Anyone have surgery for a deviated septum?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael W., Nov 23, 2022.

1. Michael W.

Michael W. Member

I’m pretty sure I have a deviated septum and think that might be part of my problem with my lack of energy even after being on a CPAP machine for a couple months.

I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow and I will bring all that up, but I wanted to see if anyone here has had surgery for it and how did it go? I’m kind of scared of having it done.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  2. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Michael W.
    I have 1 FM who constantly had sinus infections for many years. He finally had his deviated septum fixed and has not had one since.

I have another FM who had a Really Bad deviated septum and had it fixed.
    She said she never knew she could have more air through her nose and highly recommends it.

Moral of the story you could greatly benefit if the deviation is bad enough.

You will look and feel like you were badly beaten after having the surgery. BUT it clears up fast.

The Marsh Gorilla and Michael W. like this.
  3. Michael W.

Michael W. Member

Thank you for the info :)

4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Yes, mine was repaired as part of a larger repair job. Didn’t realise what an issue it had been till fixed.

5. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Had mine fixed when I was in high school, it definitely helped with my breathing.

Michael W. and Zeek like this.
  6. Michael W.

Michael W. Member

Well I got back from the doctor a little while ago.

He said I do have a deviated septum and I also have swollen polyps? I think that’s what they were called.

He said to try Flonase first before doing surgery because it’s supposed to shrink those and help me breath better.

7. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

Good luck with flonase, but read the side effects. I tried some of those nasal steroids and started to experience loss of smell. I stopped them. Not sure if it ever came back 100%

8. Andy the Aussie

The rest of the surgery I had was to repair the damage from nasal steroids....

The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  9. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Just my opinion…

*edited

Long story short, I would want to know what is causing the swollen polyps before I tried medicine.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  10. Michael W.

Michael W. Member

It wasn’t caused by the CPAP. And I should have asked him what would cause them but I didn’t think about that at the time. I will ask him after my blood test comes back.

11. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Even those breathe right strips help me so much

12. jafo

jafo Member

i had my septum repaied 10 years and a revision to that surgery a few years ago.

Its great and if your doctor is suggesting flonase then get a new doctor those aren't comparable treatments in any regard.

Other things you can do to help sleep. Get an inclining bed and sleep on an incline. Try the sinus strips. take a 12 hour allegra D 1 hour before bed.

Are you sure he said polyps and not turbinates? Its pretty common to get your turbinates burned off when getting the surgery. Definitely worth doing imho

13. Michael W.

Michael W. Member

I could have sworn he said polyps cus they were swollen, and that’s why he told me to use Flonase so it would shrink them.

How was the surgery to repair your septum? I assume they put you out completely? And how painful was the recovery, also I heard you end up with bad bruising for awhile after?

14. Andy the Aussie

I was under general anesthetiser but with some additional surgery for damage. It’s hard to say what the recover for just the deviated septum was given the rest. They normally put in a pair of plastic splits that remain for a week after. They are uncomfortable but I didn’t find any of it too painful. You WILL be looking forward to the splints coming out. Given the amount of work I had there was very little discernible bruising. There was some swelling evident but again I had extra work. I think you need a second opinion if you are unsure of what the current recommendation is for and if appropriate. You WILL notice a great improvement in comfort and breathing !

The Marsh Gorilla and Michael W. like this.
  15. jafo

jafo Member

thought i replied to this before. They will put you out. Its done outpatient. The surgery isnt a big deal.

The recovery on the other hand is tough. They place a stent in your nose for several days an it will invariably clog. Breathing is tough to impossible but when they pull that stent out... its the best feeling in the world. You'll remember it your whole life