Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. TerryD

TerryD Member

Almost there.

received_1520298608401811.jpeg

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I'm always stunned by people that drive their low sitting cars 60 klicks down an active logging haul road, then wonder why they bottom out, or lose traction, or get hit by 75 tonne logging trucks.

then there is the people, notably younger women, that put their legs out the windows of their cars while in the passenger seat. Then they cry when they lose their legs during an accident. I want to have some empathy / compassion, but there is none.

Twoody88, Drew RedBear and TerryD like this.
  3. TerryD

TerryD Member

A couple years ago the middle daughter and I went down to Linville Gorge for the weekend. We encountered some kind of BMW sedan bottomed out with two very confused and concerned looking ladies standing next to it.

They said they had help on the way so we headed on. I just laughed when we came around the curve and saw it all hemmed up.

Drew RedBear, Bushman5 and Twoody88 like this.
  4. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Got bit by this thing. Put my slippers on to go outside and as soon as I got out there.. He was about the size of a half dollar too, but luckily they're harmless. My roommate wanted to kill it but eh, just it's nature. 20220801_171910.jpg

Skip808, Bushman5 and Strigidae like this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

dip in batter / spices and fry that baby up! :p

Drew RedBear likes this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Guess I triggered the millennial snowflakes on Friday night. It was 2200 hours, 38 deg C here in Vancouver. I got out the garden hose and sprayer, and wet down the building exterior, roof, trees, shrubs and flower beds. Cooled down the entire area very nicely.

but then the SHTF.
    Triggered millennial strata council Gestap* got all angry with me, as did another strata council member. Apparently rain falling on the earth is ok, but using a hose to water the property is noisy and upsetting to them.Never mind that BC is in a heat wave alert, and that we have seniors without AC in our very hot building. No, it's all about the triggered millennials feelings.....

Not only did they call my elderly mother to complain, they called Vancouver Police and accused me of vandalizing the property

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    TerryD and Drew RedBear like this.
  7. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I officially have the dumbest or smartest dog ever…. I am not sure which…

Whenever she does something she knows she isn’t supposed to… She likes to hide in the bathtub..

Not just sit in the bathtub. We are talking full laying down hiding behind the edge. She even does it if the shower curtain is closed… Even if it’s fully dark..

If we find her there we know that something is likely destroyed or missing. And or if we realize something is destroyed or missing we know we’re to find her…

I just don’t know some days….

ASH, Twoody88, Bushman5 and 3 others like this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

but do you have a Derp Dog like my Bro @Twoody88 ???? :D

C82B96A9-A307-4F3A-8610-9557FE7DA114.jpeg

Skip808 and TerryD like this.
  9. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

A once savage beast.. now toothless in his old age 20220620_185128.jpg

TerryD, Strigidae and Bushman5 like this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Anybody know anything about this knife maker? There is one for sale locally and I'm tempted....

1950's Robert Klaas Solingen Germany Kissing Cranes Stag Handle Carbon Steel Woodcraft Design Skinning Hunting Sheath Knife

76133328-CF11-4444-A9DF-4D6C0DDF5F49.jpeg 26B1A1F6-F7BB-4E16-8EE4-1875E66D3F9A.jpeg 8BB08167-856E-46AC-B9B2-DC0F859F2D3F.jpeg B34BD96E-412A-4425-A694-43F208F1C5CD.jpeg 49C7CAA1-5406-4B9E-A2E9-55846E7965B6.jpeg 728D8773-B578-4036-8684-3C875A6EA391.jpeg

Skip808 and RocketmanDane like this.
  11. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

that looks like the same type of stag, spacers, and thin brass guard that was on a Solingen Germany “original Bowie” my Dad got in the very late 50’s or early 60’s. It’s good steel, takes a keen edge even now. But not a hard use knife by how we judge them today. The stag can turn on the tang and time can loosen the whole construction assembly.
    Dads knife whittled things, cut mounds of tinder shaving, cleaned a gazillion fish and game animals, but as made we would destroy it using it like a standard 1095 Esee.

Bushman5 likes this.
  12. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Bushman5
    I am 99% sure I have the same branded knife tucked away in a box somewhere. G00gled photo below for example.

I would have to agree with @anrkst6973 on quality of blade. I personally really like it.

If you are looking for originality / value the Biggest thing I would ask is to see the very end of the handle. At least on mine the butt / the very end silver piece of the handle acts like a nut to keep the rest of the handle in place.

They are Supposed to have similar to a plug in the end cap that covers the threading.

If you don’t buy it for value Even if the small plug is not present.. You could easily fashion a new one and glue in place.

[​IMG]

Bushman5 likes this.
  13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Thanks Esee Crew, I'm going to snag it if I can

14. Sean

Sean Member

Beautiful !!! I have one exactly like that one!!! My grandfather picked it up when he was a merchant marine sailor, 40's or 50's sometime. These things get razor sharp!!!!!

Bushman5 and RocketmanDane like this.
  15. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Went and got mine out. It’s not a user anymore, a keepsake.
    01F0EA6C-F03D-4E1A-B9AF-01D8C6023B21.jpeg
    this one was well used even when I was young..

6F02321B-0928-416D-BC44-35494368C1B7.jpeg
    Im not sure but I think a lot of companies used similar assembly pieces to make these back then.

1806B88D-46E0-4B8B-A5C4-6F88DA41085D.jpeg
    The pommel nut Sean mentioned. I remember my Dad taking this apart in the late 70’s to replace washers and tighten the assembly back up. In my mind eye it’s made a lot like the military “bolt knives” with a stick tang and threaded pommel but don’t quote me…that was a long time ago!

Bushman5 likes this.
  16. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Went and got mine out. It’s not a user anymore, a keepsake.
    View attachment 71635
    this one was well used even when I was young..

View attachment 71636
    Im not sure but I think a lot of companies used similar assembly pieces to make these back then.

View attachment 71637
    The pommel nut Sean mentioned. I remember my Dad taking this apart in the late 70’s to replace washers and tighten the assembly back up. In my mind eye it’s made a lot like the military “bolt knives” with a stick tang and threaded pommel but don’t quote me…that was a long time ago!

Bushman5 likes this.
  17. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Bushman5 likes this.
  18. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Currently under a tornado warning Screenshot_20220808-192852_Chrome.jpg

Bushman5 likes this.
  19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I wouldn't use it like our regular knives, I'd strop it scalping sharp and use it for collecting scalps :p

anrkst6973 likes this.
  20. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Bushman5
    I dug mine out and it looks like I have a similar knife by a different maker.

I did a little research and apparently Solingen, Germany's was known as the "City of Blades". in the early 1900's they were a world leading location in knife production. During the 2 World Wars most knife company's were forced to make knives for the military but resumed production just after.

After WW2 Germany very quickly retooled the machines in Solingen to produce "souvenir knives" for the British and USA soldiers occupying the city to try and make money for rebuilding.

My knife for example was bought by a WW2 Veteran friend of mine while he was serving in Germany after the war. When he passed away about 10 years ago he left it for me.

There is actually a bunch of cool history that I was reading through. Due to the scarcity of materials at the time you can apparently find a lot of weird features on some of the knives from that time. For example on mine the silver colored handle piece is some sort of actual silver. Additionally the "accent" pieces between the leather washers appears to be *Antler or bone* . Not plastic or different colored leather.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    Skip808, Sean, Bushman5 and 1 other person like this.