CUBS WIN !!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AddictedToSteel, Nov 3, 2016.

1. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Full disclosure, I don't really care about sports, but the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series for the first time in over 100 years is a great story and the way the series played out just seems so appropriate.

It goes like this:

Cubs and Indians meet for the World Series. Cubs haven't won in over 100 years and Cleveland hasn't won in 70 years.

Cleveland has home field so they will play 2 games in Cleveland, then 3 in Chicago, and the final 2 back in Cleveland, provided they need more than 4 games to decide this thing.

After the first two games the series stands at 1-1. On to Chicago.

Cleveland wins the first two games at Wrigley Field takes a 3 games to 1 lead in the series. Cubbies need to step up.

Chicago keeps the series alive by winning game 5 in Wrigley, taking them back to Cleveland with Cleveland still leading 3 games to 2.

Chicago wins game 6, forcing a game seven with the series tied at 3 games each.

After everything, it now comes down to a single game.

Game 7 starts and the Cubs take a good lead of 5 runs to 1 in the fifth inning. Cleveland comes back to tie it up at 6 runs each in the 8th inning, after some questionable managing decisions on Chicago's part.

Rain starts to fall, but they play through it and it remains a tie ball game at the end of the 9th inning. Going into extra innings.

Before the 10th inning can start, out comes the tarp and we have a rain delay.

After everything, it now comes down a single inning. However many extra innings it takes, if either team has a lead at the end of an inning, then the game is over. Closest thing to sudden death that baseball has.

After a 17 minute rain delay, inning number 10 of game 7 begins.

Top of the 10th and Chicago scores a run, then another run. It could have been worse. When the third out comes, the Cubs have bases loaded. Score is now 8 to 6, Cubs leading.

Cleveland comes up to bat and scores a run. Score is now 8 to 7 Cubs.

Cleveland can't get another, leaving a man on base.

The game ends and the Chicago Cubs have won the World Series.

Like I said up front, I don't really care, but this is a great story and the torturous path this World Series took to it's conclusion, seems appropriate considering the teams playing and the number of years each spent in the wilderness trying to get there.

Cleveland Indians? Well fought. You have nothing to hang your head over.

Chicago Cubs? WOW! Down 3 games to 1 and coming back to win by one run in an extra innings game 7. It doesn't get any better than this. Well done.

OutdoorsFamilyMan likes this.
  2. longbow2240

longbow2240 Member

I'm not a sports fan at all! But congrats is in order. They deserve it!!!

3. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Yeah, that rain delay before the tenth inning was surreal. It was already after 11:00pm, everyone was tired and stressed out. That delay may turn out to be the rest that Chicago needed after giving up a four run lead allowing the Indians to knot it up at 6 runs apiece. They were able to gather themselves and score a pair of runs in the top of the tenth.

4. indulf

indulf Member

un freaking believable. i was an absolute wreck last night.

fly the W!!!

.357 mag likes this.
  5. Rich275

Rich275 Member

Haven't followed baseball in years, but I am from Chicago and my dog is named Wrigley!!! Go Cubs GO!!!

6. trench

trench Member

Aside from growing up a die hard blue bleeding cub fan, I am good friends with the wrigley field grounds crew managers and have worked a lot with them over the last 6 years or so. The amount of work and load of stress they have been under the last two months has been unbearable to watch...I am so happy for them and their organization. It really was well earned

7. Nether

Nether Member

Conor could kick all their asses. Just sayin....

8. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I'm a Tigers fan through and through but since I live in Ohio,I was rooting for The Tribe. On paper this series shouldnt have been this close...The Cubs have a far more talented team (again on paper and paper isnt everything). What the Indians lacked in talent they more than made up for it in management . Terry Francona is by far one of the best managers in the history of the game. He knows baseball. This made for a very even matchup and in my opinion it all came down to one thing....THE RAIN DELAY....
    The tribe had just pulled off an amazing comeback. Rajai Davis hits a homerun to tie it up...and off of Aroldis Chapman no less (arguably one of the best closers and factually the fastest of today). The Indians were fully charged with momentum and the Cubs had lost the wind in their sales. BUT THE RAIN DELAY CHANGED EVERYTHING...Jason Hayword of the Cubs calls a team meeting and fires them up,meanwhile the Indians'momentum cools off during that 17 minutes. If that rain delay hadnt happened I think the outcome might have been different.

But it didnt and I was glad to see that the Cubs 100+ year drought was finally over.....even if they are from Chicago:D