Looking for advice on handle and knife size

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Canadianknifeguy, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Canadianknifeguy

Canadianknifeguy Member

Looking to get a Esee 3 or 4. The issue is choosing which handle to go with also knife size. I have medium hands I’m wondering which handle is the most comfortable?
    The hm intrigued me as I like the lines and a classic shape but is it more lighter duty rather than a super heavy grip.
    The 3D looks like it should fill the hand nice but may be a little more bulky under the shirt so less concealable.
    The classic looks fine just maybe some hotspots but also it is the standard for a reason I like the hand positions possible.

I will be using for more edc tasks as I live in the city, looking to use it for meal prep and carving hot dog sticks and outdoors tasks when needed. I do have a izula 2 which is great just looking for a little bigger as well but also seeing that the 3 isn’t much bigger in a sense of cutting ability and the 4 might be too big for edc (as im parinoid that some people may see a scary blade…)Thanks for any insights. Sorry if this is on here already (please refer post if possible).

I am also under no delusion that the izula 2 is probably the best all around city edc of them and I don’t need a new knife at all lol.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  2. Crox

Crox Member

Hello,

I have a limited collection but want to provide some feedback as it is pretty quiet.

I have big hands. Not scientific but easily fill XL gloves. So we may have quite different experiences.

I do have a 3 HM. It is quite comfortable for me. However, I do not feel comfortable choking up - there isn’t really a choil- pretty straight into the blade. I had imagined using it to field dress deer but that didn’t feel safe. I find it great for food prep etc. I find the blade to have quite a lot more cutting area than my izula. Note it is also thinner blade stock than the 4. Can be pro or con. This seems like a good option for your described use.

I have held a 4 with new 3d micarta. I expected to love it. Not so. For me, the handle gets narrow at the pinky end. Trying to squeeze hard for good grip felt uncomfortable down the forearm. I might be unique in this…. The 4 would be a pretty big edc in my book.

Having provided input on your direct question, I’d also mention the AGK is my favorite. It IS what I use on deer as the handle locks in and blade profile is perfect for that task. However I wouldn’t think working on a cutting board would be enjoyable.

FBF17B8A-0EAB-4A59-8573-802555D9A455.jpeg 23F60AE8-6E1B-4C6D-B7AB-430A7CC616AB.jpeg 76A8FE7D-FDFB-4098-BD33-761E92569666.jpeg 4544DDB2-F012-41FA-8365-AED32B4A2B5F.jpeg

3. Rustingshack

Rustingshack Member

I dont have a 3. My first question on this forum was very similar. I was skeptical of the handles shapeand size but I now have a 4 with the 3d handles a pr4 with whatever that handle material is a izula with g10 scales and the 5 with the tan micarta? And I love them all. Gonna give you the same advice I got and say you'll be happy with any of them

4. Bozho

Bozho Member

I wear XL sized gloves and find the regular 3 and 4 handles to be short and uncomfortable for me. The HMs are a blessing. I have used them in bloody and slimy conditions and have no worries about the grip, it is solid.
    However since you have medium hands, I think that a regular 3 would be good, very slim, conceals easily, has enough blade for everything and with the guard it can be used for more stabby things.

Canadianknifeguy likes this.
  5. erik

erik Member

I have xxl hands and the stock 3 caused hand cramps with extended use.
    The izzy 2 did not.
    The 4 worked better for me with the tkc extended scales.
    The 3HM is great - and is less jeavy duty than the 4, but is a better slicer than the izzy or 4.
    Otoh, now that there's a 4 in S35vn, that might tip the scales in its favor.

Canadianknifeguy likes this.
  6. Elishea Buckley

Elishea Buckley Member

Yeah I agree with you. Medium hands will work best for the esee 3 with stock handles.

Canadianknifeguy and Bozho like this.
  7. Canadianknifeguy

Canadianknifeguy Member

Thank you all for your responses and pictures of size comparisons. I came to the conclusion that the izula 2 is the Esee for me at this time. If I did things again I think I might have went with the 3hm just for that larger cutting area and traditional look and feel. The other models I was looking at don’t really offer much different (in my opinion) than the izula 2 other than larger size.

I did decide to go with a different knife all together in the end the fallkniven f1. Mostly to try out new things and it’s a different blade and style.

thanks again and will probably end up with a Esee 3hm or 4hm in the future.