Blade Down “Neck Knife” Sheath ??

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by RocketmanDane, Jan 17, 2019.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Let’s talk Neck Knife Sheaths!

I’ll save a new post and continue from previous info.

Any new thoughts?

Ideas?

Experiences?

Pictures?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Mike Smith likes this.
  2. ASH

ASH Member

I think Cody used to carry a mora like that on dual survival. I don't know anyone that makes sheaths designed for that. I have never looked into it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    RocketmanDane likes this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

RocketmanDane and mtngoat like this.
  4. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Probably largely a physics thing... for most small knives, the handle weighs more than the blade, so it's going to default to being tip up, unless the sheath is designed to overcome that. An Izula sheath, for instance, would need to attach to it's lanyard up in the handle area, otherwise it'll likely flip at the earliest opportunity. Could lead to some awkward sheath designs...

ETA: yeah, Cody carried a basic Mora that way through his appearances on Dual Survival.

5. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

I’ve made plenty, and used more than a few.
    Depending on the knife, there are a couple different styles, but it’s important that the sheath have some form of liner or reinforcement to be certain the knife cannot punch through in the event of a fall or other dynamic incident where it is subjected to extreme force.

The picture you posted is a traditional Scandinavian style belt sheath that has been strung on a cord for neck carry, this became popular mainly because of Mors Kochanski, and works reasonably well, particularly since most quality Scandinavian sheaths have a hard liner of wood or plastic, a purpose built sheath will serve even better though.

You typically will need both hands to draw the knife with this style, but it can be accessed easily with either hand, and is convenient to reach while seated, it can also be tucked inside your outer layer of clothing to prevent snagging on brush and is one of the most secure styles against loss besides a full flap sheath.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  6. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@martin_j001
    That makes sense def something to consider when designing a sheath.

@Wolfman Zack
    The blade poking through upwards is a big reason I’m looking at a tip down sheath. The knife in particular I am thinking of is the Cr2.5

Wolfman Zack likes this.
  7. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

If the sheath is made right, puncture is almost impossible, regardless of tip direction.
    I could fall on my Izula in its stock sheath and I would be more concerned about the painful bruising than any chance of it stabbing me.
    For your CR2.5, a simple side sewn sheath with a leather liner/reinforcement would be very secure, and the balance would be fine with a deep pouch style sheath.

Mike Smith and RocketmanDane like this.
  8. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

I just use a regular sheath with some cord run through the belt loop and tied back to itself so it self-tightens on the loop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ManOfSteel, Caleb O, mtngoat and 2 others like this.
  9. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

This is the sheath I primarily carry my CR2.5 in. From Jackal Firearms. I know he has another tip down style for the CR also. When I carry a neck knife it's primarily always tip down. IMG_6387.JPG

10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I started stitching a similar sheath today but rectangular. After more then a few hours and lots of trial and error I figured out I made it to large... looks like I will use the one I’m working on for a Izula or similiar sized blade and I’ll restart for the 2.5 but about 1/2 as big..

mtngoat likes this.
  11. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

I've both made and carried so many tip down neck sheaths I've lost count.

It's by far my favourite carry method for smaller knives. Already mentally planning one for my CR 2.5 once it arrives.

Here's some pics of some previous sheaths I've either made or modded for neck carry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Easily wrapped up for carry in a jacket, cargo pocket or pack/bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's one I made from scraps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one more made from a scraped sheath.

Used the original Mora 510 sheath as a liner, just cut it down to the right size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's an old puukko of mine with a moose hide neck lanyard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

matthew, Strigidae, goon and 4 others like this.
  12. goon

goon Member

BD5F1BDF-0443-4275-8BD9-ED61CADBDFD2.jpeg I like neck carry for smaller / lightweight knives. Specifically, I like to carry across body around mid chest. I bought the kydex from a private maker, adapted the other 510 sheath with a leather frog I made myself, and just made the leather sheath for the Mora Classic.

I’m also thinking about getting another Mora Classic just to have an excuse to try making a back-sewn Scandinavian style sheath. Really liking the project ideas in this discussion.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    matthew, Strigidae, ASH and 2 others like this.
  13. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Let’s talk Neck Knife Sheaths!

I’ll save a new post and continue with previous info..

Any new thoughts?

Ideas?

Experiences?

Pictures?

matthew likes this.
  14. matthew

matthew Member

My main edc knife is in a tip-down leather neck sheath.

I love the Scandinavian back-sewn sheaths, but they are not low profile, and don’t like to lie flat on your chest.

this sheath lies flat and can be worn under a T-shirt with hardly any imprint.

the biggest problem I have is sweat. Leather doesn’t smell great when you sweat into it day after day.

ideal setup might a a similar style kydex.

for someone who carries this way every day for years, I have remarkably little insight or advice. I just know that it’s the way I like to carry, and probably always will.

F8BEE7D1-8E4D-4492-8CFC-1A057C5D7F98.jpeg

Mike Smith and Strigidae like this.
  15. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

You might give 60 mil HDPE a try.

matthew likes this.