Help with winter boots

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Black Train, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Boots

Boots Member

I am old fashion, I hunt with an old SxS and hunt in 16" LL Bean uninsulated boots. When it get cold I wear 2 pairs of wool socks. Like shotguns I have many pairs of boots but the tall Bean boots are my favorite. If I go to town with my pants tucked into the boots people notice but I really do not care.

Black Train and JMJ like this.
  2. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

These hipsters arent going to win-i found a pair of ll bean insulated boots they had in stock. Hopefully they fit. Thats the hard part ordering ll bean boots-their crazy fit.

Im making america great again. One pair of boots at a time

3. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

IMG_1006.JPG I am contemplating getting some winter boots. I seem to get in more of a hurry when shoveling the driveway every year.

Slade and Black Train like this.
  4. Expat

^ I've actually done that!

JMJ and KMCMICHAEL like this.
  5. Black Train

Black Train Member

Why bother?

KMCMICHAEL likes this.
  6. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Being in the snow barefoot is all fun and games until the soles of your feet crack. I do not know why snow dries ones skin to that extent.

7. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I spoke with some of my quacker crazed friends who spend time standing in 10-12 inches of slushy muddy water in winter and they swear that LaCrosse Burleys are like heaven in fit and function and so common in fall/winter that no one would even blink if you wore them to a school board meeting.

JMJ and Black Train like this.
  8. Rich275

Rich275 Member

9. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

I can attest that this is a fact!

JMJ likes this.
  10. Slade

Slade Member

I recently picked up a pair of Frye Warren Duck Engineer Boots right off of their website for a great price. They are also waterproof duck boots, but made of all leather and real shearling lined. Just got them this year but I have to say they're awesome. Retail is about $400, they go on eBay for over $650 but you can get them right from frye for $204 shipped with the $25 off code they will send an email address for signing up for promotional emails. I like the look and feel a lot and they're nice and warm. Hand made in Mexico, but there are some really good leather boots from south of the border if you look in the right place. Definitely capable of bein worn in town. If you do get a pair, order half a size larger than normal for the shearling lining.

http://www.thefryecompany.com/warren-duck-engineer-shearling/d/87136

They have free returns for unworn shoes so you can try them on risk free. Even though these are made in Mexico, they also have some made in the Arkansas. Also, check the gear deals thread for a great deal on darn tough socks.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    Black Train likes this.
  11. Klutz

Klutz Member

LL Bean boots have a lifetime warranty and are made in the USA, at least I hope they still are. I have had very old worn boots replaced with brand new ones with no hassle at all.

12. Slade

Slade Member

I've heard great things about the bean boots. They are still made 100% in the USA. They were the original duck boots and the item the LL Bean company was founded on. I think it's pretty awesome that they still stick to their 100% satisfaction guarantee and it is a good indicator that their products and those they choose to sell are made to last. Even though you could use it as a lifetime warranty on a product not meant to last a lifetime, that is not the goal and I wouldn't feel right about taking advantage of the system.

Their 100% Satisfaction Guarentee "We make pieces that last, and if they don’t, we want to know about it. L.L. himself always said that he “didn’t consider a sale complete until goods are worn out and the customer still satisfied.” Our guarantee is a handshake – a promise that we’ll be fair to each other. So if something’s not working or fitting or standing up to its task or lasting as long as you think it should, we’ll take it back. We want to make sure we keep our guarantee the way it’s always been for over a century."

Don't take advantage of the most honest policy I know of in retail by being dishonest. Buy the boots because they will last a long time, and when you finally wear them out after they have served you for a long time, support the company and buy another pair. If a product fails you unfairly, by all means, allow them to make it right.

Klutz, Black Train and JMJ like this.
  13. Klutz

Klutz Member

Well written and I agree. The stitching came apart on my old boots and it looked like an easy fix. The intent was to send them out for repair and I would pay. They replaced them and informed me of their policy. They get plenty of business from my family ever since. They are a class act company that I do not want to see vanish.

JMJ and Slade like this.
  14. Black Train

Black Train Member

Slade likes this.
  15. Klutz

Klutz Member

IMG_0971.JPG IMG_0970.JPG May they serve you well. I'm currently at the LL Bean flagship store in Freeport, ME. Here's a pic of their original boots on display.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Slade likes this.
  16. Expat

Those are the exact ones i bought after seeing your thread. Look in the thread i started for a pic of them. Got them in yesterday. They fit great. I normally wear a 9.5 or 10 Wide. I got a 9W and they feel great. Wearing them deer hunting tomorrow.

17. Stone

Stone Member

Hmmm. We've got a couple of threads related to winter boots, so I'll join both. (The other is about Muck boots, which for me are my winter boots -- Muckboot Arctic Sport. Good but not great. In the top three boots I've owned. Other two pair were top flight mountaineering boots. (Not just backpacking, but full on mountaineering suitable for climbing, ice work with crampons, etc.) My Muckboots Arctic Sport are claimed to be good to around -10F or more, but I call BS. Maybe for an hour or two, but not for a half day of walking in snow in single digits, let alone negative.

I'll read up in this thread -- just found it, haven't parsed it yet.

For now, here's my current top pick. I'll get a pair as soon as Expat loans me the cash. Check's in the mail, right? :confused:

[​IMG]

18. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

I'm on my second pair of Keen Summit County boots. Best I have ever owned.

19. Expat

I think I moght prefer frostbite to being seen in those.

20. Stone

Stone Member

Perhaps you'd prefer hipster black.
    Much easier to find in the snow in the morning.

Rumor has it they come with a cleaver for game dismemberment.

[​IMG]