ESEE vs HEST

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Boots, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Boots

Boots Member

Out of curiosity I went to the HEST site. It looks like they are trying to make their knives like my Swiss army knife . Their warranty looks like it is set up to find an excuse to deny coverage. I have good knives from other manufactures but none with the same warranty as ESEE. I am looking forward to getting my Christmas present [ESEE4].

2. Donkey

Donkey Member

I looked outside...its cloudy and dark.

3. .357 mag

.357 mag Member

Meh.. I'll be the first to say if you need the ESEE warranty than you did something stupid or just being stupid. Use the knife for what it's intended for and you will be fine.

4. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

I love my Hest Original and have carried one everyday since they came out. Perfect in every way for me. But that is just my opion. The warranty is basically the same as you get from ESEE. The two companies are very much alike on how they treat their customers. Either way you can not go wrong, and if you think you did try to sell or trade on here. If its a original Hest I will probably buy it off you if you are not happy, can always use a fourth one lol.

Flex and JAD like this.
  5. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

6. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

Hey Bravo how you been.

7. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

I been great brother! I was wondering where you have been at!

8. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

Life buddy gets in the way of fun at a times lol. We just bought some land in the hills and built a small cabin on it. Going to be our retirement place or our hide away lol.

9. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

Hey Bill it is nice to hear from ya and the cabin sounds like a great retirement plan.

Wildbill247365 likes this.
  10. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

I like my HEST also, it is part of my EDC rotation.
    [​IMG]

Tibo and Wildbill247365 like this.
  11. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

I didn't know DPX made tan knives?

12. Boots

Boots Member

I am sure HEST makes a good/great knife. My observation was based on the what looks like the extra stuff on the blade of the HEST. It might work and be worthwhile. At this point I do not have either but am looking at getting a 4 or 3. When I looked at the warranty page it seemed they wanted a lot of information. I have knives from Benchmade, Randall, Gerber, Cold Steel, Spyderco and some that have gone our of business. I like something about most of them but I want an every day knife that will serve here on the farm , when hunting and when camping with the children and grandchildren [guess I just want another knife + shotgun + revolver + pistol & rifle: the knife I can afford].

13. elgatoloco

elgatoloco Member

I put all my knives in a drawer, never take them outside, never had issues with warranty.

Flex, Strigidae and Reno Lewis like this.
  14. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I'm pretty sure RYP would warranty a damaged Hest. I love mine. My wife got me a rowen made Hest original for my 30th birthday. Almost three years later I can say it's one of my top three favorite fixed blades. Btw, only one of my top three is an Esee so I'm not the huge fanboy I once was.

I spent almost an hour talking to Pelton at blade show this year. He's an awesome guy.

15. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

I am confused then, because the Hest will fill all those needs just like just about any knife out there lol. The warranty is the same as any knife maker, and they are great people at DPX. The only extras are a bottle opener that works great and the pry bar that has saved so much wear and tear on the blade. Used it from opening paint cans to prying open ammo cans, to prying off hub caps.even lifting pots off the camp fire. Think that covers most of your uses lol. If you did not know before I am a huge fan of the Hest original and DPX. As well as ESEE.

16. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

The original HEST is a favorite of mine. Solid user. Having such a thick blade at that length just makes it feel like a tank.

I've gone from splitting 4' long cedar planks with it (among other fire craft) to cutting up onions and peppers in the kitchen in the same night.

Lightweight, compact, bombproof tank which actually functions like a knife. Sorta.

17. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

They also have a OD version that's pretty sweet also.

18. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

I don't think I've seen either color before, until now.

19. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

That's how I ended up with 5 of them lol. Hope they stopped with the color options now lol.

20. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

I like the OD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]