Modern Heroes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bcamos, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Ever wondered how the elite forces guys go completely under the radar in the civilian population? To most people, they wouldn't even notice someone that's "military" at all. To some guys that understand what to look for, you still sometimes can't tell the difference between a SEAL and an Army truck driver in plain clothes.

For me, it's easy to spot a dude that's clearly military, but the look is easy to replicate. So without actually talking to the person, you just never know.

The whole point here is that I met my brother-in-law's brother (will be known as BILB) yesterday. He came out to the house while my sister was in town with her family. BILB is a MARSOC Scout Sniper. Looking at him, you'd have absolutely no clue. Just a county boy in boots, jeans and a hoodie. My brother in law is a supply clerk in the Navy, and he wears Rocky boots, with 5.11 pants and his issued fleece tactical jacket. He's one of those guys that's easy to spot in the crowd. As are most of us. Sometimes I dress like that if I'm in the mood. Doesn't meant we're trying to prove a point, sometimes those clothes match what we're doing for the day.

Anyway, BILB wanted to do some shooting and strangely enough, I actually taught him a few things. We talked about tactical classes and shooting in general. We talked about how ego can get in the way and they're taught from day one to never think you're better than anyone else just because of where they work. He's a super humble guy that's a complete badass. Reminds me a lot of my friend who's husband is in Army SF. Super humble guy that grows his own tea when he's not on deployment.

I think TV and social media have taught us that SF/SEAL/MARSOC/Delta guys are supposed to be these whiskey chugging, beard having, fast shooting, modern day spartans. But the truth is, they're not. Not all of them, at least. The ones that I've met think that chest rigs are gay, Eotech's are too fancy, and a factory Glock does the job just fine. Most of these guys don't really talk about what they do unless you ask, and even then - they're not too open about it. They think it's just a job and there's nothing cool about it. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here with a tacti-boner asking about his M110 and he tells me that everyone on his team hates the rifle and they much prefer their M40's.

This thread doesn't have much of a direction - just some observations I've made while talking to BILB yesterday and realizing that the portrayal of the special operation forces seems to be a bit skewed.

GaryMc, JMJ and JAD like this.
  2. JAD

JAD Member

I'm glad to hear a story like this. I've read enough stuff to believe it is that way and real life experiences generally seem to confirm it. It seems akin to the WWII veterans and their unwillingness to talk about the things they had done. I'm not naive in believing it is all about humility for the WWII vets. Certainly much of it must also be about the ravages of war that they witnessed and chose to not speak of.

I have a cousin that is a little bit older than me. When I was little I would write to him while he served in Vietnam. When he wrote back he would sometimes include a picture with a very sanitized version of where he was. But he never spoke of being over there as long as I have known him. He is 68 years old now. He was with me last week. He had a photo album with him for giving a talk at a Veteran's Day school event for his granddaughter. He showed me a handful of pictures from Vietnam. It was not the sanitized stuff he revealed before. I didn't ask questions. Didn't feel the need. Enough said.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    GaryMc likes this.
  3. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

I agree, most Special Forces / Seals I've ever known were humble and you'd never know they were one. None dressed the part in civilian life and everyone of them you had to really get to know before you ever found out they were ex-SF or an ex-Seal, they just don't talk about it, as you said it was a job, hard one but still a job at least to them.

4. VaughnT

VaughnT Member

I've known two guys that I knew were swimmers in the Navy. They were both incredibly rude, in my estimation, though exceptionally skilled in their trade and not someone you'd want to be on the wrong side of.

And they didn't dress like you might expect. Regular clothes, regular haircuts, just plain regular all around. If they wore BDU trousers while we were training, it was because they're comfortable and roomy, not because they were going for a certain look.

Of course, sitting at the bar, I've met hundreds of "special forces" fellows. Old drinkers will say just about anything to sound more impressive than they really are. Kind of sad.

Bcamos and GaryMc like this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I used to work with a guy (he was my OIC at one point) you could tell he was switched on but so were many guys we worked with at the time. I actually had to read the history of the Australian Special Air Service Regiment to find out he was a Trooper who served two tours with SASR in Vietnam. Those who have generally don't feel to much need to tell you so. Those who wish they had seem to talk about it lots.

GaryMc likes this.