Pappy Van Winkle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Whittington, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Scott Whittington

Scott Whittington Member

So I am not a liquor drinker at all. If you have been around me you know I can drink a keg of beer with no problem, but put a sip of any liquor in my system and I am done for the night! I am the exact opposite of my brother in this category. He is the liquor drinker in our family.

I tell you that to get to the Pappy Van Winkle. I have been trying for years to get a bottle of this stuff so I can give it to my brother for either a birthday or Christmas. I am actually on waiting list at 7 liquor stores and have been for years. So my question to you guys who know about this stuff, is there a way to get a bottle without spending an arm and a leg on Ebay? I hear it is more readily available over seas and in certain states. Is this true? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Slade likes this.
  2. IW17

IW17 Member

Keep waiting, pay thousands, armed robbery, or befriend someone who is important with a lot of pull. Hate to say it but it's true. Like yourself, I'm on waiting lists at every liquor store in my area, and I have family on lists in other states. It's been years and no luck so far. It sucks, because Pappy's is one of a kind.

3. JAD

JAD Member

My son and I are both bourbon drinkers (in my case going on 40 years now:D). I have never had the occasion to try Pappy Van Winkle. I have had the opportunity (and chose not to pay $40 for a shot). My son on the other hand has enjoyed an entire bottle with friends twice this past year alone. I guess I just run in the wrong circles. But here's the rub.

He said to me he would take a bottle of Middleton Irish Whiskey any day.

[​IMG]

The purists will tell you that Irish Whiskey is not a Kentucky bourbon. My very refined response to those people is piss off. I drink to what my palate enjoys. Middleton Irish Whiskey is the finest smoothest tasting bourbon whiskey money can buy. It will set you back about $140-150 bottle and can be found in most finer liquor stores. This is our family's celebratory whiskey that is pulled out to celebrate a wondrous occasion. We serve it over a couple of large cubes. A little ice melt will release the delightful flavor. Your brother would certainly appreciate it if he enjoys bourbon.

I make this offer to you. I will reimburse you for the bottle if your brother doesn't think it was worth it. Just a thought for you. Yep I am dead serious. It is that good. Even my non bourbon drinking friends will say to me that it is the best liquor they have ever tasted. Better than Pappy? Who knows. But you can't readily buy Pappy so who cares. My suggestion is only that it is a damn fine alternative.

Slade, Spartan and Delkancott like this.
  4. Scott Whittington

Scott Whittington Member

That is a hell of an endorsement and offer. I doubt I can find this in NC but I will check. If not there is a great liquor store just across the boarder in SC that I think will have it. I think you have me convinced and I will work on hunting him down a bottle. Thank you!

5. Spartan

Spartan Member

Wait and Pay seems to be the ticket, there was plenty of tasty drinks at SEMA 2 weeks ago, a lot of big spenders at the PAP after the show each day would drop crazy coin on drinks and food, I dunno, can't justify spending so much for drinks if I am in a forgetful mood lol. If its on a client or I am visiting somewhere and its offered to me, I wont say no.

6. Slade

Slade Member

@vBlake mentioned in the what are you drinking thread that the Pappy is on a 10 year wait list! :O don't know what the source of the info is.

Funny that $140 seems like so much for Bourbon to me now but when someone tells me Scotch is $100-150 bottle I don't bat an eye. Blow that's not to say I'm running out to buy any, but I don't mind a finger or two now and then without feeling too bad about it. I may have to look into this Irish bourbon.

The only thing I've ever spent that kind of money of was Reserva De La Familia Jose Cuervo Extra Extra Anejo and while it was some time ago, I remember it being worth every penny to me at the time. This is the 1X Anejo http://tequila.underthelabel.com/l/613/Jos-Cuervo-Reserva-de-La-Familia-Tequila
    To me, good long barreled tequila drinks very much like good whiskey/bourbon.

7. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

I just sat in line last week at the ABC store. The entire state only got about 8 bottles of 23yr Pappy and about the same on the other ages. Picked up a few Buffalo Trace brands, which are rare enough here, but wasnt here early enough for the good stuff.

No way I'm camping out for bourbon.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    Spartan likes this.
  8. vBlake

vBlake Member

That was for my local store here in Little Rock, Arkansas. Colonial wine and spirits. I thought it was crazy. Maybe he was just being difficult.

Slade likes this.
  9. Mbshooter

Mbshooter Member

The question is what year pappy are you looking for? If you have a total wine you have to be one of their highest club members to even have a chance. ABC does a lottery system for their allocation which anyone can sign up for. Unless you get extremely lucky. The secondary market is probably your best chance. Pappy is some great juice if you like theaters. Personally I enjoy George T Staff the most out of the antique collection.

10. silliussodus

silliussodus Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  11. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I'm a bourbon guy but have never had Pappy and wouldn't pay the price for it. Too many other great bottles for less money.

I do want to make my own poor mans Pappy but can't seem to find the right vintage Weller locally. Still looking.

12. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

I hear that Pappy is the cats ass when it come to bourbon. I am a tequila drinker my self and have tried many, many kinds of tequila and have found that price does not equal quality or taste, the most expensive is not always the best. Hype has a lot to do with popularity and I for one don't believe in the hype.

13. indulf

indulf Member

ive had pappy. it's very good, but not worth the effort and cost.

weller 12 year and weller special reserve are every bit as good. other good choices are four roses single barrel, willet pot still, booker's, blanton single barrel, and buffalo trace. none of them are anywhere near as expensive as a bottle of pappy and they are as good or better.

another alternate is the "poor man's pappy". i have tried this and i really don't think many people could tell the difference between it and pappy 10 year. 50/50 blend of weller 12 and weller antique - put it in a decanter and let it sit for a week or so. 60/40 antique to 12 and it's pretty dang close to pappy 15, but the 50/50 is closer to pappy 10 than anything else.

C99c likes this.
  14. indulf

indulf Member

it is very good.. well worth the effort.

C99c likes this.
  15. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I can easily find WL Weller Special Reserve (7yr) and the Antique. I can't find the WL Weller 12.

timdgsr likes this.
  16. indulf

indulf Member

i see it here in NC fairly often. i'll let you know if i come across a bottle soon.

VolGrad likes this.
  17. IW17

IW17 Member

I tried bulleit rye last weekend and I gotta say it's one of the smoothest I've ever had. Definitely worth a try.

Strigidae likes this.
  18. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Had some last night myself. I liked it.

19. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Im a new convert to rye and whoa is it good.

20. IW17

IW17 Member

I feel like bourbon has a better flavor, but rye seems to be smoother. In my opinion at least.

Strigidae likes this.