Christmas Road Trip Suggestions (help)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DirtySouth, Dec 7, 2021.

1. DirtySouth

DirtySouth Member

Cliff notes: Looking for some suggestions for a 2-3 week road trip to Colorado and back without interstate, some camping mixed in, good eats, sites and scenic roads/towns to enjoy with two teenage daughters.

Right now I am leaning towards traveling west to Texas from North GA, making my way up into New Mexico and then make our way to Denver to pick my wife and youngest one up. After that we will be mobile, moving from place to place checking things out. We are non skiers so we are looking to do some tubing, ski-bikes, dog sledding, sleigh ride and hopefully some snowmobiling. My wife's return flight may be from somewhere other than Denver depending on how much or far we venture out. There will be no camping the week my wife is with us, but heading out and back, I would like to get at least 3-4 days in. Coming back will most likely be a southern route, possibly going as far south as Big Bend NP in TX to show my girls one of my favorite places.

I start my vacation next Wednesday and I don't have to report back to work until the 3rd of January. Having worked my normal 500-600 actual OT hours this year, I'm due for a road trip. Our plan was to do Christmas week in Colorado since my girls wanted to see some snow, and that is the only week of the year that I can get off that aligns with one of my wife's week of vacation.

My 16 year old daughter is a dual enrollment student and she has finals for her college classes this week and is exempt from her High school finals next week. She and I will leave out on Wednesday and head west, while my wife and youngest daughter (13) will fly out to meet us Sunday evening/Monday morning after mandatory cheer practice. Tentatively speaking, we will pick them up in Denver.

Now I have been across country several times, both on motorcycles and in vehicles. Normally I am a 1000 plus mile a day type (did Sacramento to Cartersville in 48 hours), but I'm trying to avoid the interstate and relax the next couple of weeks.

Both daughters and I will take our time making our way back after my wife flies back home the following Sunday (26th). I am looking for some suggestions for good camping areas for my daughter's and I, some sites to see, good eats, and some good roads that will keep us off the interstate.

If anyone has any suggestions for the above in the states of AL, MS, LA, TX, NM, CO and possibly UT, and AZ, please feel free to share.

2. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Ok, all that is a little hard to follow. BUT I might suggest this. I would personally skip AL,MS,LA,TX and make a quick run west on the freeway to hit up the BIG national parks and western attractions. IMO a day or 2 on the main road is way worth it to get out west.

Also with Covid shutdowns i wouldn't take the chance in AL,MS,LA,TX that what you want to do will necessarily be open or events happening. The farther west you get with open spaces and outdoors you really don't have to work about closures.

Western attractions to consider

Roswell (For Fun)
    MOAB
    Grand Canyon
    Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
    Arches National Park
    CanyonLands National Park
    Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
    Mesa Verde National Park
    Chaco Culture National Historical Park
    Yellow stone (if you head north)

If you are picking up in Denver you might look at going north east to the black hills.
    Mount Rushmore
    Custer state park
    Badlands
    Devils tower
    Sturgis

As far as Snow related recreation.. I cannot give you specific details but i have heard that Colorado is supposed to be AMAZING for snow recreation. That is where you might want to focus your snow efforts.