Visiting "The Indians"

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by WOODSDEVIL, Jan 29, 2022.

1. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

Last weekend [1/21-23/2022] I went on a little road trip and visited a place called "The Indians" which is near Fort Hunter-Liggett in Monterey California. It's the ancestral home of the Salinan Indians [ The people's own name for themselves is the "Te'po'ta'ahl" or "People of the Oaks"]. Stopped off at Mission San Antonio, which was built by the Salinan's, converted by the Spanish. They have a nice museum with a lot of artifacts to view:

DSCN0277.JPG DSCN0279.JPG DSCN0282.JPG DSCN0293.JPG

Later I went on to the campground [you can also disperse camp] in the Los Padres National Forest and then went exploring the huge stone monoliths that the Indians lived around. GPS coord's - N 36 07' 07.13", W121 28' 00.32" :

DSCF0013.JPG DSCF0014.JPG DSCF0017.JPG DSCN0322.JPG

I tent camped. It hit 34F inside the tent, and my wash bucket was froe the next morning, so it was probably a little colder outside.

0122221852.jpg DSCN0305.JPG DSCN0306.JPG DSCN0302.JPG

Just a short trip, but great fun!

- - WD - -

2. Bozho

Bozho Member

Seems like an amazing place to explore!
    And I would love to read that magazine.

WOODSDEVIL likes this.
  3. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

It is a fascinating place. I only explored a small portion of it and was exhausted. I believe it's a 10K acre preserve. Yes, I love that magazine. It's a great mix of historic articles and modern skills and tools. I highly recommend it!

Bozho likes this.
  4. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Looks like a fun place to explore! Thanks for sharing.

WOODSDEVIL likes this.