James Yeager and ESEE Knives

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by DiscoveryLover, Oct 28, 2016.

1. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

2. JMJ

JMJ Member

Cool video thanks for posting! Yeager seems different to me now in this than a few years back. For some reason I was turned off by his attitude years ago and quit watching anything he put out, this has me rethinking that.

kyhunt, Bushman5 and DiscoveryLover like this.
  3. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I've known James for about maybe 12-13 years or so now. Something like that. Jeff actually introduced me to him. Jeff, Hugh, and I were at his house for a class somewhere around late 2003 I think.

He is only kind of like he is in the videos. I mean, that's him and his personality--saying things he feels strongly about--but the videos only capture a part of him. He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet which doesn't really come across in the video. He'll tell you your an idiot if you do something idiotic, that's not the kind of nice I'm talking about--lie to you to make you feel better. But, he spent a lot of money to turn his basement into a team room and lets complete strangers stay there. If you take a class from him, you get to stay in his personal residence for free. That's about as accommodating a person as I've ever known. If he sees you are in need, he makes stuff happen. That's James.

If he's friends with you, he'd go to the ends of the earth for you if you needed something. You could live in Minnesota and if you called him in the middle of the night and you really needed his help, he'd be on his way, or he'd find someone to help you if he couldn't.

He's a very genuine person. Some people don't like that. They say they respect honesty and then get pissed when you tell them something they don't want to hear. If you like straight shooters, you can't help but like James. You won't always agree with him, but who WILL you always agree with?

But I get this impression that most people that don't like James think he's some arrogant dude walking around always putting people down. That's just simply not the case. Most of the people (maybe all of the people that I know) that don't like him have never actually met him. They watch a youtube video about him talking bad about 1911's and they form an opinion about him that just isn't fair.

I've had hundreds, probably thousands of hours of tactical training and James is still one of the best, if not THE best instructor I've ever trained with. Take a class like Fighting Pistol with him teaching it and stay at his house and the average person won't have much bad to say about James.

4. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

The guys over on XDtalk basically hate the guy because of his opinion of their beloved pistols. They look for any chance to bash the guy. It's pretty comical, actually.

5. Expat

I didn't know he bashed XD's but I can see why :p

Blake G, Donkey and JMJ like this.
  6. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

What Expat said. Known James a long time. I could call him tonight and tell him I needed him rolling this way with firepower, food, people and a suitcase nuke and he'd be here and probably have all of it. If he likes you, he will put his ass on the line for you (and still call you an idiot when he thinks you did something idiotic). Good man. One of the best trainers out there, in my opinion, but coming from me that doesn't mean much because I know almost zero about anything tactical. Lots of people hate James but that's their opinion and business.

7. JMJ

JMJ Member

Thanks Expat and Jeff, good to hear this from both of you cause I've definitely grown to respect y'all opinions over the last few years that I've been here.

All my experience of James has been from some YouTube vids and some articles on his training. Loved the articles, and I'm sure I mistook passion about a topic for arrogance and was guilty of letting his anti 40sw rant shape my opinion back when I saw his videos. I tend to have way more respect for someone that'll tell me I'm being an idiot than someone that sugar coats and blows smoke up my ass.

Thanks again, I'll be looking more into his stuff!

8. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Make no mistake about it, he's arrogant, but that's what makes him Yeager. :)

koolaidnd likes this.
  9. Expat

Good on you, @JMJ

Oh yeah, .40's suck!!!!!

JMJ likes this.
  10. JMJ

JMJ Member

They do once you jump to the 10mm:D

First he's a glock guy so that wins over caliber choice for me haha! I used to buy into the hype of 40sw having speed of the 9mm and hits like a 45acp. Now it's just what I've invested time and money into owning and training with.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Blake G likes this.
  11. JMJ

JMJ Member

The older I get the more I hear I'm "abrasive" when it comes to work tasks and stuff I'm passionate about so I'm starting to understand some arrogance is just self confidence in action.

12. Marty W

Marty W Member

I've often wondered why James gets the haters he has. I watch most of his videos, and my impression was just as you all are saying. I was hoping that was the case. I live 20 miles from him, but never met him. I'd like to train with him at some point. His info seems to be practical and useful. Confidence is often mistaken for arrogance. A man in his field has to be confident. I subscribe to his channel and I can't say I agree with everything he says, and I know he has some very strong feelings about certain subjects, but I like his videos. His opinions usually have merit to them. Thanks guys for your info. It makes me like him even more knowing he's that kind of guy.

DiscoveryLover and JMJ like this.
  13. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

I don't know Yeager well enough to give an opinion. I haven't watched many of his videos except the controversial ones. My first contact was before he went to Iraq. One thing that does stand out is that he was always motivated to find training within or outside his LE agency. Many people do not seize opportunities because of the lackadaisical leanings of peers.

DiscoveryLover and JMJ like this.
  14. JKPirate08

JKPirate08 Member

Met him many times on his not infrequent trips to Indiana, at Blade, etc. he is a totally different guy than what his videos come across as. He's a solid dude, and not arrogant in person at all. Some of his vids drive me nuts with all his quirks and jerks, it he's an all around good guy!

JMJ likes this.
  15. Spartan

Spartan Member

Well in his vids, you have to remember, a persons entertainment/recorded personality may not be how they actually are in person. Some vids can come off outrageous and crazy from many YT posters. Heard from other guys about him on a few other forums like on LightFighter not so great things, but met him a few times over the years like at NRA, he was personable and nothing like his videos as some hate his brodude attitude, doesnt bug me lol.

Has he said some off the handle stuff? Sure. But at least he continues to grow and move forward, hopefully see at SHOT and shoot the ****.

I watch YT to pass the time, or sometimes forward to my Officers to annoy the hell out of them lol. His videos are entertaining, so I dunno, maybe some folks are to sensitive? "Hate Threads" imo are pointless. As long as he doesn't scam people out of money, or try to ruin other people, IDGAF tbh. A lot of the tacticool crowd tends to hate here and there, but then is it legitimate or just ego driven then?

Some say hes an assh*le, or full of himself. Success can breed a lot of jealousy, but eh, just my 2 cents. Props on losing weight and getting fit though, I remember when he was a wee bit comfy.

Jeff Randall and JMJ like this.
  16. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Do you ever call him an idiot for mispronouncing ESEE? Isy.

17. JD Miller

JD Miller Member

I never heard of him before now.

looked like a pretty good video he made.

Im started to eyeball one of them Esee 6CMs for some reason

Strigidae likes this.
  18. JD Miller

JD Miller Member

This is pretty funny

19. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

He seems rather opinionated, a good way to draw criticism and attention.

I have disliked the .40 S&W way longer than he has. I carried and taught revolvers, Berretas, H&K, 870s, M4, MP-5 I have likely taught and oversaw way more firearms training hours than he has...nobody really gives a **** about my opinions(including me), so why should anyone get so upset about his?

I never worked in the private sector but must assume that one must be a sort of character to sell your training program.

20. Expat

@KMCMICHAEL , I really hope we get to hang out some day. You aren't coming to SHOT by any chance, are you?

KMCMICHAEL likes this.