initial impressions if you would. I've eyed them for quite some time now and would be interested to hear about the the grip/length of the knife in hand and during use. I have medium size hands and prefer a full four finger grip on my EDC folders. Congrats on the score!

Delkancott likes this.
  12. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Will do. Should be here Wednesday. Luckily I'll be working from home and here to receive it.

13. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

I'm very interested too.

14. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Sorely disappointed - USPS hasn't delivered it yet. Still says expected today but mail has come and it hasn't even been checked in at my local PO. Stuck in transit somewhere between TX and GA.

15. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Weird. The Dua is a nice folder with an impressive pivot. I plan on getting another one and regrinding it with a deep hollow grind.

16. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

17. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

You might get to regrind mine if it's not got a good edge.

18. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Alright folks, the day has arrived. The Grayman Dua arrived today. I am pretty excited about it. I have eyed them for a long time but was hesitant to pull the trigger. This one has a CF scale. They are normally Ti or G10 with the occasional run of CF. I originally wanted a DLC coated blade but this one is nice and I'm not disappointed. This one has the stonewashed Ti side and stonewashed blade. It looks great. I like the rustic look.

Initial impressions are good. I'll throw some random thoughts down then post some size comparison pics with other knives you are probably already familiar with.

• The overall size is really good. It isn't a big knife but isn't a small knife either. It rides right in the "just right" size range. The blade length is 3.25" with a 3" cutting edge. The weight is nice too. I like my knives a little on the heavy side. This one weighed in at 4.7 ounces on my kitchen scale. For comparison my Large Sebenza 21 Insingo weighed in at 4.6 ounces while my Large Griptilian weighed in at 3.3 ounces.
    • I have had it in my pocket all day and it's a really good carry based on size and weight. It is a little wider than some of my knives front to back but it's pretty thin. In the pic below the Dua looks much thicker than the CRK but it's a bit misleading. The screw heads on the Dua are not as flush against the scale as on the CRK so it makes it appear thicker when laid flat. The feel is about the same in the pocket or in hand. The pocket clip has good retention. The clip makes the knife ride about the same height out of the pocket as a Sebenza.
    • The blade steel is CPM 20CV which I'm not too familiar with. I have no idea if this one has been sharpened or touched up as I'm the second owner but the previous owner said he literally carried it two times and said it had the factory edge so I will take his word for it. The grind appears pretty even except for maybe one spot near the tip that's not quite the same but it isn't something I'd worry about. I looked at a couple of my other knives and at least one or two had a slight difference in a similar spot. The edge is toothy and decently sharp. I might eventually send it to @Bcamos to make it more scalpel like but don't plan to do anything to it right away.
    • The fit and finish is good. The blade is centered and rock solid. The screw heads on the handle screws are a little rough but nothing to worry about. If they bother me I might take a small pad and rub them a little to take the edges off. It's kind of weird though that the clip screws are regular Phillips head while the CF side appear to be Torx or star heads. The pivot is pretty tight making the blade a little difficult to deploy with just my thumb. There is a thumb stud on both sides so I'm currently using two fingers to open the blade. I suppose this would make it good for a lefty. I am going to practice opening it for a little before I decide if I want to loosen the pivot some (think CRK Umnumzaan and this will make sense). I actually think the issue isn't tightness of the pivot but that I'm phasing in on the lock bar when I'm trying to open the blade. When you open the blade there's a nice "clunk" sound like with my CRKs. There is good jimping on the spine. The finger choil is built into the grip.
    • The lock-up is right at 50%. There's no lock stick per se but when I unlock the blade there is a slight grinding feel which will likely wear in as I use it. The blade drops freely when unlocked.
    • The CF scale is a little on the smooth side. I'd probably prefer a little more texture like was on my Spyderco Sage 5.
    • For some reason this knife reminds me a little of a DPX Heat - like the Heat's bigger brother maybe.
    Now for some pics. In all pics the knives shown are (from left to right); Benchmade Large Griptilian, Grayman Dua, CRK Large Sebenza 21.

FullSizeRender_2.jpg FullSizeRender_1.jpg FullSizeRender_3.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender_4.jpg

Flex, Bushman5, Strigidae and 4 others like this.
  19. Menace

Menace Member

You beat me to it. I was going to say you wouldn't be disappointed. A beefier (or "rustic") sebenza would be a good comparison analogy. I love mine.

20161229_105906-01.jpeg

Delkancott likes this.
  20. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman Member

My Ti Dua is a folder that would be one of the last to go if I found myself having to sell them all. A carbon fiber DLC Dua would be awesome.