Could You Only Have One?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by NMCoyoteHunter01, Oct 3, 2021.

1. NMCoyoteHunter01

NMCoyoteHunter01 Member

Hard question for some people since its almost next to impossible to choose just one knife for most adventures. I have just decided that for my personal use of knives I really just need one good reliable fixed blade that can can handle anything from hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. Essentially just a general purpose knife that could pair well with a hatchet/tomahawk and multitool. Here’s what I’m thinking:
    1. Esee 3 w/ 3D
    2. Becker BK16 w/ Micarta Scales
    3. Esee AGK
    4. Esee 4 w/ 3D
    5. Mora Garberg
    I kinda have an idea of pros/cons of each and they are in order of what I’m leaning towards. Really just looking for a knife that’s 3.5”-4.5”, under $150 after additional kydex sheath, and good for game processing but can handle bushcraft/survival work.
    What would you choose if you could only have one?

Twoody88 and Elishea Buckley like this.
  2. Elishea Buckley

Elishea Buckley Member

Can't go wrong with an esee 4 or the becker bk16. Esee 3 is a great knife but cannot handle everything with the thinner and shorter blade stock. I love my esee 4 and if I had to choose hands down it'd be my esee 4.

Twoody88 likes this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

From your list, the 4 without question.

Strigidae and Twoody88 like this.
  4. kihnspiracy

kihnspiracy Member

ESEE 4 would be my choice.

Twoody88 likes this.
  5. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

4 please !

6. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Off of your list..But id go with a 6 personally !

Elishea Buckley likes this.
  7. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Out of your list I would go with the 4. If you are also taking an axe you could get away with something a little smaller than the 4 but it is great for a main blade. Definately get the contoured handles and I am a big fan of stainless steel. For the last month or so my 4 has been helping out in the kitchen until my LT Wright kitchen knife gets here (Hopefully soon! LT Wright has about a 6 week wait for most new orders right now...).

I would say it is much too thick for a kitchen knife but it is sharp, fun, and gets the job done. Cut up some blue cheese earlier today for a snack and we are having chicken tonight :)

20211004_163832.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Strigidae and Elishea Buckley like this.
  8. NMCoyoteHunter01

NMCoyoteHunter01 Member

The 4 seems to be the main choice but why would I choose it over something similar like the Bk16?

9. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

It's an ESEE, no questions asked warranty, stainless steel is a big plus for me, it is a great size, and all around it is a quality knife. Just note the finger choil isn't for everyone and some people also pick up the molle back. It really comes down to personal preference. And you did ask the question on the ESEE forum, people here might be a little bias... :D

10. Elishea Buckley

Elishea Buckley Member

Personally, I don't like buying a knife and immediately having to buy different scales and a sheath just to get the knife the way it should have been sold from the factory. Sure they'll work, but they also feel cheap with those plastic scales on and basic Cordura sheaths. Esee already comes complete with good quality and no immediate need to upgrade anything. You'll already have way more into a bk16 after new micarta scales and a better kydex sheath for it than its really worth in my opinion.

11. erik

erik Member

Between the original 4 and the bk16, for me the 16 won. No useless (to me) choil and a slightly longer handle.
    The 4hm makes that a much tougher call.
    A stainless AGK would also be a strong contender.