Knife Pass Around

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Mythical_Beast, Jan 15, 2021.

1. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

2. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

20211227_113625.jpg 20211227_113605.jpg here's my woman's MBF camp blade Darren made way to long ago. Hopefully she's feeling well enough to get out with me this year and put it through its paces !!

3. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

So got the knife yesterday and it's a beaut, comfy and really sharp. I'll probably start putting it through its paces tomorrow.

Also, what was the time frame before shipping it to the next person? 20220204_181446.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  4. Mythical_Beast

Mythical_Beast Member

2-3weeks work? If someone needs a little longer just keep it reasonable and let everyone know.

Thanks

Skip808, Twoody88 and Drew RedBear like this.
  5. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Yeah that'll work. I thought it was 2 weeks but wanted to be sure. Thanks

Skip808, Mythical_Beast and Twoody88 like this.
  6. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to get out to my spot today so indoors it was. Started with this big piece of firewood that's hard as hell but no issues getting through it, even through the knot. And not sure if it's the grind or the wood or more than likely my feather stick inability but the feathers weren't the best. I think with a softer wood they'd be easier. Even after the wood stuff it still sliced pretty good, even the paper but it didn't like the cardboard at all. As for comfort, holding it its fine but the choil is a little sharp and there's a part at the front of the handle that sticks out a little and isn't the most comfortable but not a total discomfort either, I do have big hands and fingers also. I did get permission from Darren to modify it but I'm just going to leave it alone. I might send it off early since I'm not sure when I'll be able to get out, but I do want to get a softer piece of wood to try the feathers again. 20220209_161222.jpg 20220209_161931.jpg 20220209_161941.jpg 20220209_162537.jpg 20220209_162634.jpg 20220209_163731.jpg 20220209_163242.jpg

7. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I like the proportions and angles of that blade.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  8. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

It has pretty good balance to it and the handle to blade proportion is on point.

Strigidae likes this.
  9. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

A'ight so who's next in line? I don't see me being able to get out anytime soon so I don't want to have it while someone else can use it. Plus there's only so much you can do inside with it. Pm your address and I'll get it sent back out.

10. theJman

theJman Member

Wasn't there a list created with the order?

11. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Drew RedBear likes this.
  12. Mythical_Beast

Mythical_Beast Member

I’ve been extremely busy lately. It didn’t help that some of the PVTs accused us of mistreating them. The softness is unreal.

There wasn’t much of a list: @FAL'ER @theJman @Strigidae @mwramos76 @Skip808

I think this is everyone that seemed interested. I know @Skip808 was going last. I think the rest of you can probably talk it over ?

Skip808 and Drew RedBear like this.
  13. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Anyone? Or I can send it back to Darren or just keep it :D. Jkjk. Feel bad just having it sit here doing nothing.

14. TerryD

TerryD Member

Ahhh heck, I guess set me up with it. I'll play with it some. How do I get in the running?

Twoody88 and Drew RedBear like this.
  15. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Pm me your addy and I'll get it sent out to ya

TerryD likes this.
  16. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

On the way to Mr. TerryD

TerryD likes this.
  17. TerryD

TerryD Member

Got the knife yesterday and happened to be going out into the woods for the day.

It's a beautiful knife! I really like the over all feel and balance it. And the handle is great.

20220306_103424.jpg

I did some batoning and chopping with it while waiting on my buddy to show up. Just a little piece of green wood that happened to be laying around.

20220305_142258.jpg

20220305_142017.jpg

It batoned and did great with feather sticks! I like the shape and overall feel of the blade a lot.

When chopping though, it was hard to hang on to. I think the pommel swell should be a little larger for a good chopper. The weight of the blade did well though and it powered through easily enough.

20220305_142452.jpg

Overall, I really like the knife! I'm gonna play with it for a few more days and then I'll pass it on. Who's next in line?

18. Mythical_Beast

Mythical_Beast Member

@TerryD and @Drew RedBear thank you both for the reviews so far. Hopefully you enjoyed the time with the Chupacabra. My goal was for it to be an “all purpose field knife,” I try to work designs around use types. Here are a couple of my chopper handles. Let me know if you think the handle should be more like these.

Thanks,
    Darren

Attached Files:

19. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Absolutely enjoyed the time with it and thank you for letting us test it out.
    I think your chopper handles would be a bit much for the size of the chupacabra. Maybe another 1/4" near the pommel would be good though. But it did feel good in the hands as it is.

TerryD and Mythical_Beast like this.
  20. TerryD

TerryD Member

Yes, thanks for the time with it. I agree with Drew on that, those would be almost cumbersome with his well balanced the knife is right now. Just a tad thicker to help it stay put.

Otherwise it was great so don't change too much.

Drew RedBear and Mythical_Beast like this.