Flashlights and only Flashlights!

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT Member

I'll have to take the time to gather up some lights and post them. I keep an i3t eos in copper as an EDC. Has quite a patina as a result. Lumintop Tool AAA lights are all over the place, including a nifty blue-anodized titanium model from Drop. To answer the question above, the Lumintop lights are fantastic.

I've also got a small collection of the now-defunct Foursevens Quark Pro lights floating around here. All are programmed to moonlight(for baby duty) and high strobe(bump in the night) and sitting strategically throughout the house. Love those little CR123 lights.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  2. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I appreciate the reply. I pulled the trigger on the AAA lumintop, since it was only $15 but now I'm wanting something a little bigger. What I want is at least 3 modes including strobe, preferably no bigger than a AA with the possibility to use the 14500 batteries (if I can find them) or rechargeable with a USB type C with the option to use regular AA's, I really want tan color but black is fine, and I don't want to spend a fortune lol. I know, asking too much.

I was looking at the thrunite T10 v2 also, but not sure I like the side button.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I think I may actually have more lights than knives...... I still have the first CR123 light I was issued (Surefire 6Z) and even for an incandescent light it is more than capable. I have tried to move away from CR123 lights (but have many) to AA for commonality of batteries with everything else I carry.

Strigidae, C99c and Drew RedBear like this.
  4. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT Member

I hear you on the CR123 vs common batteries. I've gotten away from AA lights in favor of AAA; but can't shake the lithiums. I run a smattering of Surefire/Streamlight weapon lights that run 123s, so I rationalize the lithium handhelds lol.

Here's one of the Quarks that I had within reach. Nice little programmable lights.
    PXL_20210104_101901310.jpg

Drew RedBear and Strigidae like this.
  5. C99c

C99c Member

I'm trying to only buy lights that are either USB rechargeable themselves or accept 18650s/etc but my latest headlamp is AAA powered and my most used and carried light is still a CR123 version.

At this point UI is still more important to me than battery type.

6. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

IMG_20210107_154214726.jpg My collection so far. I just got the lumintop AA tool today. It's pretty cool, has a rechargeable 14500 battery and a glow in the dark diffuser, as does the AAA, but it came with both a magnetic cap and a click cap. IMG_20210107_142752983_HDR.jpg IMG_20210107_142808433_HDR.jpg
    Forgot about my aaa led maglite.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    Robert Anderson and Strigidae like this.
  7. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

So I got a few more.. My collection so far and damn is addicting lol. IMG_20210208_163913740_HDR.jpg

Strigidae likes this.
  8. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

I have had one of these NEBO LEOs for awhile and find it a pretty handy and versatile light, flood and spot. Hanger and Clip. First one was $12 a couple years ago. Recently found them at $6 each with free shipping on $20 so I picked up four.
    They even threw in a free light that activates when separated from its base.
    Such a deal.

20210211_122000 (2).jpg

IW17 likes this.
  9. Bozho

Bozho Member

I've been using the Olight I5T for some time now - great EDC or backup light. Runtime and modes are excellent.
    I really like having an AA light, as I have plenty of Eneloops and my GPS uses the same batteries.

RickLB likes this.
  10. TerryD

TerryD Member

I've carried this same light for a long time. It's an old Gander Mountain light, used a single AA. I can't remember the output on it, but it's been the handiest light I've found.

I wouldn't mind a slightly slimmer light to carry in a regular pants pocket, but I'm usually in carpenter pants so this one rides in one of the leg pockets.

20210213_173242.jpg

Strigidae, Drew RedBear and Bozho like this.
  11. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I'm looking for a small AAA flashlight for my ESEE 4 rig. I'm between the Fenix E01 and the Olight i3T. is one better than the other? I have heard not so good things about Olights so why I'm asking. Thanks

12. Slade

Slade Member

I’ve never had an issue with olight or fenix. I’d recommend you go with whatever feature/form factor set you prefer and compare the brands apples to apples. I have both and think the slightly higher price of the i3t is justified compared to the fenix. Build quality and output are both better, and I prefer the tail cap operation.

The only light I’ve ever had trouble with was probably my favorite until it stopped working. That was the four sevens beta qr. None of my zebra, olight, fenix, thrunite, emishar, or sup beam lights have ever been anything less than rock solid.

Zeek and Drew RedBear like this.
  13. Bozho

Bozho Member

I have the I3T, great little light, good modes, quite powerful on High. Very durable, mine has taken a beating.
    I prefer the I5T due to using AA instead of AAA, just a lot better battery for me and the same as the ones for my gps.
    I5T is brighter on paper, but more of a flood light, I3T is more concentrated and really bright for AAA.

Slade and Drew RedBear like this.
  14. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I was just discussing on another forum that I am lucky having an Olight STORE near me ! I have not used their lights but been there and bought batteries for other lights. Now that Zebralight wont ship to Australia I will probably look to Olight if I "need" something new....need being very very subjective !!

Slade, Drew RedBear and Strigidae like this.
  15. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Thanks fellas. I think I'll go with the olight then since it has the tail cap. I wish I could find the orange one cheaper than 35.. I'll probably get the black one then.

Slade likes this.
  16. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Ordered the olight this morning :)

Bozho likes this.
  17. Slade

Slade Member

Did you pay extra for orange? Or black? Mine is the red.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  18. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I just got the black. I couldn't see paying an extra 17 for the orange. I got a 20 percent off on Amazon so it was a little cheaper. I want the red one also!

19. Slade

Slade Member

I actually got this one for free when I bought the oknife Drever if I recall correctly.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  20. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Not fair... Lol but nice!