Farming, Gardening & Homesteading

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Delkancott, Dec 1, 2016.

1. ASH

ASH Member

That's surprising to me, I would think that the seeds would match the apple that they came from. I would have thought they would match the apple variety, but wouldn't have the hardier rootstock of a grafted tree. These apples were all different varieties to start with and I mixed them all together, so I don't know what is what anyway.

Strigidae likes this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Me too Ash but plants have never made sense to me.

ASH likes this.
  3. ASH

ASH Member

I was just discussing it with one of my coworkers, he said it's like a pecan tree. No matter what kind of pecan you plant, it will grow a seedling.

4. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

The amount of trees that are grafted like this is pretty incredible.

Not just fruit or nut bearing trees either.
    There are many “ornamental” trees done this way also.

We had some apples for sale last fall that were six different varieties on one tree.
    Was “espalier” style, so grown flat on a trellis with six branches going outward. Three on each side.
    Each individual branch was a different type of apple.

Delkancott and Strigidae like this.
  5. Strigidae

I think i understand. The tree may be a certain type but the apple may be different and therefore if you are expecting tree apples you may get grafted apples. Is that right?

6. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Wouldn’t the apple grow whatever “tree” it was from? A cortland apple on a cortland branch will bear a cortland seed? Now I understand that the rootstock may be from a Braeburn, but that wouldn’t alter the make up of the grafted “tree” correct? But your child cortland will have weak legs as compared to its parent’s.

ETA: To me this is much clearer than hybrid vegetables as they are intentionally cross pollinated to produce a specific offspring, but I believe those offspring return one or the other of the parents, not just the one that produced the fruit. They aren’t sterile like a mule, but they won’t replicate their complete DNA when they produce the next generation. But I could be way off.

Strigidae likes this.
  7. ASH

ASH Member

I'm not sure what you mean, but I think the example above is 6 different varieties grafted to one trunk. I think they even do it with different fruits, so you can get multiple types of fruit on one tree.

OKcherokee likes this.
  8. ASH

ASH Member

That's what I thought would happen but apparently it basically grows a wild apple and not a specific variety.

Strigidae likes this.
  9. Strigidae

Ill just buy apples.

HA HA HA!

10. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

So when they grow say a yellow delicious apple tree they have a “rootstock” that is some generic apple tree with a known vigorous root system.
    They them either bud or graft a cutting from the actual yellow delicious apple tree to these roots.

So this tree is now known as a yellow delicious. They are basically cloning it.

But the seeds from these yellow delicious apples will not make actual yellow delicious apples. They may be close, but won’t be exact.

This part is where I get lost, exactly why this is.
    I do know that fruit trees need pollinator trees nearby. So I’m not sure if because pollen from some other variety is introduced to this one then you get a cross in the seeds, not sure.
    I know there are some apple trees that compliment one another as far as pollination goes, and you usually want a variety of types in order to get good pollination and better yielding crops.

Delkancott, ASH and Strigidae like this.
  11. Strigidae

How interesting!!!

12. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

We were finally down to 10 ducks and 10 chickens in brooders in our kitchen.

BUT with the temps dipping into the mid 20’s the next couple of nights we decided to bring our 10 Guinea fowl inside to be safe…

I’m not sure anyone is getting any sleep the next few days… 10 two month old Guinea fowl trapped in a dog kennel are LOUD… Really Really LOUD…

Bushman5, ASH and Delkancott like this.
  13. ASH

ASH Member

I wanted to get guineas but she was scared they would spook the horses.

That reminds me, we need a new donkey. We were planning to get another one about the time covid hit and haven't done it.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  14. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@ASH
    The guineas aren’t to bad if you have some room for them to roam. You wouldn’t really know they were around until they get startled.

ASH likes this.
  15. ASH

ASH Member

She has a horseback riding business on the property. Our trails are wooded and we are worried that the horses might startle the guineas and they would spook the horses. Then someone might get thrown off.

16. ASH

ASH Member

Our first hatch is going well, it looks like I had 1 egg out of 12 that didn't fully develop. We have 8 hatched, One peeping out through a hole and 2 that I hear chirping in the shell. Tomorrow is actually day 21.

anomad, RocketmanDane and Strigidae like this.
  17. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

We had intended to keep our Coop and Run about half the current size and letting some of our birds free range.. But due critters killing / eating probably 60 plus of our neighbors birds (3 total neighbors)… SO We added a extension today..

[​IMG]

Strigidae and DiscoveryLover like this.
  18. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Are those Guinea fowl?

ETA: I’m not sure what animals your neighbors have lost but Guinea fowl should be pretty adept at evading predators. They are much faster and much better flyers than chickens. I believe they also roost high up in trees which chickens don’t.

19. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Delkancott
    Yes I have 9 Guineas but I’m far less worried about them.
    The neighbors have been loosing more and more ducks and chickens.

I personally think that multiple different critters are killing them. Including even in the coops at night. Ive got most of the coop/ run overbuilt to provide extra protection so we are crossing our fingers.

20. ASH

ASH Member

My setup is similar to yours, except I don't have an enclosed coop. We stopped letting our chickens free range because of predators. That's one of the reasons I bought an incubator. I want to get back to free range, I plan to start a second flock.