Human Powered Vehicle - Trekking Cart Build

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Bushman5, May 24, 2018.

1. Packrat

Packrat Member

2. Packrat

Packrat Member

Sorry guys,messed that up,Stone's quote made me think of the movie The Road:eek:

Stone and Bushman5 like this.
  3. Stone

Stone Member

Technology is great, when it's easy to figure out and works right. :confused: ;)

In that regard, I prefer carts and machetes to software. :cool:

Sean, Packrat and Bushman5 like this.
  4. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Awesome job bushy! I am following this but I got no emails or flags saying stuff was added!

Bushman5 likes this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  6. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

CeeFried likes this.
  7. CeeFried

CeeFried Member

One upped them with the shopping cart basket....fricken love that idea....oh the molle that can be attached ......love me the molle possibilities? Also the blew It on the non OD....just sayin

Bushman5 likes this.
  8. CeeFried

CeeFried Member

Saw the OD.... I stand corrected.... but your has soul so again better

Bushman5 likes this.
  9. CeeFried

CeeFried Member

All that money invested and the website doesn't even show a pic....failed hard Hensdrick not everyone does PDF.... lost my mass order....I'll just take a Bushman5'r built anyhow

BlueDogScout and Bushman5 like this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

UPDATE:

ditched the heavy shopping cart basket cart, and swapped the axle over to a custom made 1061 aluminum flatdeck.

Still need to drill holes for lashing/bungees on the side rails, as well as on the deck. 6 of the stainless mounting bolts that secure the sides to the deck are ring bolts. Makes lashing with paracord very secure

it's pretty badass. Can be used as a general use flatdeck , or throw on my Pelican cases / coolers, or FrontRunner cargo boxes, or duffel bags etc.

I liked my aluminum flatdeck build so much I bought and cut material for a longer deck. I'll put it together sometime.

A1F726C0-C321-454E-ABCA-D2103F578A3E.jpeg BAEB1DD1-6207-4D99-B1C6-5A4FE1B431A2.jpeg 3786C8C0-E953-4C86-A8F8-D6A15AC65C7F.jpeg
    BB84238B-A18B-4A6C-B02D-B1C89BE58F2F.jpeg 15C50237-ECA6-465D-A666-06F7D1F8A9F3.jpeg 7A10890C-5981-439D-AC25-B60ED0D88C43.jpeg 882BAF7E-BD7E-45DA-8527-FD7C3AF6067E.jpeg
    980D659A-04EC-4039-BE09-EFBD327A6276.jpeg

the axle is secured in an axle tube, which is secured to the cart flatdeck with stainless U-Bolts. It's bomber - full floating axle design

6B500E89-DBA1-4987-B439-86F5DB9F96AF.jpeg ED4F14EF-9BB1-4C22-B06C-176A0A3268AA.jpeg
    8263165F-7C02-47D9-BAF0-2BF12EA6BBDD.jpeg

Not sure if you can see it, but the haul arms slip snugly into the cart receiver tubes and there is an stainless pin with spring clip that goes thru both and secures it.
    24CEF6C1-7476-4265-9362-AF1B9B61670E.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    Paycheck, anrkst6973, jdh and 3 others like this.
  11. Bozho

Bozho Member

Are you going to put brakes on these disks :rolleyes:

12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

nope. Don't need them. The cart , even heavily loaded , is extremely easy to stop . And adding disc brakes / brake levers just complicates and clutters up the cart. More crap to break and repair in the field.

I'll take the discs off eventually , just haven't gotten around to it.

Zeek likes this.
  13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Bump to the top!

the aluminum trekking cart was so successful and useful for hauling hiking gear / camping gear for my adventures, that I've decided to one up myself and build a Gen 3 Trekking Cart

Gen 3 Trekking Cart (The Recon Cart - trademarking the name soon ) will feature the following:

- the same full floating axle and axle tube as my current cart - it has proven itself to be nukeproof.

- fatter 5" x 29" fat tire bike tires, rims, etc.

- POSSIBLY electric drive wheels.... ;)

- 100 % waterPROOF dry storage, which will also make the cart floatable thru creeks / shallow rivers

- animal proof storage (for food)

- built in 20 liter water storage , with spigot for canteen top up on the exterior of the cart, a filler cap , as well as quick disconnect hydration tube running thru the haul arms to the person hauling the cart.

- interior AND exterior Molle panels with Quick/Grips for tool (axe, saw, Spetsnaz shovel) and Molle pouches for highly organized gear storage.

- ruck hooks for hanging a ruck for transport

- lithium battery to power LED trail lights and camp lights. Solar panel and charging unit as well

- stainless mini shackles front / rear for pulling assistance via rope

- a potential military application, a couple of local CDN Forces folks were interested in my Gen 2 cart - they suggested some upgrades , and that they might be interested in testing locally

- plus more

STAY TUNED! :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    Paycheck and anrkst6973 like this.
  14. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

I have a somewhat similar project, but more revolving around an external frame of a large backpack (Eberlestock Warhammer, in my case). Imagine a mix between a rolling luggage and a dolly. Something along those lines.

Bushman5 likes this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Looking forward to seeing your ideas!

Paycheck likes this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Right now I'm talking with multiple local metal fabricators / welders. I've done multiple drawings, cardboard & tape models and am confident that 75% of my design can be laser cut from a single sheet of aluminum , then press brake bent into shape and welded . The rest of the components are easily stamped / bent / cut / welded

Paycheck, Dagwood and anrkst6973 like this.
  17. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

Now you need a harness to get one of your house panthers to pull it for you

812F2EC7-E2DD-4270-9EC5-8ADB75384166.gif

Paycheck and Bushman5 like this.
  18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I’m back at my old trucking company I worked for 5 years at , as of a few weeks ago.

Better pay, better dispatching, trucks that are maintained to provincial truck standards .

The company I’ve been at for a year and a half did not work out. They did not respect my 100% stellar commercial driving record , nor did they respect my concerns on major safety issues. There was some interesting screaming and ego trips from the owner multiple times and I’m not willing to put up with behaviour like that .

I’m definitely not willing to compromise safety or my flawless commercial trucking license , so it was on to a better company.

The best part is not only am I working for a great trucking company, one of our customers next door is a family run fabrication / weld shop.

they were really interested in my Gen 3 Trekking Cart design and are excited to fabricate / weld it for me.

Will be starting the build in August

:cool:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2023