rifle training with my son

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by indulf, Jan 5, 2017.

1. indulf

indulf Member

so i'm an OK shooter, but i'm by no means an expert. i'd like to step it up this year with some real deal training.

that said, i'd like to find something where my 11yo son would be able to join. seems like a tall order, and i might need to find a private instructor.

any suggestions? i want to get some instruction on my scoped bolt action rifle, open sights on our ARs, and with CQB type optic on an AR. would like to leave with some "homework" that we can do on a regular basis to keep up with our skills.

of course our end goal is to become more proficient, but i am also looking to get comfortable enough with my son's shooting skills for the 2017 deer season.

thanks!

2. Jeff350

Jeff350 Member

Check out an Appleseed class for sure. It really drills the basics of rifle shooting, has some American history thrown in, and most of all is a lot of fun.

I did my first Appleseed last year and there was a boy scout troop there with boys about your sons age. They had a good time. A lot of them were shooting single shots which made the class difficult. If you can set up a 10/22 with tech sights and a GI sling it will make the class more enjoyable and you will learn more.

I don't know that you'll find a "tactical" class that an 11 year old could do. Maybe you could do the class and pass the skills on to him.

3. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Appleseed. You should take that together.

Tactical Response for anything tactical. They have had 12 year old girls go through their classes.

I would also suggest you read Art of the Rifle by Jeff Cooper and try to instill those principles into him.

Most of firearms traning can be done outside of the range. Safety, weapon manipulation, building muscle memory, situational awareness, etc, etc, etc.

Aligning the sites and squeezing the trigger is the smallest part of the whole firearms training process.

Finally understand that this is a lifelong journey of study. There is no point of arrival when youre "done".

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  4. olderguy

olderguy Member

I was a shooting instructor for the Denver Area BSA Council for 20 years and the reason they were shooting single shot rifles is because that's the BSA guideline. It's a good teaching method for youngsters to teach them basic trigger control,aiming,breathing,etc.