Advanced Bushcraft - October 22-24, 2021

Discussion in 'Randall's Adventure & Training®' started by RickLB, May 19, 2021.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Chris Talley

That sounds about right.

My bet would be the normal class , some SAR folks, Bunch of instructors etc.

I’m still hoping to bag something this week. So I can bring some goodies. Season opens tomorrow!

RickLB and Chris Talley like this.
  2. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

35 Pound box of Obsidian to share!
    I had it shipped to me Flat rate Priority 3 day. The post office said due to weigh shipping it snail mail would have cost over $130!!

Thought of trying to pre flake some BUT I figure I’ll let more experienced hands give it a go first :)

[​IMG]

RickLB, Chris Talley and Strigidae like this.
  3. Chris Talley

Chris Talley Member

Very cool!!!

RickLB likes this.
  4. RickLB

RickLB Member

So this is my wife’s and I first class. What should we bring?
    I do have a skottle that we could bring.

5. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@RickLB

Honestly it is 3 good days of sitting around a campfire and learning $hit!

No pressure, not a whole lot of hurry. There are a bunch of people around to help with anything you might be trying out. Lots of little side projects/ huddles going on. Lots of BS’ing and fish stories, It’s just a good time.

I posted below below what the RAT website says. The only real gear not specifically listed I would try and bring.

1. Ferro Rod
    2. Small hand saw. (Small gardening/ folding type is perfect) if you don’t have one then you can easily borrow one.
    3. Camp chair per person. (There are logs to sit on but a chair would be better) That was a biggie for me. Really made the class comfortable vs sitting on a log all day.
    4. Bug spray
    5. Waterproof hiking boots if you have them. If not a extra pair of shoes and socks. It can be damp in the mornings.
    6. If you have them multiple different knives or other gear to try out bring them. It’s the perfect time to really see what your gear is made of. You might think you have the perfect camp knife for you and learn you have a much better option.
    7. Pair of work gloves. We are likely to be cutting up branches etc.
    8. Sun screen. Will likely spend most of the time outside.
    9. A reusable grocery bag or similar. It makes it easier to carry small projects to and from camp, the classroom and bum camp ( fire pit teaching area)
    10. A small note book and pen and pencil. There is SO MUCH knowledge floating around it’s much better IMO to write it down. This is not a “test” type knowledge. These are some seriously good life facts/ lessons.

The RAT website says:
    Hiking boots (broken in), fixed blade knife with sheath, cap or bandana, small day pack, clothing appropriate for the season, water container, rain gear (jacket or poncho), lunch or snacks easily prepared in the field. Students may camp on the property at no cost, or stay in one of several nearby hotels. Each class is limited to 12 students. This is not a strenuous class and just about anyone can participate, regardless of physical condition.

Chris Talley and RickLB like this.
  6. Chris Talley

Chris Talley Member

I’ll be rolling in around 4 or 5 pm tomorrow. I’ll be camping. Looking forward to meeting y’all!

RickLB and RocketmanDane like this.
  7. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I’ve got the same ETA.
    I am planning to stop at SMKW on the way! Depending on if the 2 hrs of shopping I’ve planned for is enough :) there is apparently a Cast iron store across the street and a bass pro up the road… SO things are subject to change :)

RickLB, Bozho and Chris Talley like this.
  8. RickLB

RickLB Member

We’re hoteling it this time but may drop by after 5 today to meet some of y’all!

Chris Talley likes this.
  9. Chris Talley

Chris Talley Member

What a fantastic weekend! Bummed I had to duck out early… what did I miss? It was great meeting and conversing with everyone, a whole lotta fun practicing and learning new skills, and just being outside! @Jeff Randall, sorry I didn’t get to thank you for having us! Can’t wait to come back again for another experience. Really appreciate R.A.T. and the instructors. Cheers!

RocketmanDane and Strigidae like this.
  10. Patrick Rollins

Patrick Rollins Lead Instructor Staff Member

It was great having you guys as always!

11. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

My hands still hurt from the Fire Competition… BUT I had so much fun!

Thanks again everyone!

Chris Talley likes this.