April Trip....

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by Andy the Aussie, May 6, 2022.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Got home last weekend after another great week away, nominally hunting but in all honestly more a case of being anywhere but at work. The weather is just turning cold now so it is MUCH nicer being there than it is in Jan/Feb. I was about a week late for the Black Fallow Rut/Red Deer Roar though the odd Red was still making himself known.

Lots of this….

[​IMG]

Beside this…

[​IMG]

So the hunting was still good, I will lead out saying I fired three shots all week and as such they can no longer tell that nursery rhyme “The Three Little Pigs”…however I did see a bunch of deer. I have zero room for anymore venison at home so I didn’t take any for meat, one of the friends who was also up that week took five Black Fallow does. Next trip (June) I will end up eating what he turns some of them into…!!!!

Black Fallow Spiker (nubs anyway)….

[​IMG]

Black Fallow Doe…

[​IMG]

Pig Wallow….

[​IMG]

Trees just near the wallow where a bunch of hogs have been rubbing that wonderful mud in…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(if you look back at the thread on my last trip here you can see the little mud caked boar I shot then, he was taken about 100m above this spot).

ASH and Strigidae like this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

Talking of hogs, two of the three….

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

….small boar and sow, the third went in the gully below these and I was too lazy to walk down there.

Across the valley from our hut, nature saying “don’t even think about hunting up in here”….

[​IMG]

Me ignoring nature….

[​IMG]

Forgot to tape up my barrel so needed to make do as it started to rain…

[​IMG]

Well worth the weather though, came across a nice Red Deer Pad and Rub….

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DiscoveryLover and Strigidae like this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Didn’t see any Reds that evening so I went back up in there the following day, the weather was actually worse…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

…..however seeing a group of 20 Red Deer including 4 stags (one young 12point head, one very young 6 pointer and two first year heads)…made it worth it.

Only kind of pic of the Reds I managed...

[​IMG]

….not long after the rain got heavier and I made my way back down to the hut….wet but worth it !!!

My Lowa boots…..

[​IMG]

….these things are great (@Strigidae - this is how they should look) !!!!

And with that the weather set in and it remained cool, that meant we needed to stay in, eat, drink and burn some of the two tonnes (no exaggeration) of wood we cut !!!!

This trip reminded me of one thing, I have gotten really lazy with my photography !! There were some great pics to be had but I have started to rely too much on the convenience of the camera in the phone and not on either of the other good cameras that are with me, this is going to change next trip !!!!!!

anomad and Strigidae like this.