THE CORE FIVE. . .making the Gibson Ulu!

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by WOODSDEVIL, Feb 5, 2022.

1. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

I really enjoy AMERICAN FRONTIERSMAN magazine. I love the mix of history, Frontier skills, and modern skills. So, I was very pleased read the excellent article by Craig Haney entitled, THE CORE FIVE, which is a discussion with James Gibson about the critical skills anyone going outdoors should possess.

DSCN0388.JPG

I also believe that it is not enough to simply *read* articles, but that it is advisable to perform and learn those skills. . . this is how we learn [EDIP - Explain, demonstrate, Imitate, Practice]. I was interested in the photograph of the tin can Ulu knife and decided to try my hand at making one. . .or two! I crafted a Gibson Primitive Ulu and also a Hoko-style knife.

DSCN0387.JPG

Fortunately, our recycle bin always has bean cans, so I had access to material, and sticks are abundant on the local trails. But what did I learn?

1.) A green sapling is probably easier to process/split into a handle/carve notches, than seasoned wood. A softwood would be a good choice.

2.) Military grade 550 paracord inner strand is the only way to go. But natural cordage coated with pine resin will suffice for binding the split stick-handle.

3.) Wood processing is not the way to go. The can lid goes dull FAST. Have a sharpening stone handy and plan on using it a lot, both to sharpen and hammer the soft tin can blade back into shape - it will bend often. I tried making shavings and it was tough work.

4.) Cutting meat, cleaning fish, or light cordage is probably this tool's specialty.

5.) Cannot reliably spark a ferro rod. Have a sharp rock handy or a scraper attached to your ferro rod.

6.) To quote Mr. Gibson , "I always carry three knives. . .Two is one and one is none." Have a knife! You don't want to go down the tin can path unless you have to!

DSCN0385.JPG

Anyway, a fun afternoon learning, huge thanks to Mr. Gibson for sharing his knowledge.!

- - W D - -

Strigidae, DYSPHORIC JOY and Bozho like this.
  2. Bozho

Bozho Member

Very nice! Now I want even more to read that magazine!

WOODSDEVIL likes this.
  3. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

It's a good one! Stay healthy & well my brother!

Bozho likes this.
  4. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

Vid on the project:

CWB and Bozho like this.
  5. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

My son was just watching this a few minutes ago. Cool video.

6. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

Glad you enjoyed it. It was a very fun experiment!

7. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

Ah, okay I have seen his channel. That young man is on FIRE for outdoor skills. Does a great job on his vids. I suspect he might even end up a SERE Instructor someday. You have a fine young man there Dad - good job!

Strigidae likes this.
  8. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Thank you.

Strigidae likes this.