The Scout Rifle

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

6.5x55 is a very popular round out here. Has been since the 70s when the Swede Mausers started showing up in large numbers (I have a like new one in back of the safe). When Tikka and Sako started offering all there flavours of rifle in them they took off. Of the six guys I regularly hunt with three are using Tikkas in x55.

2. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

6.5x55has likely killed more moose than any oth4r caliber. We as Americans tend to chase for the perfect caliber. It has spurred a lot of innovation but is often just a hobby unto itself.
    We looked at and used several semi auto pistol calibers and came back to the 9mm. The number of wildcat rifle chamberings is uncountable. What will the .44 mag do that cannot be done with a modern .45 Colt especially in a five shot revolver. Of course I consider the scout rifle sort of in the same vein. I built one 25 years ago thinking it was the thang!
    I did have a Swede whose only purpose was me drip firing it in my office until a coworker decided he had to have it at greater cost. I wish I had kept it.
    We are finally coming around to the 6.5 as the Creedmoor is immensely popular. The Grendel seems to have lost some ground but it is the best possible caliber for the AR platform.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

If I get around to building another hunting rifle any day in the next decade it will most probably be a .260Rem.

Lostviking and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  4. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I did have a .260 in a TC Encore. It was a custom barrel that I misplaced and lost in a move.

Lostviking and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  5. Skip808

Skip808 Member

This reminds me of a conversation I had this weekend. A friend asked me why I have so many different calibers of hunting rifles. He’s new to rifle hunting and just bought a 6.5 CM. I told him they all have a purpose. The 30-30 is for the brush looking for pigs. 243 is for out to about 300 yards and the 308 is if I may need to stretch out to over 300 yds. The 22LR is for cheap trigger control practice.

Told him there is no perfect rifle. They all have their place. Also told him he should get at least one more as a spare And a shotgun for bird season. I think by the end of this his wife will be burning a voodoo doll of me.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  6. Andy the Aussie

Yes the front row in my safe (working left to right) goes .22LR, 22/250, .308Win, .300Win, .375H&H, .308Win (Steyr SSG) 12ga and 30/30. Each has a purpose.....just like a golf cart ... :D

The Marsh Gorilla and Skip808 like this.
  7. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

.375 H&H seems overkill for Europe but I guess if you want to prevent another “articulate young corporal” from taking on the world again, it might come in handy.

jeeter and KMCMICHAEL like this.
  8. jeeter

jeeter Member

I have an Argentine mauser carbine that would probably fit the bill for a great scout rifle. 17" barrel, iron sights, 1-2" groups iron sighted at 100 yds, 7.65 caliber, overall shorter length that most 30-30s. I just can't bring myself to drill and tap it anywhere for a scope.

Charlie Chaplin was a corporal?

The Marsh Gorilla and Datilite like this.
  9. Andy the Aussie

...... no such thing as overkill !!!! If you are trying to make anything dead ....deader is better...... !!!! :D

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  10. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

11. jeeter

jeeter Member

[QUOTE="KMCMICHAEL]I would not touch that Mauser.[/QUOTE]​

Definitely not touching it. It's a M91 carbine that already had the stock sporterized (cut shorter) when I bought it. I wouldn't have normally bought a modified milsurp rifle, but the deal was too good to pass up. After I refinished the already modded stock and added the upper handguard, it's my favorite deer rifle. Compact and accurate.

mauser.jpg

12. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Excuse me while I necro this fine thread for selfish purposes. If anyone gets a lead on a Mossberg MVP Scout please let me know. I'm down to pay for a transfer from any willing dealer.

The Marsh Gorilla and TerryD like this.